WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:42 am 
Minuteman

I'm building myself a playlist of music from the Watchmen Film and the graphic novel... I used to read the graphic novel to a playlist of the songs mentioned in the book, but I'm wanting to try reading it with all the movie music as well. However I want to put all the songs in the order they are heard in the film, I've got all the licensed music in order, but there are a few songs in the score that I don't know exactly where they go... If anyone could help me put the score in order I would be most grateful!

Here's what I've got so far, just to help narrow it all down.

Songs in order (I THINK):
Tonight the Comedian Died
You Quit!
Only Two Names Remain
We'll Live Longer
The Last Laugh
The American Dream
What About Janey Slater
I'll Tell You About Rorschach
Dan's Apocalyptic Dream
Silk Specter
Rescue Mission
Prison Fight
Who Murdered Hollis Mason (Pretty sure this track isn't in the theatrical cut, but I have I'm assuming it would play during the bar interrogation scene.)
Requiem
I love You Mom

Songs I'm really unsure about:
Don't Get Too Misty Eyed
Edward Blake: The Comedian
Just Look Around You
Countdown
All That Is Good
It Was Me (I'm assuming this would be when Laurie and Jon teleport from Mars to New York and see the destruction, but I'm not positive.)

Please help! As soon as I get this sorted out, I'll post my playlist of all the songs in order for anyone who would like to build it themselves!

Last edited by Rated-G on Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:05 am 
Alien Squid Monster

Rated-G wrote:
Songs I'm really unsure about:
Don't Get Too Misty Eyed
Edward Blake: The Comedian
Just Look Around You
Countdown
All That Is Good
It Was Me (I'm assuming this would be when Laurie and Jon teleport from Mars to New York and see the destruction, but I'm not positive.)

Don't Get Too Misty Eyed - I am unsure
Edward Blake: The Comedian - When Rorschach is approached by the prostitute walking down a New York street.
Just Look Around You - Mars
Countdown - Starts with the fight between Rorscach, Nite Owl and Adrian at Karnak and ends with the Jonergy explosion going off in New York
All That Is Good - Starts with Nixon on the TV screens telling the world the Cold War is over, continues onto Rorschach's death and ends with Manhattan saying goodbye to Laurie and leaving this Galaxy.
It Was Me - Manhattan and Laurie in destroyed New York.

- OZYMANDIAS - interview in NOVA/EXPRESS
Aug. 1977

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:15 am 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

"Don't Get Too Misty Eyed" plays when Hollis and Dan are recollecting the old days at the beginning.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:59 pm 
Minuteman

Alright! Thanks guys, now the placement makes perfect sense. Anyway, here's the playlist I have so far, for anyone who would like to know:

Track Number on list: Title of song - Artist - Album song is used from on playlist [Relation of song to/placement in film and/or book]

1: The Beginning is the End is the Beginning - Smashing Pumpkins - The Remixes [Theatrical Trailer 1]

2: Take a Bow - Muse - Black Holes and Revelations [Theatrical Trailer 2]

3: Angel - Massive Attack - Mezzanine [TV spots]

4: Man on the Moon (MTV Theme) - Johnathan Elias & John Petersen - Unknown, I can't find this song if anyone could help me with that it would also be appreciated! [Very beginning of the film, when Blake is flipping through channels just before getting to the Nostalgia commercial.]

5: Unforgettable - Nat King Cole - Watchmen (Music from the Motion Picture) [Nostalgia Commercial/Opening fight/ Comedian Death]

6: The Times They Are A-Changin' - Bob Dylan - Watchmen (Music from the Motion Picture) [Opening Credits]

7: Tonight The Comedian Died - Tyler Bates - Watchmen (Original Motion Picture Score) [Rorschach investigating Blake's apartment]

8: Don't Get Too Misty Eyed - Tyler Bates - Watchmen (Original Motion Picture Score) [Hollis Mason, and Dan Dreiberg's weekly beer session]

9: Neighborhood Threat - Iggy Pop - Lust For Life [quoted in graphic novel Chapter I: At Midnight All The Agents..., Page 10, panel 1, as Dreiberg walks home from his weekly beer session with Hollis. The song is blaring out of a passing Knot Top's boom box]

10: You Quit! - Tyler Bates - Watchmen (Original Motion Picture Score) [Rorschach warns Daniel about the mask killer]

11: Only Two Names Remain - Tyler Bates - Watchmen (Original Motion Picture Score) [Rorschach sneaks in to see Jon and Laurie]

12: 99 Luftballons - Nena - 99 Luftballons [Laurie entering restaurant to meet Dan]

13: We'll Live Longer - Tyler Bates - Watchmen (Original Motion Picture Score) [Laurie and Dan at dinner]

14: Desolation Row - Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited [quoted in graphic novel Chapter I: At Midnight, All the Agents...]

15: The Sound of Silence - Simon & Garfunkel - Watchmen (Music from the Motion Picture) [Edward Blake's funeral]

16: The Last Laugh - Tyler Bates - Watchmen (Original Motion Picture Score) [Sally Jupiter flashback of Minutemen photoshoot and ensuing "moral lapse"]

17: Ride of the Valkyries - Budapest Symphony Orchestra - Watchmen (Music from the Motion Picture) [Dr. Manhattan's flashback of fighting alongside The Comedian at Vietnam]

18: Me and Bobby McGee - Janis Joplin - Watchmen (Music from the Motion Picture) [In the bar at Vietnam]

19: I'm Your Boogie Man - K.C. & The Sunshine Band - Watchmen (Music from the Motion Picture) [Dans flashback of street protests and riots]

20: The American Dream - Tyler Bates - Watchmen (Original Motion Picture Score) [Comedian protecting society from itself at the riots]

21: Edward Blake: The Comedian - Tyler Bates - Watchmen (Original Motion Picture Score) [Rorschach walking down streets after visiting Jacobi]

22: The Comedians - Elvis Costello & The Attractions - Goodbye Cruel World [quoted in graphic novel Chapter II: Absent Friends]

23: You're My Thrill - Billie Holiday - Watchmen (Music from the Motion Picture) [Film: Jon's attempted threesome with Laurie. Graphic Novel: How Dreiberg got his groove back.]

24: Protest - Philip Glass - The Essential Philip Glass [Laurie leaves Jon]

25: Something She Has To Do - Philip Glass - The Hours (Music from the Motion Picture) [Jon prepares for Face to Face interview]

26: What About Janey Slater (Misspelled "Janie" Slater on the album) - Tyler Bates - Watchmen (Original Motion Picture Score) [Jon's interview and confrontation with Janey/Dan and Laurie kickin' Knot Top ass]

27: Pruit Igoe & Prophecies - Philip Glass - Watchmen (Music from the Motion Picture) [Jon on Mars/flashbacks]

28: Everybody Wants to Rule the World (Instrumental Muzak version) - Studio Group (Originally performed by Tears for Fears) - Unknown, I don't have the particular version of the song, I'm using the version from Songs From The Big Chair as a placeholder right now, if anyone has this version or knows where to get it please let me know! [Adrian's interview/attempted assassination]

29: I'll Tell You About Rorschach - Tyler Bates - Watchmen (Original Motion Picture Score) [Kovacs telling Dr. Malcolm Long about Rorschach after being arrested (flashback of investigation of Blaire Roche kidnapping)]

30: Dan's Apocalyptic Dream - Tyler Bates - Watchmen (Original Motion Picture Score) [Dan's apocalyptic dream]

31: Silk Spectre - Tyler Bates - Watchmen (Original Motion Picture Score) [Nite Owl and Silk Spectre suit up to take Archie out for a spin]

32: Rescue Mission - Tyler Bates - Watchmen (Original Motion Picture Score) [Nite Owl and Silk Spectre save the tenement fire victims]

33: Hallelujah - Leonard Cohen - Watchmen (Music from the Motion Picture) [Dan and Laurie get fired up after saving the fire victims. (If going by the graphic novel, 21: You're My Thrill should be here)]

34: Prison Fight - Tyler Bates - Watchmen (Original Motion Picture Score) [Nite Owl and Silk Spectre bust Rorschach out of jail]

35: All Along the Watchtower - Bob Dylan - John Wesley Harding [quoted in graphic novel Chapter X: Two Riders Were Approaching...]

36: Clyde - Waylon Jennings - Music Man [Rorschach and Nite Owl visit Happy Harry's to inquire about Pyramid Transnational]

37: Who Murdered Hollis Mason - Tyler Bates - Watchmen (Original Motion Picture Score) [Not in the theatrical cut of the film, but I'm guessing this would be in the directors cut when Rorschach and Nite Owl go to Happy Harry's and find out about Hollis' murder.]

38: Just Look Around You - Tyler Bates - Watchmen (Original Motion Picture Score) [Jon and Laurie discuss the fate of Earth, on Mars]

39: All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix - Watchmen (Music from the Motion Picture) [Nite Owl and Rorschach approach Karnak]

40: Countdown - Tyler Bates - Watchmen (Original Motion Picture Score) [Rorschach and Nite Owl fight Adrian, 35 minutes ago, his masterstroke is triggered]

41: It Was Me - Tyler Bates - Watchmen (Original Motion Picture Score) [Jon and Laurie get back to New York too late, pay Adrian a visit]

42: All That is Good - Tyler Bates - Watchmen (Original Motion Picture Score) [Nixon addresses the world, Jon confronts Kovacs]

43: Requiem - Tyler Bates (Excerpted from Mozart's Requiem - Watchmen (Original Motion Picture Score) [Dan and Laurie leave Adrian to contemplate his actions]

44: Control Voice - Vic Perrin - The Outer Limits: Original Television Soundtrack [On television before Laurie reconciles with Sally]

45: The Outer Limits: Main Title - Dominic Frontiere - The Outer Limits: Original Television Soundtrack [On television before Laurie reconciles with Sally]

46: Panic - Dominic Frontiere - The Outer Limits: Original Television Soundtrack [On television before Laurie reconciles with Sally]

47: I Love You, Mom - Tyler Bates - Watchmen (Original Motion Picture Score) [Laurie reconciles with Sally, New York continues to survive]

48: Desolation Row - My Chemical Romance - Watchmen (Music from the Motion Picture) [End credits, first half]

49: First We Take Manhattan - Leonard Cohen - The Essential Leonard Cohen [End credits, second half]

50: Sanities - John Cale - Music for a New Society [quoted in graphic novel Chapter XII: A Stronger Loving World]

*Extra* 51: Pirate Jenny (Live) - Nina Simone - Watchmen (Music from the Motion Picture) [Not in film, supposedly to be used in Tales of the Black Freighter animated film]

Last edited by Rated-G on Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:02 pm 
Minuteman

Rated-G wrote:
Alright! Thanks guys, now the placement makes perfect sense. Anyway, here's the playlist I have so far, for anyone who would like to know:

Track Number on list: Title of song - Artist - Album song is used from on playlist [Relation of song to/placement in film and/or book]

1: The Beginning is the End is the Beginning - Smashing Pumpkins - The Remixes [Theatrical Trailer 1]

2: Take a Bow - Muse - Black Holes and Revelations [Theatrical Trailer 2]

3: Man on the Moon (MTV Theme) - Johnathan Elias & John Petersen - Unknown, I can't find this song if anyone could help me with that it would also be appreciated! [Very beginning of the film, when Blake is flipping through channels just before getting to the Nostalgia commercial.]

4: Unforgettable - Nat King Cole - Watchmen (Music from the Motion Picture) [Nostalgia Commercial/Opening fight/ Comedian Death]

5: The Times They Are A-Changin' - Bob Dylan - Watchmen (Music from the Motion Picture) [Opening Credits]

6: Tonight The Comedian Died - Tyler Bates - Watchmen (Original Motion Picture Score) [Rorschach investigating Blake's apartment]

7: Don't Get Too Misty Eyed - Tyler Bates - Watchmen (Original Motion Picture Score) [Hollis Mason, and Dan Dreiburg's weekly beer session]

8: You Quit! - Tyler Bates - Watchmen (Original Motion Picture Score) [Rorschach warns Daniel about the mask killer]

9: Only Two Names Remain - Tyler Bates - Watchmen (Original Motion Picture Score) [Rorschach sneaks in to see Jon and Laurie]

10: 99 Luftballons - Nena - 99 Luftballons [Laurie entering restaurant to meet Dan]

11: We'll Live Longer - Tyler Bates - Watchmen (Original Motion Picture Score) [Laurie and Dan at dinner]

12: Desolation Row - Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited [quoted in graphic novel Chapter I: At Midnight, All the Agents...]

13: The Sound of Silence - Simon & Garfunkel - Watchmen (Music from the Motion Picture) [Edward Blake's funeral]

14: The Last Laugh - Tyler Bates - Watchmen (Original Motion Picture Score) [Sally Jupiter flashback of Minutemen photoshoot and ensuing "moral lapse"]

15: Ride of the Valkyries - Budapest Symphony Orchestra - Watchmen (Music from the Motion Picture) [Dr. Manhattan's flashback of fighting alongside The Comedian at Vietnam]

16: Me and Bobby McGee - Janis Joplin - Watchmen (Music from the Motion Picture) [In the bar at Vietnam]

17: I'm Your Boogie Man - K.C. & The Sunshine Band - Watchmen (Music from the Motion Picture) [Dans flashback of street protests and riots]

18: The American Dream - Tyler Bates - Watchmen (Original Motion Picture Score) [Comedian protecting society from itself at the riots]

19: Edward Blake: The Comedian - Tyler Bates - Watchmen (Original Motion Picture Score) [Rorschach walking down streets after visiting Jacobi]

20: The Comedians - Elvis Costello & The Attractions - Goodbye Cruel World [quoted in graphic novel Chapter II: Absent Friends]

21: You're My Thrill - Billie Holiday - Watchmen (Music from the Motion Picture) [Film: Jon's attempted threesome with Laurie. Graphic Novel: How Dreiberg got his groove back.]

22: Protest - Philip Glass - The Essential Philip Glass [Laurie leaves Jon]

23: Something She Has To Do - Philip Glass - The Hours (Music from the Motion Picture) [Jon prepares for Face to Face interview]

24: What About Janey Slater (Misspelled "Janie" Slater on the album) - Tyler Bates - Watchmen (Original Motion Picture Score) [Jon's interview and confrontation with Janey/Dan and Laurie kickin' Knot Top ass]

25: Pruit Igoe & Prophecies - Philip Glass - Watchmen (Music from the Motion Picture) [Jon on Mars/flashbacks]

26: Everybody Wants to Rule the World (Instrumental Muzak version) - Studio Group (Originally performed by Tears for Fears) - Unknown, I don't have the particular version of the song, I'm using the version from Songs From The Big Chair as a placeholder right now, if anyone has this version or knows where to get it please let me know! [Adrian's interview/attempted assassination]

27: I'll Tell You About Rorschach - Tyler Bates - Watchmen (Original Motion Picture Score) [Kovacs telling Dr. Malcolm Long about Rorschach after being arrested (flashback of investigation of Blaire Roche kidnapping)]

28: Dan's Apocalyptic Dream - Tyler Bates - Watchmen (Original Motion Picture Score) [Dan's apocalyptic dream]

29: Silk Spectre - Tyler Bates - Watchmen (Original Motion Picture Score) [Nite Owl and Silk Spectre suit up to take Archie out for a spin]

30: Rescue Mission - Tyler Bates - Watchmen (Original Motion Picture Score) [Nite Owl and Silk Spectre save the tenement fire victims]

31: Hallelujah - Leonard Cohen - Watchmen (Music from the Motion Picture) [Dan and Laurie get fired up after saving the fire victims. (If going by the graphic novel, 21: You're My Thrill should be here)]

32: Prison Fight - Tyler Bates - Watchmen (Original Motion Picture Score) [Nite Owl and Silk Spectre bust Rorschach out of jail]

33: All Along the Watchtower - Bob Dylan - John Wesley Harding [quoted in graphic novel Chapter X: Two Riders Were Approaching...]

34: Clyde - Waylon Jennings - Music Man [Rorschach and Nite Owl visit Happy Harry's to inquire about Pyramid Transnational]

35: Who Murdered Hollis Mason - Tyler Bates - Watchmen (Original Motion Picture Score) [Not in the theatrical cut of the film, but I'm guessing this would be in the directors cut when Rorschach and Nite Owl go to Happy Harry's and find out about Hollis' murder.]

36: Just Look Around You - Tyler Bates - Watchmen (Original Motion Picture Score) [Jon and Laurie discuss the fate of Earth, on Mars]

37: All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix - Watchmen (Music from the Motion Picture) [Nite Owl and Rorschach approach Karnak]

38: Countdown - Tyler Bates - Watchmen (Original Motion Picture Score) [Rorschach and Nite Owl fight Adrian, 35 minutes ago, his masterstroke is triggered]

39: It Was Me - Tyler Bates - Watchmen (Original Motion Picture Score) [Jon and Laurie get back to New York too late, pay Adrian a visit]

40: All That is Good - Tyler Bates - Watchmen (Original Motion Picture Score) [Nixon addresses the world, Jon confronts Kovacs]

41: Requiem - Tyler Bates (Excerpted from Mozart's Requiem - Watchmen (Original Motion Picture Score) [Dan and Laurie leave Adrian to contemplate his actions]

42: Control Voice - Vic Perrin - The Outer Limits: Original Television Soundtrack [On television before Laurie reconciles with Sally]

43: The Outer Limits: Main Title - Dominic Frontiere - The Outer Limits: Original Television Soundtrack [On television before Laurie reconciles with Sally]

44: Panic - Dominic Frontiere - The Outer Limits: Original Television Soundtrack [On television before Laurie reconciles with Sally]

45: I Love You, Mom - Tyler Bates - Watchmen (Original Motion Picture Score) [Laurie reconciles with Sally, New York continues to survive]

46: Desolation Row - My Chemical Romance - Watchmen (Music from the Motion Picture) [End credits, first half]

47: First We Take Manhattan - Leonard Cohen - The Essential Leonard Cohen [End credits, second half]

48: Sanities - John Cale - Music for a New Society [quoted in graphic novel Chapter XII: A Stronger Loving World]

*Extra* 49: Pirate Jenny (Live) - Nina Simone - Watchmen (Music from the Motion Picture) [Not in film, supposedly to be used in Tales of the Black Freighter animated film]

Awesome. I myself have been trying to compile song orders all afternoon of just the film soundtrack and GN song references. This helps big time.

It was also mentioned on the IMDb FAQs that Angels by Massive Attack was used in a couple of trailers ---> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0409459/faq#.2.1.6. Know anything about it?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:18 pm 
Minuteman

Yeah, that is true, it was used in the TV spots that came out closer to release... I completely forgot about that! I'll have to add that in there when I get home from work.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:33 am 
Vigilante

You're missing "Neighborhood Threat" by Iggy Pop of his Lust For Life album. It's in the graphic novel (Ch 1 Pg. 10 Pn. 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:56 am 
Minuteman

Awesome! Thank you! I think I must have missed it because it's not credited at the beginning of the novel. I figured the credits listed every song mentioned/quoted in the book, but I completely forgot about that one. Thanks!

UPDATED THE PLAYLIST!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:36 am 
So impotent.

This is just the type of thread I was looking for when I signed up here. I was trying to find out if the music that plays while Rorschach is fighting the cops in the film is on the soundtrack or score, as I have listened to most of it and did not hear it. I guess it's not:-/? It's only about a minute's worth of music, but I loved it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:16 am 
So impotent.

Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks Rated-G! :)

Also, not great quality, but... http://rapidshare.com/files/263675571/M ... g.mp3.html

HTH!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:40 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

I'd personally have chosen the Lotte Lenya version of Pirate Jenny, to be honest.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:55 am 
So impotent.

It's cute and nobody would get it. :) Interesting selection of recordings on YouTube "Seeräuber Jenny"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:42 am 
Minuteman

Wow, great list. I'm glad I finally saw it now, because I was considering downloading some of the songs missing from the score and soundtrack and arranging them in order.

Anyways one more track of potential note:
Dionysus - Jocelyn Pook - Gangs of New York (Music from the Miramax Motion Picture) [TV spot 5]
YouTube - Watchmen - TV Spot #5

Angel was in spot 6 and in slightly more abbreviated form in 8 and 12.

I believe that's it other than trailer cues, which aren't available to the general public, only commercially licensed ($$$) and haven't all been identified as far as I know anyways (maybe half).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:07 pm 
...I am Pagliacci.

king_ruckus wrote:
This is just the type of thread I was looking for when I signed up here. I was trying to find out if the music that plays while Rorschach is fighting the cops in the film is on the soundtrack or score, as I have listened to most of it and did not hear it. I guess it's not:-/? It's only about a minute's worth of music, but I loved it.

Me too! To me it was some of the most notable underscore in the film - the creepiness of the Rorschach material meets Bates' action style, to great effect.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:22 pm 
Vigilante

Don't Get Too Misty Eyed is during Hollis and Sally's phone call right before the topknots show up.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:12 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Does anyone know the song that plays when Laurie's looking through Archie? Or the song that's playing when Doc drops the picture on Mars? I've been trying to figure it out but I just can't. Weird.

EDIT: Also, I'd like to point out that the two Philip Glass songs, "Protest" and "Something She Has To Do" are not the songs played during those parts. I just listened to them and they share almost nothing with the songs that are played.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:24 am 
Alien Squid Monster

I suppose one might throw in a song from DEVO at the point where Laurie makes that crack to Dan in the GN about his Nite-Owl goggles being so "Devo".

"Be Stiff" would be a good laff...

Good list, by the way. I'm going to use this as a reference to compiling my own expanded CD set. Oh, and I'm going to include a dub of the "Nostalgia" commercial music from the "Under the Hood" faux commercial soundtrack.