WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:03 am 
Labored long to build a heaven.

feliciano182 wrote:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Because super heroes are made to do the impossible and defying death is impossible, therefore by remaining young forever they provide escapism to people who DON'T stay young forever.

And thus, comics remain an inferior, immature medium, down below the greatness we've beholden (sp) for years in film and literature.

How can you even exist on this forum and believe that?

Hell, I just read The Filth. That does things, along with a certain other little comic maxi-series, that film and literature can't.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:04 am 
...you're locked in here with me!

feliciano182 wrote:
And thus, comics remain an inferior, immature medium, down below the greatness we've beholden (sp) for years in film and literature.

You act like all movies and books are praised as being high pieces of art. For every Citizen Kane there is a Eurotrip, for every Godfather Part II there is a Snoop Dogg's Hood of Horror, for every Atlas Shrugged there is a Twilight, for every War of the Worlds there is a 50 shades of Gray.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:07 am 

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
You act like all movies and books are praised as being high pieces of art. For every Citizen Kane there is a Eurotrip, for every Godfather Part II there is a Snoop Dogg's Hood of Horror, for every Atlas Shrugged there is a Twilight, for every War of the Worlds there is a 50 shades of Gray.

Are you fucking kidding me Brooklyn ? You haven't even FINISHED reading Atlas Shrugged :lol: !

And I never said that, to be clear, in terms of evolution, film and literature are WAY ahead of mainstream comics, and if it wasn't for the olympian effort of writers like Alan Moore (to only name a single one of so many), who has mostly worked OUTSIDE mainstream comics, and on whom we are shitting on right now by reading "Before Watchmen", we would probably be light years behind on what this beautiful medium is capable of doing.

No, I don't want to have to go to Vertigo every time I want to find stories with REAL stakes and REAL loss, is it so much to ask that I can meet that same criteria with regular good ol' Batman or Superman ?

Godziller66 wrote:

I shouldn't have to say (since I corrected myself earlier) that I am refering to mainstream comics, since you know exactly what I'm talking about. Now, if you choose to keep giving non-answers about why you are so appaled by ideas that are perfectly accepted in other mediums, well, that's an issue for you to resolve.

Last edited by feliciano182 on Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:09 am 

feliciano182 wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:

I shouldn't have to say (since I corrected myself earlier) that I am refering to mainstream comics, since you know exactly what I'm talking about, wether you choose to keep giving non-answers about why you are so appaled by ideas that are perfectly accepted in other mediums is an entirely different matter altogether.

Do you think that mainstream comics are only composed of the DC and Marvel superhero universes? Watchmen's extremely mainstream, man, and it's not the only thing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:10 am 

Godziller66 wrote:
[
Do you think that mainstream comics are only composed of the DC and Marvel superhero universes? Watchmen's extremely mainstream, man, and it's not the only thing.

Well, Watchmen IS a DC superhero story... What about The Dark Knight Returns? Kingdom Come?

Oh hey, this is my 10,000th post!

Last edited by Dr. Brooklyn on Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:20 am 

Godziller66 wrote:

Dark Horse and IDW entertainment pull the exact same shit, Dynamite............once in a while, they've done some things I'm proud of.

In any case, whatever criticisms I say about DC and Marvel, they apply to the formers as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:28 am 

feliciano182 wrote:

And I never said that, to be clear, in terms of evolution, film and literature are WAY ahead of mainstream comics, and if it wasn't for the olympian effort of writers like Alan Moore (to only name a single one of so many), who has mostly worked OUTSIDE mainstream comics, and on whom we are shitting on right now by reading "Before Watchmen", we would probably be light years behind on what this beautiful medium is capable of doing.

This is so stupid, read some golden age comics with Batman and read Snyder's stuff and tell me there has been no evolution, I dare you to! Batman is one of the perfect cases of how everything from his car to his costume to his relationship with Robin has changed and evolved to match the readers. Mainstream comics have evolved much in the way films or literature have.

I have no idea how you can just assume that because the characters don't actually have their lives on the line the stories are therefore without gravitas... Have you ever watched a Pixar movie and thought... I bet Woody is going to die! or This is the Scene where Mike and Sully fall to their deaths... no, because death does not make a story mature, the greater themes do.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:48 am 

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
This is so stupid, read some golden age comics with Batman and read Snyder's stuff and tell me there has been no evolution, I dare you to! Batman is one of the perfect cases of how everything from his car to his costume to his relationship with Robin has changed and evolved to match the readers. Mainstream comics have evolved much in the way films or literature have.

I have no idea how you can just assume that because the characters don't actually have their lives on the line the stories are therefore without gravitas... Have you ever watched a Pixar movie and thought... I bet Woody is going to die! or This is the Scene where Mike and Sully fall to their deaths... no, because death does not make a story mature, the greater themes do.

You guys just wear me down, WAY too tired to see this through.

I'll just leave you, Brooky, with a thought:

What if Steve Rogers heroically died to save Earth ? What if there was no way for him to come back ever ?

Dead is dead.

And what if Bucky permanently took his place ? Until he died as well, and time would come for another succesor.

What would be so wrong about that ?

Good night everyone, and happy birthday Brooklyn !

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:53 am 

feliciano182 wrote:

What would be so wrong about that ?

Want my honest answer?

I'd be okay with that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:58 am 

feliciano182 wrote:
What if Steve Rogers heroically died to save Earth ? What if there was no way for him to come back ever ?

Dead is dead.

*puts hand on Feli's shoulder*

I think you're having trouble understanding the concept of fiction.

I'm not a big fan of the constant status quo per se (see Spider-man), but I'm just saying that people can do whatever they want with fictional characters in their universes and they shouldn't feel the need to kill them off for good if they don't want.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:00 am 

Dr.Brooklyn wrote:
Want my honest answer?

I'd be okay with that.

The best part about this "Legacy" idea is that it ACTUALLY acknowledges superheroes as gods, when another person assumes the identity of a retired or deceased hero, it becomes a statement about the trascendence of the idea that the hero represents, and thus Batman becomes more than just a man in cowl, Superman becomes more than a powerful alien.

In Captain America's case, the idea would be that an american can die (Steve Rogers), but America itself cannot die (Bucky).

Godziller66 wrote:

I'm not a big fan of the constant status quo per se (see Spider-man), but I'm just saying that people can do whatever they want with fictional characters in their universes and they shouldn't feel the need to kill them off for good if they don't want.

Wether you choose to be offended for no reason at all, at a completely benign and inquisitive question, is up to you:

What are you so afraid of ?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:35 pm 

feliciano182 wrote:
Dr.Brooklyn wrote:
Want my honest answer?

I'd be okay with that.

The best part about this "Legacy" idea is that it ACTUALLY acknowledges superheroes as gods, when another person assumes the identity of a retired or deceased hero, it becomes a statement about the trascendence of the idea that the hero represents, and thus Batman becomes more than just a man in cowl, Superman becomes more than a powerful alien.

In Captain America's case, the idea would be that an american can die (Steve Rogers), but America itself cannot die (Bucky).

Godziller66 wrote:

Wether you choose to be offended for no reason at all, at a completely benign and inquisitive question, is up to you:

What are you so afraid of ?

Jesus Christ, stop asking that. It's irritating and not conducive to discussion.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:13 pm 

Godziller66 wrote:
Jesus Christ, stop asking that. It's irritating and not conducive to discussion.

Obviously you don't read my posts...

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Yeah, but he can't prove you wrong... so he's going to just keep asking a question with no answer and every time you don't answer it he'll comment about how you're avoiding answering the question.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:37 pm 

http://superpodcasto.com/2012/08/the-ma ... d-teasers/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:26 am 

Why this is certainly a new kind of bot :o !

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:29 am 

Godziller66 wrote:
http://superpodcasto.com/2012/08/the-marvel-now-word-teasers/

The only one I'm confused on is the Extended one with Fraction/Allred... I really don't have any ideas as to what that is referring to.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:16 pm 
Vigilante

And that's why I don't get track of ongoing series.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:20 pm 

ElOctopodo wrote:

In a way, like the New 52, this could be a way to keep track.

But that's not gonna happen, because Marvel is a terrible company.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:37 pm 

ElOctopodo wrote:

uhh Why?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:03 pm 
Vigilante

feliciano182 wrote:
ElOctopodo wrote:

But that's not gonna happen, because Marvel is a terrible company.
feliciano182 wrote:
ElOctopodo wrote:

That's why I thought with New 52, but after I read the first reviews, I gave up.

Godziller66 wrote:
ElOctopodo wrote:

uhh Why?

I'm just afraid to see some character reference a plotline I don't know of. Or that I only get half of the story if I don't buy every comic book. Or that I will never have the full story because the continuity gets rebooted without notice. Or that even if I buy everything, it won't matter if the next issue doesn't reference anything.

I've never been able to carry on with it, I just feel I don't get what I've paid for.
And reboots won't make people read comics. Publishing those stories in graphic novels, with beginning and end, will.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next