WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:21 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Anyone read this? It was O' Malley's first graphic novel that he wrote and illustrated and I just read it. It's pretty solid, but it does read as a very primitive work. The story is very, very simple, more character and relationship-driven than Scott Pilgrim. And more mysterious as well. It's kind of difficult to describe, there is this big mystery surrounding the main character and it becomes slowly revealed towards the end and resolved perhaps all too quickly as well. As if O' Malley was in a hurry to finish it. But it's a nice, little comic with characters and situations that are easy to relate to.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:15 am 
Labored long to build a heaven.

I've kind of been wanting to read that, but I haven't gotten around to it. Maybe I will soon. In fact, I think I'll do an online check now to see if it's at any of the Barnes and Nobles near me.

Edit: Oh wow, it is.

Well, I know what I'm buying in the next few days.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:27 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

I flipped through once or twice but it just struck me as a typical indie graphic novel. The illustrations are bland, there's little color, and the tone is sombre and quiet. I'm not sure it's a must read. I'd like to know what O'Malley's opinion on it is.

On a side note, does anyone think Bryan Lee O'Malley is a bit of a prick? I remember when Scott Pilgrim was still in preproduction following his twitter feed, and he would often come off as being defensive and testy.

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:45 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

I don't read a lot of comic books or graphic novels, so I don't quite have a grasp on what an indie comic book might usually look like. But the overall style of it just struck me as amateurish. I've tried my hand at drawing and writing comics before and I'm friends with other people who have as well, and it reminded me a lot of how we do them; basically filling an entire page with one illustration and having a lot of text on it or the drawings being yeah, pretty bland. It's not exactly ineffective. I enjoyed reading it and was even a little moved by it, just because the situations and characters are so easy to relate to, but it really is a precursor to Scott Pilgrim. A lot of themes and motifs from Lost at Sea show up in Scott Pilgrim as well, but a lot more developed.

As for Bryan Lee O' Malley being a prick, I don't know. Take note that I only started to really follow him after Scott Pilgrim had been released. I follow him on Twitter and Flickr and he doesn't really strike me like a jerk, and the one time I saw him get defensive it was rightfully so.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:42 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

TheMovieDude wrote:
I don't read a lot of comic books or graphic novels, so I don't quite have a grasp on what an indie comic book might usually look like. But the overall style of it just struck me as amateurish.

This is pretty much what a lot of indie comics look like, or at least the ones I've seen in bookstores. Crudely drawn, almost as if the author was really a writer who decided to go the graphic novel route but lacked the talent to draw well. Or, maybe they just don't have the resources to put out quality artwork. But O'Malley probably was just an amateur when he made it.

TheMovieDude wrote:
As for Bryan Lee O' Malley being a prick, I don't know. Take note that I only started to really follow him after Scott Pilgrim had been released. I follow him on Twitter and Flickr and he doesn't really strike me like a jerk, and the one time I saw him get defensive it was rightfully so.

Maybe calling him a prick isn't the right word to use, but he strikes me as the kind of guy who has a bad temper. There have been instances on his twitter feed where there would be some innocent misunderstanding between himself and a fan of his, and he would get really annoyed.

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:34 pm 
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.

I read this a couple of years ago and I remember really enjoying it.