It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:37 pm 
New Frontiersman

KIMOTA!

Post subject: None de plume
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:19 am 
The Watcher

So is this really a good thing? I know The Beard and the big two never played nice together, but if his name starts to be pulled off of the great work he's done in the past, isn't that a disservice to Moore? I doubt having Moore's name on these means more sales for Marvel. Or does it?

I feel Its like cutting off his beard to spite his face.

Post subject: Credit Crunch
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:49 pm 
New Frontiersman

On the proviso that his name be removed from the reprint material, Moore has agreed to allow his MM work to be released out of regard for the character's creator, the late Mick Anglo, and his family. There’s a very good chance that he could have prevented Marvel from reprinting his efforts altogether, or significantly delayed publication at the very least, but he chose not to so as to personally honour Mick and thus in some small way make up for Marvel’s abominable record with creators. My own personal reading of the situation is that Moore also wanted to allow the work to finally come back out in a way that escapes the ‘poison chalice’ legacy it has accrued in copyright hell over the years in order not to allow that aspect to taint Anglo’s legacy.

The fact that Alan Moore gets criticised for asking to have his name taken off a piece of work and donating all the money (for certainly the first printing) to the estate of the character’s original creator just goes to show how morally bankrupt a great deal of comics' fans actually are. If some choose not to believe in integrity or ethics in the business anymore then fine, but I do wish folks would stop decrying anyone who tries (once again!) to exercise them anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:13 pm 
The Watcher

I'm not criticizing him at all. Just trying to understand why he wants his name removed from a work he actually wrote. How does he, or Mick Angelo, benefit from that act?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:23 am 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

DoomsdayClock wrote:
I'm not criticizing him at all. Just trying to understand why he wants his name removed from a work he actually wrote. How does he, or Mick Angelo, benefit from that act?

I don't think Moore cares about "benefit" as much as his does his crazy, over-the-top notion of artistic integrity.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:27 pm 
New Frontiersman

After being initially informed by Neil’s lawyer, I had to think about it for a couple of days. I decided that while I’m very happy for this book to get published—because that means money will finally go to Marvelman’s creator, Mick Anglo, and to his wife. Mick is very, very old, and his wife, I believe, is suffering from Alzheimer’s. The actual Marvelman story is such a grim and ugly one that I would probably rather that the work was published without my name on it, and that all of the money went to Mick. The decision about my name was largely based upon my history with Marvel—my desire to really have nothing to do with them, and my increasing desire to have nothing to do with the American comics industry. I mean, they’re probably are enough books out there with my name on them to keep the comics industry afloat for a little bit longer. I left a message to that effect with Neil. I’ve since heard back from the lawyer upon another issue, and he said that he was certain that would be the case—that Marvel would accede to my request. That looks like the way it will be emerging. And, Neil will be able to finish his Marvelman story because he has a completely different relationship with Marvel than I have with them—or rather, don’t have. The main thing is that I will feel happy to know that Mick Anglo is finally getting the recompense he so richly deserves. And, I will have distanced myself from a lot of the deceit and ugliness that surrounded the relaunching of Marvelman as a character.

So, who's buying?