WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:05 pm 
Labored long to build a heaven.

Thwippe. This is pretty fun. Honestly, it has a more coherent story than the main Marvel 1602 by Gaiman.

This is a great romantic light-hearted superhero comic. It's way better than the romance subplot in the Thor movie.

See, you'd think this would've been a cheap money grab off shoot from the television series, but it's actually really good. Its quality reflects the quality of the animated series and that's impressive.

A really good sci-fi time travel romance story. It's a beautiful book.

This episodic series is really good. I'd recommend picking it up and giving it a read. Each issue is just Moon Knight tackling some strange threat in New York City like each issue is a television episode. But, like, a television episode of Samurai Jack where there's a lot of style and elegant minimalism going on. It's pretty awesome. There's an issue that seems very clearly inspired by The Raid except instead of an entire swat team, it's Moon Knight.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:13 pm 

Finally got around to reading all of Secret Six just in time for its relaunch tomorrow. It wasn't blowing my mind when it came to the original two mini-series, but then when the main series hit, things got crazy good. It's a lot of fun.

An excellent re-telling of Captain America's first emergence into the Marvel universe upon being thawed out of his big ol' ice block. It's essentially all about Captain America adjusting to being a man out of time, as the title would imply, and what that means to him on both a personal level as well as what it means for America and the way it's changed since the "greatest generation" won the war.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:13 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

In case this image doesn't load, yes, it actually is a Stephen King novel. Anyway, it's pretty well written, and is one of his better, more recent works. While I haven't read much of some of his classics, I will say this novel ended up being one of the bleakest, darkest stories I've read of his so far. Imagine storytelling along the lines of "Hearts in Atlantis", with a small dash of supernatural thrown in. So you have a story that is more concerned with characterization, and feeling, than one that pits a protagonist against an antagonist.

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:45 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Very interested in reading it, t3cii. I have a whole bunch of books I want to get through but Revival may very well be in my Christmas batch. Anyway, I last read a book of interviews with mexican screenwriters and it was quite informative and entertaining. Right now I'm reading a book about Nazi infiltration in Mexico and it's fascinating.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:31 pm 
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.

t3cii wrote:

In case this image doesn't load, yes, it actually is a Stephen King novel. Anyway, it's pretty well written, and is one of his better, more recent works. While I haven't read much of some of his classics, I will say this novel ended up being one of the bleakest, darkest stories I've read of his so far. Imagine storytelling along the lines of "Hearts in Atlantis", with a small dash of supernatural thrown in. So you have a story that is more concerned with characterization, and feeling, than one that pits a protagonist against an antagonist.

For once, the image should've been broke.
Then when the inevitable "So stephen king wrote this?"

You would've been like

"Yeah"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:58 pm 

Grant Morrison and Mark Millar's stab at creating an original superhero is not bad. He continued on in Morrison's JLA until the final story arc when he fought Mageddon. It's just a shame he's no longer around, he hasn't been in a ton of comics.

Exactly what it looks like and it is pretty good.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:03 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

NiteOwl wrote:
t3cii wrote:

You would've been like

"Yeah"

I think that has already happened once.

Anyway, I just finished this:
, and it was fun to read; amazing how the whole thing operates like a lighthearted summer blockbuster, but there's tons of darkness in the subtext and themes. It captures what it's like to be a teenager very well. Is the rest of the series worth reading, though? I can see how things can be expanded upon, but I almost enjoy the ambiguity of the ending of this volume, and I wouldn't want to read the rest if it sucks.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:43 pm 

TheMovieDude wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:
t3cii wrote:

You would've been like

"Yeah"

I think that has already happened once.

Anyway, I just finished this:
, and it was fun to read; amazing how the whole thing operates like a lighthearted summer blockbuster, but there's tons of darkness in the subtext and themes. It captures what it's like to be a teenager very well. Is the rest of the series worth reading, though? I can see how things can be expanded upon, but I almost enjoy the ambiguity of the ending of this volume, and I wouldn't want to read the rest if it sucks.

I haven't read all of it, but I'm under the impression that all of the stuff by Brian K. Vaughn is good, but then it gets iffy. So if you've finished all of his issues, stop reading, I guess.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:03 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

DC Universe by Alan Moore.
Some great stuff in here, especially the opening Superman story "For the man who has everything." It shows Moore's flexibility and layered writing. I'll say that the "Voodoo" stuff wasn't all that great; it struck me as a fairly average detective story with drawn partial nudity and gore to make it titiliating but I just didn't find it all that interesting, although Moore does a great job in writing characters. Overall, I recommend it if you want to read more of Moore's writing and take a gander at some of the best Superman stories.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:32 am 

TheMovieDude wrote:
Some great stuff in here, especially the opening Superman story "For the man who has everything." It shows Moore's flexibility and layered writing. I'll say that the "Voodoo" stuff wasn't all that great; it struck me as a fairly average detective story with drawn partial nudity and gore to make it titiliating but I just didn't find it all that interesting, although Moore does a great job in writing characters. Overall, I recommend it if you want to read more of Moore's writing and take a gander at some of the best Superman stories.

I liked his Green Lantern stories quite a bit. Short, but really creative little things that present some interesting takes on the mythos.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:04 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Godziller66 wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:

I liked his Green Lantern stories quite a bit. Short, but really creative little things that present some interesting takes on the mythos.

Me too. Some really good stuff in there. I needed a bit more context, but amazing how much they covered in terms of themes and character for being very short pieces.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:58 pm 

TheMovieDude wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:

Me too. Some really good stuff in there. I needed a bit more context, but amazing how much they covered in terms of themes and character for being very short pieces.

Geoff Johns actually based a lot of his run on Green Lantern on the Abin Sur story which is pretty interesting. Also, Mogo is the bee's knees.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:45 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

When it's not brought down by its abstract nature or bizarre touches, this is a moving and powerful Batman tale. The other two comics in the collection are fun reads that have fun exploring the Batman universe, but overall, don't make much of an impact.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:58 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Fábulas Pánicas by Alejandro Jodorowsky -
This is a collection of newspaper cartoons Jodorowsky did back in the 60s and early 70s, that were short fables or tables or just doodles he would do to explore philosophical ideas and social commentary. The far from perfect artwork fits perfectly with the humor and brevity with which Jodorowsky attempts to tell these stories, which range from sick and hilarious to surprisingly sweet and moving. Some are self-contradicting or all too preachy, but it's definitely worth a look if you have the slightest interest in Jodorowsky, and who knows, you may find something that helps you in a rough spot in your life, even if it's just a laugh.

I must add that the latest edition by Grijalbo has a color scheme that's too dark sometimes. There dialogue bubbles in the book that are made in black over (very dark) blue, and it's damn near impossible to read. I don't know if it's Jodorowsky fucking with the reader, or the reprinting is just too damn dark.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:58 am 

Hello, I'm here to tell you about our lord and savior, One-Punch Man.

I remember a friend reading the first chapter of this and describing the premise to me a couple years ago and thinking it looked pretty funny. This year, now that it's officially being released digitally in the US, one comics blogger called it the best superhero comic of the year and I find it difficult to disagree. It's really fun. It's very comedic, but it's also a legitimately good superhero comic all around with dramatic moments, touching stories, and a huge array of colorful characters. It is fantastic. It's still going, but there's quite a bit out as it is and you can read it for free here unless you want to buy it officially here.

It's a pretty good time and I think Saitama AKA One-Punch Man is now one of my favorite superheroes.

And, oh yeah, here's the premise.

"This series follows the life of a hero who manages to win all battles with only one punch. This ability seems to frustrate him as he no longer feels the thrill and adrenaline of fighting a tough battle, which leads to him questioning his past desire of being strong."

Things get nuts.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:46 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Wooooaaaaaaaaaaah.
My favorite Stephen King book. It does have some of the usual problems I have with most of King's work I've read, but this is a compelling, scary, sad, etc. etc. this really puts your heart through the mill. It's a great exploration of fear, regret, nostalgia, and even love. It's a very rich novel, completely justifying it's long and epic length.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:31 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

TheMovieDude wrote:

Wooooaaaaaaaaaaah.
My favorite Stephen King book. It does have some of the usual problems I have with most of King's work I've read, but this is a compelling, scary, sad, etc. etc. this really puts your heart through the mill. It's a great exploration of fear, regret, nostalgia, and even love. It's a very rich novel, completely justifying it's long and epic length.

Yeah!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:56 pm 
Tired of Earth.

not bad, it feels as if the mouse's influence is nowhere near this and that the authors are simply following the basic guidelines of not contrasting with the movies by setting this series between 4 and 5. i look forward to reading the rest of this along with the standalone vader and leia series that are coming out soon.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:00 pm 
Tired of Earth.

this just came out

and i love it. better than the main series, i just hope the leia series is as good as this, which i can't see why not if mark waid is writing.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:10 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Stephen King when he was pretending to not be Stephen King. I really liked this one. It's a page turner. If there is one criticism I might have, it's that I'm not sure he makes the reader feel what it would be like to constantly walk non-stop for several days. Like, since it mostly focuses on one character, he could have really dug into the language, expressed exhaustion, and pain in ways that made you feel like you were experiencing them yourself. He doesn't quite do that, but this is still one of the most confident novels of his I've read.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172  Next