WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum


Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:34 pm 
Offline
Crimebuster

Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:30 am
Posts: 35
1991 Valiant: Solar: "Alpha and Omega"
Originally a 10 part insert in Solar issues 1-10
Written by Jim Shooter with art by Barry Windsor-Smith
Considered one of the best TPBs ever made.

1. Create a new file in your computer.

2. Go to http://www.mediafire.com/?mnmmt1tmgqd

3. Download file into the new folder

4. When done downloading, unzip and enjoy!

I would love you guys to check this story out and discuss!

Thanks to DoomsdayClock for the help in doing this-


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:05 pm 
Offline
Labored long to build a heaven.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 12480
Location: Monster Island (Really New York)
Looking forward to reading it.

_________________
"The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part.
Image
"There's a cello in your house now."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:28 pm 
Offline
Crimebuster

Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:30 am
Posts: 35
For those concerned about the material- my dead trademark on Solar is as valid as Western Publishing's... you can search it on the USPTO website.

HOW TO USE THE FILE
Page up/down flips the pages, arrows scroll up and down.

I promise you guys it's a kosher download- I just want to have a discussion about this awesome story!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:46 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm
Posts: 10199
Nice contribution friend, will make sure to read it.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:15 am 
Offline
Tired of Earth.
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:19 pm
Posts: 8131
Location: 1060 W. Addison St.
Got it downloaded, will give it a read-through in just a minute.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:21 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
Went to download it, said the link was broken.

I don't know if I did something wrong or what

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:32 pm 
Offline
Government-Sponsored Weirdo
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:39 am
Posts: 7191
Location: Everywhere, Everywhen, UK.
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Went to download it, said the link was broken.

I don't know if I did something wrong or what


it's working for me, :|

_________________
We're all actors, Laurie. I'm just an actor who read the script. :?
ImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:53 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
AvatarIII wrote:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Went to download it, said the link was broken.

I don't know if I did something wrong or what


it's working for me, :|


Well, I just tried it again... and it worked perfectly.

So, totally my fault

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:43 pm 
Offline
Government-Sponsored Weirdo
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:39 am
Posts: 7191
Location: Everywhere, Everywhen, UK.
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
AvatarIII wrote:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Went to download it, said the link was broken.

I don't know if I did something wrong or what


it's working for me, :|


Well, I just tried it again... and it worked perfectly.

So, totally my fault


or your computer's fault or your isp's or whatever, i doubt it could actually be your fault. :|

_________________
We're all actors, Laurie. I'm just an actor who read the script. :?
ImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:50 am 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm
Posts: 10199
:shock:

Ok, I have to apologize jmpet, I didn't expect this to be so fucking awesome.

What a beautiful story, everything, the writing, the art, it all works perfectly.

And I must admit, I might have to hold back on my thoughts on what would happen in a Solar Vs Manhattan fight !

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:48 am 
Offline
Tired of Earth.
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:19 pm
Posts: 8131
Location: 1060 W. Addison St.
feliciano182 wrote:
:shock:

Ok, I have to apologize jmpet, I didn't expect this to be so fucking awesome.

What a beautiful story, everything, the writing, the art, it all works perfectly.

And I must admit, I might have to hold back on my thoughts on what would happen in a Solar Vs Manhattan fight !



This, I just finished it.


Faaaaack.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:44 am 
Offline
Crimebuster

Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:30 am
Posts: 35
Hoping a few more of you folks would read it before I start with the spoilers and discussion about the story.

A few things to clarify without spoiling it for anyone.

Solar #1-10 had this as a 6 page insert in the middle of the comic books. BWS is a slow artist so Shooter used him for 6 pages a month. Solar #1-10 are stories that take place after these events and those have art by Don Perlin.

The center page of Solar #1-10 is a double splash. All 10 double splashes come together to form one image: the last panel of the story; the world's largest comic book panel (it's 20 pages big).

This story is the beginning of the Valiant Universe. The story ends, then chronologically you read the regular story in Solar #1-4 for "Second Death", which is the second half of this story which takes place after "Alpha and Omega".

As I said- this is some of the best comic book storytelling I have seen and I am fairly certain Solar could give Jon a run for his money.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:18 am 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm
Posts: 10199
jmpet wrote:
This story is the beginning of the Valiant Universe. The story ends, then chronologically you read the regular story in Solar #1-4 for "Second Death", which is the second half of this story which takes place after "Alpha and Omega".


You wouldn't have it..............available for download.............right :oops: ?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:28 am 
Offline
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:29 am
Posts: 4978
feliciano182 wrote:
jmpet wrote:
This story is the beginning of the Valiant Universe. The story ends, then chronologically you read the regular story in Solar #1-4 for "Second Death", which is the second half of this story which takes place after "Alpha and Omega".


You wouldn't have it..............available for download.............right :oops: ?


It's easy to find when you search Valiant on demonoid or piratebay

_________________
Say, Doc, did I ever tell you I'm the only metal that's liquid at room temperature?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:39 am 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm
Posts: 10199
Smutty wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:
jmpet wrote:
This story is the beginning of the Valiant Universe. The story ends, then chronologically you read the regular story in Solar #1-4 for "Second Death", which is the second half of this story which takes place after "Alpha and Omega".


You wouldn't have it..............available for download.............right :oops: ?


It's easy to find when you search Valiant on demonoid or piratebay


True, but that download had pretty good quality, unusual for comics published back in the 90's

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:13 pm 
Offline
Tired of Earth.
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:19 pm
Posts: 8131
Location: 1060 W. Addison St.
feliciano182 wrote:
Smutty wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:
jmpet wrote:
This story is the beginning of the Valiant Universe. The story ends, then chronologically you read the regular story in Solar #1-4 for "Second Death", which is the second half of this story which takes place after "Alpha and Omega".


You wouldn't have it..............available for download.............right :oops: ?


It's easy to find when you search Valiant on demonoid or piratebay


True, but that download had pretty good quality, unusual for comics published back in the 90's


Not true, I've downloaded plenty of old comics with great quality.


Also, I've a question regarding towards the end of the story (spoilers beware):


[ If Solar was able to bring back Pierce when he showed her what he saw, why couldn't he bring back Gale? Surely he could have just absorbed the radiation he poured into her? ]


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:24 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
I was at my lcs and saw a Solar: Man of the Atom mini written by shooter, but it was published by Dark Horse, is that the same character?

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:36 pm 
Offline
Crimebuster

Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:30 am
Posts: 35
>If Solar was able to bring back Pierce when he showed her what he saw, why couldn't he bring back Gayle? Surely he could have just absorbed the radiation he poured into her?

Phil Seleski was in control when he took Erica Pierce behind the veil of reality so he easily brought her back to reality. Seleski in the end had absorbed a sun and didn't realize how much power he had or the limits of his power which are apparently limitless. He drew the radiation back in by converting energy to mass and in the process created a black hole out of himself and that is the end of this story- the black hole absorbs the Earth and kills the planet. What makes Phil Seleski- because he is not Solar- so cool is that he has a brain just like you or me but with limitless powers. Jon, on the other hand got lost in the world of the possible and slowly was detaching himself from the human equation- Seleski just wanted to live a normal life.

Hope that answers your question.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:49 pm 
Offline
Crimebuster

Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:30 am
Posts: 35
>I was at my lcs and saw a Solar: Man of the Atom mini written by Shooter, but it was published by Dark Horse, is that the same character?

Not familiar with that but here's what I know. Solar: Man of the Atom as he was known in the Valiant Universe (VH1) sort of dies in the last issue- Solar #60.

Years later, after Valiant folded Dark Horse grabbed the original rights to Solar from Western Publishing- the character from the 1960's. They reprinted the original Gold Key Solar issues 1-31. This is a different Solar than Valiant's Solar- this is the cheesy 60's superhero with snappy one-liners and not much attention to science.

After that, I bought the rights to Solar but abandoned it when I was unable to secure the copyrights on the storytelling. Sure you can own Solar but the artists and writers created the character in the stories- to secure those rights I would have had to pay off a lot of people a lot of money.

Funny part is when Dark Horse started reprinting GK Solar #1-31 I contacted them and told them that I owned GK Solar #32- an unpublished comic... I have the blue line copy which is the only copy in existence. They emailed me back a year and a half later and I had buried it somewhere in the house by then.

So as far as I know, Jim Shooter did not release any new Solar material with Dark Horse.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:20 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
jmpet wrote:
Funny part is when Dark Horse started reprinting GK Solar #1-31 I contacted them and told them that I owned GK Solar #32- an unpublished comic... I have the blue line copy which is the only copy in existence. They emailed me back a year and a half later and I had buried it somewhere in the house by then.


Wait... how do you have an unpublished comic?

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.100s | 13 Queries | GZIP : Off ]