WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Dave Gibbons
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:11 pm 
The Watcher

Who here has read anything else by Dave Gibbons - as either artist, writer or both? If yes, what have you read and do you recommend it?

Post subject: Re: Dave Gibbons
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:35 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

I've read The Originals:

It's a pretty short book, and I don't know if I'd recommend it or not.

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:49 pm 
The Watcher

t3cii wrote:
It's a pretty short book, and I don't know if I'd recommend it or not.

How do you not know if you would recommend it or not? Why so hard?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:01 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

I read it a long time ago. I don't really remember how I felt about it. I think I thought it was okay? I don't know. It obviously didn't leave much of an impression on me.

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:26 am 
The Watcher

I'm also curious about the Martha Washington stuff. Anyone here read any of those?

Post subject: Funky Gibbons
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:52 pm 
New Frontiersman

Have thumbed through a few Martha Washingtons over the years; often considered getting hold of the 600+ page collected compendium but am after a cheapie copy as otherwise it's fairly cost prohibitive brand new. Mebbe one day...

I grew up on a staple diet of Dave's earliest Brit work when first taking an interest in genre comics. All the classic 2000AD stuff: Harlem Heroes, Dan Dare, Ro-Busters, ABC Warriors, Rogue Trooper and its later follow-up/retcon Friday (only written by Gibbons with various others handling art duties), the classic Future Shocks and Time Twisters one-offs he collaborated on with a certain fledging writer from Northampton, all of which come highly recommended and can be picked up in various reprint editions ('cept the Dan Dare work which still remains locked in copyright limbo nearly forty years later and is impossible to source unless you're prepared to pay out for the original early 2000AD progs). Oh, and Dave's work in the Marvel UK Doctor Who Weekly title of the late '70s (especially the Iron Legion saga, an alternate Earth where the ancient Roman Empire survived into the modern age due to nefarious alien intervention) is all fairly essential for the connoisseur.

Following the 'Brit Invasion' of the US comics scene in the '80s, Dave's DC work on Green Lantern/Batman/Superman (naturally, the classic For The Man Who Has Everything Supes tale again penned my Moore) is all required reading and readily available in various collections.

Have also digested The Originals, both written and drawn by the man himself; I personally enjoyed it but I guess a working knowledge of the '60s UK mod/scooterist scene helps in appreciating it to its fullest since it's essentially Dave's love letter to that cultural period of his own youth.

Most recently, i.e. over the past year, I collected the entire run of The Secret Service collaboration with Mark Millar (movie now in the works, folks!), a fairly lightweight but nonetheless subversively fun fluff piece involving megalomaniacal nerds, beleagured celebrities and plenty of outrageous OTT Bondian action; worth a go (again, an insight into the UK's yoof culture 'chav' phenomenon will help) but certainly no life-affirming game changer.

And as for Mr. G's greatest hour? Well, there's unquestionably nothing that comes close to his own '80s turn as the superhero editor-in-chief of the short-lived Tornado comic, Big E:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:05 pm 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

I have "Give me Liberty" in the form it was first in: a short series of four thinner books that came out about every three months 1990/91. Don't have any more of the series.

I thought the Miller/Gibbons combo was cool, and I am glad I have them – but I don't have the urge to sniff out the rest of the series. (I was actually surprised there were so many).

/Soup

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:35 pm 
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.

DoomsdayClock wrote:
I'm also curious about the Martha Washington stuff. Anyone here read any of those?

Really cool stuff.