WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Sandman
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:42 am 
Minuteman

To read them in order is better, but if you can't get them in order it is also ok. Read the volumes you can get, and when you've got all read them again. ;)

First time I didn't read them in order too. I started with volume 5, it was a birthday present.

The german publsher made a mistake with the volumes and didn't print them in order! :roll:

Last edited by Pepper Cube on Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:24 pm 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

You don't have to read them in order, but if there's a reasonable chance you're going to read the lot you probably should. You'll enjoy it more, seeing the big tapestry of a story develop across the books.
If needs be you could read 2 now (online or from a library or something) and buy it when you can ;)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:47 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

I'm arguing with Neil Gaiman on Twitter about the unreasonable pricing and distribution of Sandman put in place by Vertigo. I don't think that he likes my ideas.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:40 pm 
Drinking a toast to absent friends.

Still haven't properly started Sandman, got it and i'm meaning to, but atm i am reading American Gods, one of Gaiman's novels, it is very good!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:40 pm 
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.

joshsirjoshules wrote:
I'm arguing with Neil Gaiman on Twitter about the unreasonable pricing and distribution of Sandman put in place by Vertigo. I don't think that he likes my ideas.

:o
Yeah I know somebody who met him one time.
Apparently he is a bit of an asshole.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:44 pm 
Crimebuster

I'm reading through Volume 1 right now, but this series is gonna be expensive. They could have compounded the first three volumes, next three, last four or however and made it a lot cheaper. :S

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:38 pm 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

As I mentioned before in the thread, I own several of the GNs. I have just finished #10 – The Wake. Thanks to Stockholm's comic library I have managed to find the rest of the series and I have this to say:

Magnificent series of books. The last couple of volumes are extremely sad and heartwrenching. The stories in all of the volumes I have read (I have two to track down) give an impression of bewildering scope. Poetic, horrifying, funny, emotional, exciting, clever, thought-provoking and very, very human. Gaiman really cooked up something with Sandman. Each volume really grabs you after a couple of pages and they are hard to put down. After reading one I always felt like being through a wringer – like now.

It's not often one gets served a history of mankind's humanity in such a subtle and enjoyable manner. A must-read!

/Soup

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:11 pm 
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.

Soupdragon wrote:
As I mentioned before in the thread, I own several of the GNs. I have just finished #10 – The Wake. Thanks to Stockholm's comic library I have managed to find the rest of the series and I have this to say:

Magnificent series of books. The last couple of volumes are extremely sad and heartwrenching. The stories in all of the volumes I have read (I have two to track down) give an impression of bewildering scope. Poetic, horrifying, funny, emotional, exciting, clever, thought-provoking and very, very human. Gaiman really cooked up something with Sandman. Each volume really grabs you after a couple of pages and they are hard to put down. After reading one I always felt like being through a wringer – like now.

It's not often one gets served a history of mankind's humanity in such a subtle and enjoyable manner. A must-read!

/Soup

Time to read it again!