WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum


Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 629 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: DCU: Reloaded
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:01 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm
Posts: 10199
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2013/02/11/geoff-johns-on-the-conclusion-to-his-epic-green-lantern-run

Well, I didn't see that coming...


Could this be the end of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wt6XlVob_E

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DCU: Reloaded
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:17 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
feliciano182 wrote:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2013/02/11/geoff-johns-on-the-conclusion-to-his-epic-green-lantern-run

Well, I didn't see that coming...


Could this be the end of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wt6XlVob_E


Yes yes, all green lantern stories should be based off a six page story out of a tales of the GL corps story, we know...

Furthermore, according to the solicits, all four Green Lantern titles are getting new writers.

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DCU: Reloaded
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:58 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm
Posts: 10199
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Yes yes, all green lantern stories should be based off a six page story out of a tales of the GL corps story, we know...


Keep dismissing it all you want, three short stories from Alan Moore eat away anything Geoff Johns has ever written on Green Lantern :lol:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DCU: Reloaded
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:10 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
feliciano182 wrote:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Yes yes, all green lantern stories should be based off a six page story out of a tales of the GL corps story, we know...


Keep dismissing it all you want, three short stories from Alan Moore eat away anything Geoff Johns has ever written on Green Lantern :lol:


Seeings as how I've read all of Moore's stories and nearly all of Johns 10 year run... I have to say you are full of so much crap here. The stuff Johns did with the corps made it unique to all the other DC books and made a B list character truly worthy of his standing amongst the Justice League.

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DCU: Reloaded
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:04 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm
Posts: 10199
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Seeings as how I've read all of Moore's stories and nearly all of Johns 10 year run... I have to say you are full of so much crap here. The stuff Johns did with the corps made it unique to all the other DC books and made a B list character truly worthy of his standing amongst the Justice League.


I will say, this is as fallacious as you've ever gotten in this forum Doctor :lol:

And affirmations are cheap, how exactly did he Johns stuff elevate the Green Lantern concept more than Moore ever did ? Did Geoff Johns ever conceive forms of life beyond anthropomorphic pseudo-humans ? Like living planets ? Viruses and sentient mathematical constructs ? Did Johns ever write about the parts of the universe that bear no light, and in which the concept of a Green Lantern is meaningless ?

Oh right, Johns just recycled all of that for his Green Lantern stories.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DCU: Reloaded
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:07 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
Good god man, how commited to being Anti-Johns are you? Have you read any of his GL stuff? Blackest night brought in a full spectrum and brought out the dark secrets of the corps, and that changed the DCU and the status quo was altered again with Brightest day... all Johns. I would put that stuff above little 8 page stories much like I don't insult Snyder's Batman because Killing Joke did different things with the Joker.

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DCU: Reloaded
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:14 pm 
Offline
Labored long to build a heaven.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 12480
Location: Monster Island (Really New York)
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Good god man, how commited to being Anti-Johns are you? Have you read any of his GL stuff? Blackest night brought in a full spectrum and brought out the dark secrets of the corps, and that changed the DCU and the status quo was altered again with Brightest day... all Johns. I would put that stuff above little 8 page stories much like I don't insult Snyder's Batman because Killing Joke did different things with the Joker.

Incidentally, you know what's awesome? Snyder's Batman. 8-) The conclusion to the Joker story arc comes out Wednesday.

We we we so excited.

_________________
"The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part.
Image
"There's a cello in your house now."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DCU: Reloaded
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:48 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
Godziller66 wrote:
Incidentally, you know what's awesome? Snyder's Batman. 8-) The conclusion to the Joker story arc comes out Wednesday.

We we we so excited.


Thanks Godziller Black.

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DCU: Reloaded
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:54 pm 
Offline
Labored long to build a heaven.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 12480
Location: Monster Island (Really New York)
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Thanks Godziller Black.

Anytime. :mrgreen:

Also, I don't know if Andy Diggle is a good writer or not, but Tony Daniel's taking over artist's spot for Action Comics after Morrison and Morales leave.

Love that guy's art.

_________________
"The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part.
Image
"There's a cello in your house now."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DCU: Reloaded
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:19 am 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm
Posts: 10199
Godziller66 wrote:
Also, I don't know if Andy Diggle is a good writer or not, but Tony Daniel's taking over artist's spot for Action Comics after Morrison and Morales leave.


The Losers

Are we talking about the same Tony Daniel ? From Morrison's Batman run ?

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Good god man, how commited to being Anti-Johns are you? Have you read any of his GL stuff?


This is also an issue that always comes up with you, clearly it's not about talking what parts of Johns were good and what was lackluster, and there's plenty of both; it's that I obviously have a secret, dark vendetta against the man :lol:

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Blackest night brought in a full spectrum and brought out the dark secrets of the corps, and that changed the DCU and the status quo was altered again with Brightest day... all Johns.


The guy tries to make an "ambitious" concept about different types of lanterns representing "different types of emotions from a single spectrum", and not even he realizes that willpower, avarice, hope and death are not even emotions.

What does that tell you Brooklyn ?

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
I would put that stuff above little 8 page stories much like I don't insult Snyder's Batman because Killing Joke did different things with the Joker.


It's not just about different pal, Johns had a fantastic recipe to make the greatest "Pasta A La Marinara", and he just went ahead and made "mac' and cheese".

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DCU: Reloaded
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:26 am 
Offline
Labored long to build a heaven.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 12480
Location: Monster Island (Really New York)
feliciano182 wrote:
Are we talking about the same Tony Daniel ? From Morrison's Batman run ?

Yeah.

_________________
"The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part.
Image
"There's a cello in your house now."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DCU: Reloaded
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:41 am 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
feliciano182 wrote:
The guy tries to make an "ambitious" concept about different types of lanterns representing "different types of emotions from a single spectrum", and not even he realizes that willpower, avarice, hope and death are not even emotions.

What does that tell you Brooklyn ?


Okay, so he misused the word emotion. I believe an adequate response would be to burn down his house and murder his wife. He took an intergalactic peace keeping force and made them an intergalactic peace keeping force, it's not like he made Batman a heroin addicted jazz critic. You are seriously the only person I've seen that dislikes his run as a whole, and I know consensus does not equal correctness, but there has to be something to the fact that people of all walks of life like his Green Lantern stuff.

How much of his green lantern work have you actually read?

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DCU: Reloaded
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:55 am 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm
Posts: 10199
Godziller66 wrote:
Yeah.


Yeeeeeeaaaaaaaah, I don't know who the inker was during Morrison's run, but it was all him, you should see the disaster the main Batman title turned into once Tony Daniel took charge of the thing.

And if you don't believe me, ask the smutts.

Dr.Brooklyn wrote:
Okay, so he misused the word emotion.


Ten years of misguidedly elaborating on a shallow concept is called misuse now ?

Dr.Brooklyn wrote:
He took an intergalactic peace keeping force and made them an intergalactic peace keeping force. You are seriously the only person I've seen that dislikes his run as a whole, and I know consensus does not equal correctness, but there has to be something to the fact that people of all walks of life like his Green Lantern stuff.


What GL writer hasn't done that ? In fact, that's the idea itself you're describing, not what he has actually achieved, if you want me to explain why I thought "Infinite Crisis" was great, I'm not going to tell you "because he gathered a group of superheroes and made them superheroes" :lol: !

And c'mon Brooklyn, be the better man and say something other than "everybody thinks it's great !", I believe you have it in you to at least do that.

Dr.Brooklyn wrote:
How much of his green lantern work have you actually read?


I'd say almost everything with the exception of Blackest Night, latest thing I read from him was "War Of The Green Lanterns", which was utter shit, I have never picked another GL book after that.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DCU: Reloaded
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:04 am 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
feliciano182 wrote:
Ten years of misguidedly elaborating on a shallow concept is called misuse now ?


yes? what else would you call misusing something?

feliciano182 wrote:
What GL writer hasn't done that ?


Apparently Alan Moore, because his stellar three short story run changed the game when it came to GL. I don't disagree with you that Moore had some cool stories, but Johns made the corps really come alive, look at the Guardians before Johns and after. Before, they were really pointless, like Yoda without the wisdom or coolness, just aliens for the sake of aliens. After they've been protagonists to evil despots, the actually played roles in the stories! Also, the other corps (yeah they are mislabeled as emotions, woopty doo, are you proud of yourself for realzing that?) helped to develop the GL part of the DCU. Like the Marvel Cosmic stuff, Johns actually made the Lantern section stand out, instead of being back up Justice League characters there were several books that stood alone and made characters that had been D Listers A listers. Doing that consistently for 10 years, though, can't compete with six pages of a being who can't see getting a ring...

Feliciano182 wrote:
I'd say almost everything with the exception of Blackest Night, latest thing I read from him was "War Of The Green Lanterns", which was utter shit, I have never picked another GL book after that.


So you read over 100 issues of a book you don't like? That sounds like a personal problem...

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DCU: Reloaded
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:26 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm
Posts: 10199
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
yes? what else would you call misusing something?


Uhm........Ten years of misguidedly elaborating on a shallow concept

That's a little beyond than just misusing a word.

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Apparently Alan Moore, because his stellar three short story run changed the game when it came to GL.


Alan Moore's merit, more than changing the game (which practically-speaking he did not do), was about seeing a silly concept like "superheroes in space" and converting it into true, hard science fiction; and in doing so he created Mogo, The "F-Sharp Bell Corps", and the prophecy of the end of the Green Lanterns.

All of which Johns either recycled, killed or retconned.

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
but Johns made the corps really come alive, look at the Guardians before Johns and after. Before, they were really pointless, like Yoda without the wisdom or coolness, just aliens for the sake of aliens. After they've been protagonists to evil despots, the actually played roles in the stories!


Let's play a little politics here so that this can indeed be a discussion:

Among the things I think Geoff Johns does right in his comics (GL included) is making them fun, he knows how to write cool action sequences, he has a good sensibility for depicting violence, and he does make his villains look and act inmensely threatening; though that's not enough for me, I'm not twelve years anymore.

And yes indeed, he did bring The Guardians into the spotlight during his run, however, the idea that the guardians are misguided or corrupt is not Johns' own making, and even in his conception, what was the thing Hal Jordan criticized them the most for ?

Hal Jordan: WHY ARE YOU NOT MORE EMOTIONAL ?!! YOU ARE TOO.........OBJECTIVE............PRAGMATICAL...........UNFEELING !!!

Obviously an exaggeration, but that was always as philosophical as Johns ever got, and it was pathetic; emotionality, or lack thereof, has nothing to do with your capacity to make adequate judgements, and rather than realizing that and going deeper into what exactly made the Guardians so misguided in their agendas.........he just made them out to be old farts.

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Also, the other corps (yeah they are mislabeled as emotions, woopty doo, are you proud of yourself for realzing that?)


Please bitch, you always remember every time I tell you :lol:

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
made the Lantern section stand out, instead of being back up Justice League characters there were several books that stood alone and made characters that had been D Listers A listers. Doing that consistently for 10 years, though, can't compete with six pages of a being who can't see getting a ring...


The Green Lantern idea, fundamented on the notion of being able to see and distinguish colors, was questioned by Alan Moore when he simply thought: "Well, what about naturally blind alien folk ?"

Which he then answered with a story about creatures who are alien to aliens themselves, in that story alone, he described a challenge that was far more interesting than whatever fight The Sinestro Corps might be having with The Green Lanterns were having at the moment, Alan Moore wrote, in complete fantasy, about a reality that exists in our very world, he didn't just spoke about a "being who can't see getting a ring", he spoke about language barriers, about cultural barriers.

That's incredibly endearing to me, and that's something I've honestly never seen Geoff Johns do.

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
So you read over 100 issues of a book you don't like? That sounds like a personal problem...


Whaaaa......no way, I am well aware of what I've read for over 100 issues, Hellblazer, Batman, Hulk; certainly not Johns' Green Lantern; what I can remember the most clearly in my mind are Rebirth, Sinestro Coprs War, and War Of The Green Lanterns, some issues more, some issues less.

Maybe I'm just piling up the GL coprs issues as well, which is making it feel like I read a ton more.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DCU: Reloaded
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:42 am 
Offline
Labored long to build a heaven.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 12480
Location: Monster Island (Really New York)
So yeah, I have a couple questions about Batman #17. Nothing too major, but I haven't seen them addressed anywhere else. Maybe Brooklyn can help me out.

*Spoilers* First off, what's that little black book Bruce picks up after his fight with the Joker? I feel like it must have been set up in a previous issue, but I just don't remember it and I don't feel like back tracking. Second, why in the world does the Joker have glasgow smile scars instead of a red smile in the flashback at the end? This would be all well and good, but it's been established multiple times in the New 52 that the Joker's origins were not of the Heath Ledger variety. Anyway, these were just some things that confused me. *Spoilers*

_________________
"The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part.
Image
"There's a cello in your house now."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DCU: Reloaded
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:44 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
This is a spoiler, so click only if you don't care about having Batman Inc. 8 spoiled. http://ifanboy.com/articles/breaking-so ... -spoilers/

My reaction...

Image

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DCU: Reloaded
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:59 pm 
Offline
Labored long to build a heaven.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 12480
Location: Monster Island (Really New York)
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
This is a spoiler, so click only if you don't care about having Batman Inc. 8 spoiled. http://ifanboy.com/articles/breaking-so ... -spoilers/

My reaction...

Image

Damn, man.

_________________
"The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part.
Image
"There's a cello in your house now."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DCU: Reloaded
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:57 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm
Posts: 10199
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
This is a spoiler, so click only if you don't care about having Batman Inc. 8 spoiled. http://ifanboy.com/articles/breaking-so ... -spoilers/

My reaction...

Image


I just found out about this merely from scrolling innocently through facebook.

I did not want to find out about this without first reading the damn thing.

What is it about comic book media that they just have to "announce" the shit out of every important plot point ? Do they have to actively spoil everything every single time ? Is this industry so far into the sewers that these stunts have become a financial necessity ?

And what the fuck is it with Grant Morrison casually commenting on it ? Is he on fucking mushrooms ?

GAAAAAAAAHHHHH !!!!!!!!!

*inhales.............exhales*

Aside from this entire fiasco, I expected as much; give the New 52 six or seven years, when "X" character from these recent news goes into puberty, and starts to grow old, then you have to deal with this horrible thing called consistency, in the sense that, if son grows old, then father has to follow suit.

Unfortunately, we will never be mature enough to accept life and death in comics, and thus is the reason why any of this was given the green light.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DCU: Reloaded
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:55 am 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
feliciano182 wrote:
Unfortunately, we will never be mature enough to accept life and death in comics, and thus is the reason why any of this was given the green light.


Nightwing.

Also, I love the irony here about you talking about how mainstream comics can't deal with death while discussing a story about the death of a character.

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 629 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.119s | 13 Queries | GZIP : Off ]