WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:51 pm 
Labored long to build a heaven.

t3cii wrote:

Stephen King when he was pretending to not be Stephen King. I really liked this one. It's a page turner. If there is one criticism I might have, it's that I'm not sure he makes the reader feel what it would be like to constantly walk non-stop for several days. Like, since it mostly focuses on one character, he could have really dug into the language, expressed exhaustion, and pain in ways that made you feel like you were experiencing them yourself. He doesn't quite do that, but this is still one of the most confident novels of his I've read.

Read that in study hall in junior high, Stephen King sure is good at writing fucked up stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:02 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

t3cii wrote:

Stephen King when he was pretending to not be Stephen King. I really liked this one. It's a page turner. If there is one criticism I might have, it's that I'm not sure he makes the reader feel what it would be like to constantly walk non-stop for several days. Like, since it mostly focuses on one character, he could have really dug into the language, expressed exhaustion, and pain in ways that made you feel like you were experiencing them yourself. He doesn't quite do that, but this is still one of the most confident novels of his I've read.

I kinda disagree with you. Throughout the book he mentions details about the walkers and their feet, and just how fucked up they get. Maybe he could've written more, but I still got a pretty vivid idea of what that might be like. But you're right, this is a very good book from him.

Anyway, I finished:

It's okay. Sharp Objects and Gone Girl are much better. This one is too slow and doesn't quite hit the mark as the other two, but the climax and ending are amazing.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:06 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

TheMovieDude wrote:
I kinda disagree with you.

Bastard!

TheMovieDude wrote:
Throughout the book he mentions details about the walkers and their feet, and just how fucked up they get.

Right, but it never really goes beyond "their feet hurt". He tells us, but I'd rather he described it to us. When it comes to Garraty, the lead character, I'm not sure he really puts the reader in his head space. Considering these characters walk non stop for almost a week, I would have liked to have read what that felt like. Because the Long Walk is torture. He conveys the sense of despair, well enough, just not so much the physical pain, and delirium that would come in partaking in such an activity as constantly walking with no rest. That's something that kind of took me out of the story at times, I kept thinking "they've really walked for five days without rest?"

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:33 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Speaking of Stephen King...

8/10
For at least half the novel, I was convinced this was a blast, but this would end up being another book like "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" for me; entertaining, but not much else. And yes, the book never abandons its pulpiness, but it ends up being far more engaging and psychologically complex than it seems at first. The lead characters are a lot of fun, and I can't wait to follow them in their next adventure.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:27 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

TheMovieDude wrote:

8/10
For at least half the novel, I was convinced this was a blast, but this would end up being another book like "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" for me; entertaining, but not much else. And yes, the book never abandons its pulpiness, but it ends up being far more engaging and psychologically complex than it seems at first. The lead characters are a lot of fun, and I can't wait to follow them in their next adventure.

Revival is a much better book, in my opinion. And I'm surprised you found Tom Gordon to be entertaining. I thought it was a really boring book.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:50 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

t3cii wrote:
TheMovieDude wrote:

8/10

Revival is a much better book, in my opinion. And I'm surprised you found Tom Gordon to be entertaining. I thought it was a really boring book.

Keep in mind I read it when I was in High School, I don't know what I would think of it now. Although back then it kind of turned me off from reading more by King. I'm excited about reading Revival, though. It sounds really interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:58 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Hopefully I haven't built up Revival too much. Also, you should read The Eyes of The Dragon. It's one I've talked about a few times before, but it's a 1980's King fantasy novel, with a medieval Flagg as the villain. I'd recommend that over Revival, or any other new King novel you might be thinking of reading.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:19 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

t3cii wrote:
Hopefully I haven't built up Revival too much. Also, you should read The Eyes of The Dragon. It's one I've talked about a few times before, but it's a 1980's King fantasy novel, with a medieval Flagg as the villain. I'd recommend that over Revival, or any other new King novel you might be thinking of reading.

I've wanted to read that one lately! But last time I was at Barnes and Noble, they didn't seem to have it. I'll give it another shot or just look for it online later on.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:10 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

You always check your local library. I haven't paid for a book in years.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:35 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

t3cii wrote:
You always check your local library. I haven't paid for a book in years.

Juárez doesn't really have a library : / I mean, it does. Different ones, but they're small and don't offer a lot. The biggest ones are part of the University and as a student I can check books out, but only as a student and I'm about to graduate. Also, they mostly offer the books in spanish instead of the original language. Another reason why sometimes I miss El Paso, the University there almost always had the books I wanted to read or was looking for, or I could have them for an exchange without much hassle.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:55 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

That sucks. Why, just yesterday, I was at the library and saw three copies of Mr. Mercedes on the shelf. I could take out one book to read, one for a foot rest, and one for a paper weight.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:36 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

t3cii wrote:
That sucks. Why, just yesterday, I was at the library and saw three copies of Mr. Mercedes on the shelf. I could take out one book to read, one for a foot rest, and one for a paper weight.

And if you're not reading the reading copy, you could always use it as a coaster.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:41 pm 
Tired of Earth.

now i know a bunch of us love watching anime, but i don't know how many o y'all read manga as well

i found this little horror series called fuan no tane, it's basically the japanese twilight zone. pretty neat stuff, give it a read here if you want

http://www.mangareader.net/fuan-no-tane-plus/1

just a note, you don't have to select each individual issue, you can just keep clicking next.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:35 am 

WJK wrote:
now i know a bunch of us love watching anime, but i don't know how many o y'all read manga as well

i found this little horror series called fuan no tane, it's basically the japanese twilight zone. pretty neat stuff, give it a read here if you want

http://www.mangareader.net/fuan-no-tane-plus/1

just a note, you don't have to select each individual issue, you can just keep clicking next.

Nice. I don't read manga frequently, but when I find one I like, I really get into it and this sounds right up my alley.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:24 pm 

So I've been reading a lot of great things lately, but here are a couple of comics that were really good and I'll totally forget about if I don't recommend them now because I don't own them personally.

This is an eight issue fantastical/science-fictional crime drama series. It takes place across several different periods of time, past, present, and future in which the same dead body is found murdered. It's pretty trippy and very good.

Hey, speaking of stories that take place across multiple times, a friend let me borrow this as a general introduction to The Goon, a long-running series where a hardboiled professional criminal regularly has to deal with the occasional supernatural threat. This explores Goon's origins while also telling a story in the present, with each one serving as a foil to the other. It's a quick read, but it was super neat and I look forward to reading more of the series in the future.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:18 am 
Tired of Earth.

brian wood and vikings? yes pls.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:08 pm 

Well, images don't seem to work on this website anymore. At least for me, on multiple computers. Probably because I've since become aware of The Matrix. However, I read a couple of really good things recently that I'll also forget about if I don't post about them now because I don't own them.

The Flash: The Return of Barry Allen by Mark Waid

A tale of legacy, heroes, villains, mentors, and fulfilling your potential exploring Wally West's place as the successor to The Flash who died saving the multiverse while Wally has to deal with a threat unlike one he's ever faced before. Some call this the best Flash story ever. I haven't read a massive amount of Flash comics, but I can believe it. It really captures a lot of great things about the genre in a very heartfelt and earnest way.

The Avengers: Ultron Unlimited by Kurt Busiek

As the Avengers fear most, Ultron returns and this time, he commits his most heinous deeds yet while new revelations are revealed about Hank Pym, shedding new and horrifying light on both Pym and Ultron himself. People call this the best Ultron story and again, I'm inclined to agree.

Also, The Avengers are bad-asses.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:49 pm 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

Finally read that Ready Player One book everybody has been yammering about.

It's not very good.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:29 am 

Hey, so, X-O Manowar and East of West are really good.

The former being as if Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor had a superhero baby and it's actually executed really well while the latter is an apocalyptic sci-fi Western about a crazy alternate history where the Civil War went on much longer than it did.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:46 am 
Tired of Earth.

that sounds pretty neat

just finished frank miller's ronin, that was a good read.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172  Next