WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:40 am 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

Quote:
I think a lot of people are surprised that you've remained dedicated to writing superhero comics for this long. Did you always foresee a waning of that work, or did it sneak up on you that "I'm not sure if I need to write anymore superhero stories"?

The idea was always that I'd keep doing it as long as it gave me a lot of pleasure and allowed me to express myself . And it still does, but I can see the end coming closer. I'm coming to the end of long runs and stories I've had planned in my notebooks for years and the stuff I’m developing now is quite different.

The "Action Comics" run concludes with issue #16, "Batman Incorporated" wraps up my take with issue #12, and after that I don’t have any plans for monthly superhero books for a while. "Multiversity" is eight issues and I’m 30-odd pages into a Wonder Woman project but those are finite stories.

I'm not saying that I'll never write superheroes again. It's just that my relationship to them has changed especially after finishing the book and I’m not sure if I want to maintain the same kind of relentless level of production.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=40014

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:31 pm 
Labored long to build a heaven.

Quote:
I think a lot of people are surprised that you've remained dedicated to writing superhero comics for this long. Did you always foresee a waning of that work, or did it sneak up on you that "I'm not sure if I need to write anymore superhero stories"?

The idea was always that I'd keep doing it as long as it gave me a lot of pleasure and allowed me to express myself . And it still does, but I can see the end coming closer. I'm coming to the end of long runs and stories I've had planned in my notebooks for years and the stuff I’m developing now is quite different.

The "Action Comics" run concludes with issue #16, "Batman Incorporated" wraps up my take with issue #12, and after that I don’t have any plans for monthly superhero books for a while. "Multiversity" is eight issues and I’m 30-odd pages into a Wonder Woman project but those are finite stories.

I'm not saying that I'll never write superheroes again. It's just that my relationship to them has changed especially after finishing the book and I’m not sure if I want to maintain the same kind of relentless level of production.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=40014

Haven't read the full interview yet, but he's taken breaks from superheroes in the past to write other stuff. I'm not that shocked or even concerned, honestly, because the stuff we have is great and plentiful, but this is the first time I've heard how long Action Comics and Batman Incorporated are going to go on. And Action's already on Issue 12 by now, so it's ending relatively soon.

Anyway, you guys should read his book if you haven't. It's pretty great.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:16 pm 

Incidentally, here he is talking about Multiversity. It sounds really interesting and ambitious. I actually hadn't heard of it until the creation of this thread.

I also think it's interesting that the second volume of Batman Incorporated will apparently serve as the conclusion to his Batman Epic.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:23 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

Godziller66 wrote:

That book has been a bad influence on you:

Godziller66 wrote:
Batman, Superman, and the like are essentially gods we've created. What would be the point in killing them?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:41 pm 

feliciano182 wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:

Godziller66 wrote:
Batman, Superman, and the like are essentially gods we've created. What would be the point in killing them?

That's just, like, your opinion, man.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:43 pm 

Godziller66 wrote:
That's just, like, your opinion, man.

You should read more Ennis bro, you need to balance that Morrison excess somehow !

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:47 am 

feliciano182 wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:

Godziller66 wrote:

Wait... am I wrong in remembering that you usually praise Morrison as a genius?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:34 am 

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:

I don't know if I ever used the word "genius", even if he is one of the best comic book writers to ever grace the medium.

What I'm deffinitely sure of is that I've pointed out what I consider to be his recurrent flaws, but of course, that's the type of stuff you conveniently like to forget about :D !

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:06 am 

feliciano182 wrote:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:

I don't know if I ever used the word "genius", even if he is one of the best comic book writers to ever grace the medium.

What I'm deffinitely sure of is that I've pointed out what I consider to be his recurrent flaws, but of course, that's the type of stuff you conveniently like to forget about :D !

I'm pretty sure you just didn't understand his commentary about Super heroes as being the modern pantheon, it's okay though.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:46 pm 

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:

I'm pretty sure you just didn't understand his commentary about Super heroes as being the modern pantheon, it's okay though.

Your passive aggressiveness is occasionally annoying.