WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:41 am 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

I just found out that Scott Pilgrim is being published in colour! the first volume was just released, and I'm not sure how to feel about it.

you can have a look at the first few pages of the coloured in version on Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/reader/16201 ... eader-link
and here are some samples that were shown around the web when it was announced at the end of march
http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/03/3 ... r-reprint/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:27 pm 
Tired of Earth.

it's pretty much how i imagined it being in color.

no complaints from me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:36 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

Seeing as how Bryan Lee O'Malley has been hyping if for months on twitter and di the new covers and everything, I'm pretty sure HE'S okay with it, and that means I'm okay with it.

I'm not going to buy them, because i already own them, but I'm not upset about it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:48 pm 

It always seemed to me that O'Malley wasn't coloring it because of budget-restraints, so that's more than okay to me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:06 am 

feliciano182 wrote:
It always seemed to me that O'Malley wasn't coloring it because of budget-restraints, so that's more than okay to me.

Exactly, it's not like they are black and white because of some grand stylistic choice.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:34 am 
Tired of Earth.

if you wana be technical, it's already been done in color with the video game and all, so this is just a nice add-on.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:38 am 
Labored long to build a heaven.

What they said.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:56 am 

yeah that makes sense,

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:38 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

It kind of reminds me of when Bone was colorized. It was a bit off putting. I think it loses a bit of its charm when not in black and white, and the same feels true of Scott Pilgrim. And artists sometimes have to compensate for the fact their artwork is not in color, by how they use black and white. Coloring the art can sometimes give these drawings a flatter look than what was intended.

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:02 pm 
Tired of Earth.

t3cii wrote:
It kind of reminds me of when Bone was colorized. It was a bit off putting. I think it loses a bit of its charm when not in black and white, and the same feels true of Scott Pilgrim. And artists sometimes have to compensate for the fact their artwork is not in color, by how they use black and white. Coloring the art can sometimes give these drawings a flatter look than what was intended.

Fun story: Jeff Smith was dead-set against putting Bone in color, until Art Spiegelman himself convinced Smith to put a color edition out. You can imagine how that sounded, coming from the guy who made Maus, and Smith basically said as much.

Spiegelman replied that Maus had to be black-and-white because it was about death. It was about the oppressive and bleak world of Holocaust-era Germany. By comparison, Bone is a comic about life. It's about creativity and optimism and the power of dreams. As such, Bone would never be completed until it was in color.

I feel the same way regarding Scott Pilgrim. That comic is so vibrant and so overflowing with energy that it practically demands to be in color. There's no way black-and-white could ever do justice to the diversity of the cast, their creative outfits and hairstyles (Ramona's changing hair color is a huge part of her character, for God's sake), and the dynamic emotional journeys they all take.

Furthermore, it's worth remembering that O'Malley did originally color the intro of Volume 4. I'm convinced that he would have done the whole series in color if he could.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:24 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Spiegelman replied that Maus had to be black-and-white because it was about death. It was about the oppressive and bleak world of Holocaust-era Germany. By comparison, Bone is a comic about life. It's about creativity and optimism and the power of dreams. As such, Bone would never be completed until it was in color.

Interesting, although for me, and probably a lot of fans of the series, Bone will always be in Black and White.

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
I feel the same way regarding Scott Pilgrim. That comic is so vibrant and so overflowing with energy that it practically demands to be in color. There's no way black-and-white could ever do justice to the diversity of the cast, their creative outfits and hairstyles (Ramona's changing hair color is a huge part of her character, for God's sake), and the dynamic emotional journeys they all take.

Um, so all this time you were reading it you were thinking to yourself "I wish this were in color!"? What if they never came out with a colorized version? Or a movie?

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:55 pm 
Tired of Earth.

t3cii wrote:
Um, so all this time you were reading it you were thinking to yourself "I wish this were in color!"? What if they never came out with a colorized version? Or a movie?

I was perfectly content to color the comic via my own imagination. But now that O'Malley has the chance to color the comic himself, I can't wait to see the results.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:20 am 

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
t3cii wrote:

I was perfectly content to color the comic via my own imagination. But now that O'Malley has the chance to color the comic himself, I can't wait to see the results.

Unless I'm mistaken, O'Malley isn't actually doing the coloring himself, but he seems to speak highly of it regardless.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:05 am 

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
I feel the same way regarding Scott Pilgrim. That comic is so vibrant and so overflowing with energy that it practically demands to be in color.

honestly, I always felt that the comic was so vibrant that it didn't need to be in colour, because the strength of the illustration and story bought itself to life with the power of a coloured comic, without the benefit of colour.
in other words, I think the lack of colour bought out the story and imagery more, because the story and imagery were all there was, I worry a little that the colour is a distraction from those things, when they are released in TPB I might get the first colour volume, to see what it's like, but I don't think I need to read them in colour.
as a way to bring SP further into the mainstream, I think colouring will help a lot, because a lot of people probably won't read a comic in b/w, the same way they are put off by a movie in b/w, and if the (whole) story is bought to more people, I'm all for that.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:14 am 

as a way to bring SP further into the mainstream, I think colouring will help a lot, because a lot of people probably won't read a comic in b/w, the same way they are put off by a movie in b/w, and if the (whole) story is bought to more people, I'm all for that.

And I think those people are stupid and shouldn't be allowed to read Scott Pilgrim.

I'd be surprised, though, considering how relatively mainstream manga's become.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:08 am 

Godziller66 wrote:

And I think those people are stupid and shouldn't be allowed to read Scott Pilgrim.

manga has become far from mainstream, sure it's more popular, and people know what manga is, but not that many people have actually read a manga, a little bit of searching has shown that yearly sales of comics in the US (including Manga and GNs) $635 million in 2010, and manga on it's own was only $120 million of that, so manga makes up only around 20% of all comic book sales in the US, and American comic books are only borderline mainstream.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/news/ ... nt-in-2010

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:44 am 

Godziller66 wrote:

manga has become far from mainstream, sure it's more popular, and people know what manga is, but not that many people have actually read a manga, a little bit of searching has shown that yearly sales of comics in the US (including Manga and GNs) $635 million in 2010, and manga on it's own was only $120 million of that, so manga makes up only around 20% of all comic book sales in the US, and American comic books are only borderline mainstream.

I'm just judging by what I see. I notice far and away more people reading manga than regular comic books.

And they don't even have to pay for it a lot of the time when you take into account manga reader sites.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:07 am 

Godziller66 wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:

I'm just judging by what I see. I notice far and away more people reading manga than regular comic books.

And they don't even have to pay for it a lot of the time when you take into account manga reader sites.

you look at too many hipsters :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:13 am 

Godziller66 wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:

I'll take it you're not serious since you're not Collin.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:29 am 

Godziller66 wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:

I'll take it you're not serious since you're not Collin.

No, there is only One Collin, but all are seen by Collin.