WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1062 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 54  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:02 pm 
Vigilante

I am looking to create my own Rorschach mask for a Halloween costume. It obviously won't move, but I am kind of struggling on where to start. Like, do I look for fabric and a mask/hood pattern to sew my own? Or do I find some white leggings to put on my head (haha)? Internet searches have turned up nothing, so I turn to you.

I want this thing to look good. But I also want to be able to see out of it.

Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:05 pm 
Vigilante

Also, any suggestions for the gloves? Should they be purple, dark blue, or just black? Either way, I think they're leather. Where would I find gloves like this?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:10 pm 
A brother to dragons.

The Lamonster wrote:
I am looking to create my own Rorschach mask for a Halloween costume. It obviously won't move, but I am kind of struggling on where to start. Like, do I look for fabric and a mask/hood pattern to sew my own? Or do I find some white leggings to put on my head (haha)? Internet searches have turned up nothing, so I turn to you.

Any suggestions?

Best way to do that will be to have black one-way mesh sewed into holes in black ink blots on the mask. One sec, I'll upload a photo of the Rorschach mask prop replica real quick...

Here we go. Check that out, it gives a bit of an idea of how it's sewn.

The gloves are a purple, you can find a ton of purple gloves here, not sure if any leather ones will turn up.

Hope that helps. Keep us up to date!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:16 pm 
Crimebuster

I've been working through the same project and have also wondered about the mask.

My current idea will have the black portion possibly made from that mesh matrial used in "mascott head" eyes. It looks dark from a distance but can be seen through up close AND will make breathing easier.

While the comics certainly make a case for purple clothing, it just doesn't quite sit right with me in regards to Ror's conservative leanings, that... and the sheer glut of Jokers that we are likely to see this Halloween... have steered me toward darker tones (navy blue or black) and will add to the personification of the "black and white" outlook.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:17 pm 
Existence is random.

My Rorschach costume is in progress. I have the jacket but nothing else yet.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:18 pm 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

Ninjet wrote:

Cold?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:10 pm 
Vigilante

The Veidt Method wrote:
The Lamonster wrote:

Any suggestions?

Best way to do that will be to have black one-way mesh sewed into holes in black ink blots on the mask. One sec, I'll upload a photo of the Rorschach mask prop replica real quick...

Here we go. Check that out, it gives a bit of an idea of how it's sewn.

The gloves are a purple, you can find a ton of purple gloves here, not sure if any leather ones will turn up.

Hope that helps. Keep us up to date!

Thank you sir, those Joker gloves look perfect. I will definitely keep you guys up-to-date on my progress. Hopefully at some point I will have an awesome costume to show off.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:07 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

The Lamonster wrote:
Thank you sir, those Joker gloves look perfect. I will definitely keep you guys up-to-date on my progress. Hopefully at some point I will have an awesome costume to show off.

Personally, I'd go with black leather gloves, which you can find anywhere. Purple really wouldn't translate that well. Notice they're not using purple in the movie?

For the mask, maybe try seeing if you can find a white ski mask or balaclava, with single eye hole (ninja style), or black, and dye it/bleach it white. Then make the proper alterations. Would save you from having to sew a mask. For the ink blots, don't sew patches on, those always look too perfect. I'd get black paint, and slab a blob in the center. Then, put your hands inside (while paint is still wet) and press together to fold mask in center. Pull apart, and there's the ink blot. This way it looks more random, less put together.

I think the rest of the suit might be harder, as most people don't have trenchcoats and hats lying around.

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:14 pm 
Crimebuster

t3cii wrote:
most people don't have trenchcoats and hats lying around.
In my case I already had everything but the mask in my closet. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:08 pm 
Existence is random.

AYBGerrardo wrote:
Ninjet wrote:

Cold?

Hahahaha, no. :D
I mean that I have only Rorschach's coat but not the mask, pants, scarf hat etc. (me and my bad english).

I was planning to dress up as Rorschach in Finnish comic convention which are held in September.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:34 pm 
Vigilante

t3cii wrote:
The Lamonster wrote:

For the mask, maybe try seeing if you can find a white ski mask or balaclava, with single eye hole (ninja style), or black, and dye it/bleach it white. Then make the proper alterations. Would save you from having to sew a mask. For the ink blots, don't sew patches on, those always look too perfect. I'd get black paint, and slab a blob in the center. Then, put your hands inside (while paint is still wet) and press together to fold mask in center. Pull apart, and there's the ink blot. This way it looks more random, less put together.

I think the rest of the suit might be harder, as most people don't have trenchcoats and hats lying around.

After some serious thought, I've decided the best way to go about this is use the white ski mask idea. I'm going to get a couple so I can experiment a bit. I'll try black paint but I'm also going to try sewing black felt patches as well.

For the hat, is there a name for that type of hat? I guess it's a Fedora but those have a longer rim and a shorter top than Rorschach's hat. Any hat suggestions would be great ;)

p.s. I already have a perfect trenchcoat, it's what sparked the idea in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:10 pm 
Crimebuster

The Lamonster wrote:
For the hat, is there a name for that type of hat? I guess it's a Fedora but those have a longer rim and a shorter top than Rorschach's hat. Any hat suggestions would be great ;)
You are correct that it is a fedora, of course, but as you also point out it is of a different style than you normally find.
I do not know if that style has it's own name*, but searching under fedora should yield an appropriate match (eventually).

My fedora is of the slightly larger common style, but is otherwise similar in appearance so I'll be sticking with it. Image

*Edit: try "Trilby"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:08 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Hermann wrote:
*Edit: try "Trilby"

Yeah, that's the one. I'm not sure where you'll find it, (or the mask) though. I mean you could probably easily find one, but I'm thinking where you could find one that isn't too expensive.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:29 pm 
Crimebuster

Ebay has several for under 20 bucks (that's including shipping). I didn't see the exact shade that matches my coat (classic khaki), but you might find a color you like.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37.l1311&satitle=trilby+hat&category0=

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:56 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

hahaha awesome!!! I am SO gonna buy one. Maybe we can have a contest and the winner gets an ebay Trilby!

What do you guys think? I'm willing to ship it for free*!

*until i get laid off lol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:53 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

I don't think I could ever pull wearing a hat like that off. You need to have a certain type of personality, I think.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:58 pm 
Crimebuster

Well, I hope I have such a personality because I've been wearing the "standard" fedora for years and I'm probably gonna get some Trilby's, too.
They look good, are inexpensive and come in diverse styles.

Now I just gotta make a mask. Image

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:03 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

i have a trilby but its grey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:19 am 
So impotent.

Here's some nice Rorschach masks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sseG2D9ewW8

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:36 am 
Vigilante

Rosie wrote:
Here's some nice Rorschach masks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sseG2D9ewW8

Saw those on eBay. Doesn't look accurate enough to me. The lines are too thin and the blots are too detailed.

Anyway, my latest update is that the hat is proving to be the biggest obstacle. My trenchcoat is light khaki and it's tough finding just the right hat. Will check out a few stores and hopefully find a nice hat. Once I have the hat, everything else will fall into place.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1062 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 54  Next