WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:44 pm 
So impotent.

Co Creator of The Watchmen, Dave Gibbons, will be launching his new book: Watching The Watchmen, at The Birmingham International Comics Show, this October at Millennium Point.

The renowned artist and writer will be be presenting a special talk at the show and also taking part in signings and other fun events.

Other guests attending the show, which is the largest event in the UK devoted to comics, include John Cassaday, David Lloyd, Olivier Coipel, Mark Chiarello, Charlie Adlard, Duncan Fegredo, and the legendary Michael Golden to name just a few.

To find our more, and to reserve your place at the special Watchmen event visit the main show website at: http://www.thecomicsshow.co.uk

Chebbo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:13 pm 
I DID IT!

Already booked (along with 6 others). Got the Previews exclusive edition of the book on pre-order also. Can't wait for October 5th.

Any chance there'll be footage shown, like at movie con? ;)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:35 pm 
So impotent.

That would be cool, but we've not been offered any as yet. (hint hint) ;)

Hope you have a great weekend at the show.

Chebbo

Lord Ruthven wrote:
Already booked (along with 6 others). Got the Previews exclusive edition of the book on pre-order also. Can't wait for October 5th.

Any chance there'll be footage shown, like at movie con? ;)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:33 pm 
I DID IT!

CHEBBO wrote:
That would be cool, but we've not been offered any as yet. (hint hint) ;)

Hope you have a great weekend at the show.

Chebbo

Oh I'm sure we will :D I thought the wording of the announcement on site was a bit 'hinty' that there would be more than just talk of the book launch going on... Whatever happens, we're intending to have a great time.

Any idea how long will the presentation run for? No particular reason for asking, of course...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:16 pm 
So impotent.

The Watchmen launch lasts an hour. Then there are other events all through the weekend including a live podcast with Mr Gibbons.

Shane
http://www.thecomicsshow.co.uk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:41 pm 
I DID IT!

CHEBBO wrote:
The Watchmen launch lasts an hour. Then there are other events all through the weekend including a live podcast with Mr Gibbons.

Shane
http://www.thecomicsshow.co.uk

Excellent! The weekend is sounding better and better (even though I'll only be there for the Sunday) :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:13 pm 
So impotent.

The Full events schedule for BICS 2008 is now online at: http://www.thecomicsshow.co.uk/events.htm

Signings and portfolio reviews to follow.

Chebbo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:26 pm 
The Watcher

You'll probably see some banners promoting this event on the site from time to time.

CHEBBO has agreed to send me all of the details of Dave's presentation with photos, videos and whatever else he can get to us, so thanks to his cooperation, expect full coverage of any Watchmen happening at this event to happen here.

Thanks, CHEBBO!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:54 pm 
I DID IT!

DoomsdayClock wrote:
You'll probably see some banners promoting this event on the site from time to time.

CHEBBO has agreed to send me all of the details of Dave's presentation with photos, videos and whatever else he can get to us, so thanks to his cooperation, expect full coverage of any Watchmen happening at this event to happen here.

Thanks, CHEBBO!

This rules so much!

I'll be sure to give you my totally unbiased first hand views/opinions too :D
Maybe even get a pic or two of me with any Watchmen cosplayers there!

Just realised - that weekend will be so amazing for these three reasons:

1) Watching the Watchmen Previews Hardcover Exclusive Edition is released on Sept 24th (one month before direct market edition). So I can get it signed and sketched in by Dave Gibbons at BICS.

2) As mentioned, this very event takes place on the 5th, with lots of Watchmen goodness!

3) The day after that (6th) we get another Watchmen video journal :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:20 pm 
So impotent.

The final floorplan is now online at: http://www.thecomicsshow.co.uk/exhibitors.htm

Oh yeah, for all you comics fans on here, Fraser Irving has just confirmed for the show too.

Shane

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:04 am 
I DID IT!

DoomsdayClock wrote:

Thanks, CHEBBO!

JAWSOME

I look forward to reading the coverage.

"Under no circumstances should anyone encourage the ordinary person to be funny."
--Bob Mackey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:29 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

So... Anyone went for the book-signing event?? Strange that this thread is not updated...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:57 am 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

Thanks for reminding me about this!
Just had a look and Amazon.co.uk are selling it pretty cheap - £12.49 - as well as amazon.com who are selling it for a little over $26
DDC, got any affiliate links you can throw this way? I want to pre-order this bad boy

Incidentally, it's getting released in America on the 21st, but apparently not til the end of the month in the UK :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:14 pm 
The Watcher

AYBGerrardo wrote:
DDC, got any affiliate links you can throw this way? I want to pre-order this bad boy

Use the links on the books page on the main site. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:00 pm 

DoomsdayClock wrote:
AYBGerrardo wrote:

Those go to the .com - any way I can get you the affiliate with the .co.uk?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:03 pm 
The Watcher

AYBGerrardo wrote:
DoomsdayClock wrote:
AYBGerrardo wrote:

Those go to the .com - any way I can get you the affiliate with the .co.uk?

No, I can't set those up in the US.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:05 pm 

Ah ok nvm - would've helped if I could!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:36 pm 
I DID IT!

I was at the book launch at BICS last Sunday.

Interesting it was... yeah.

Don't get me wrong, Dave Gibbons was brilliant. The book itself is a nice chunky tome and Chip Kidd has done a cracking job on it's production - some full page images were blown up from thumbnails measuring 3x2 inches!. Dave commented that he doesn't actually have any original artwork himself. He said that he sold it all off many many years ago, for a total sum that is about one third of what a single page is going for these days on eBay etc!

The material used for the book was all the research, sketches, copies of John Higgins' colour guides, segments of Alan Moore's scripts, etc that he kept after the series was complete. He said that he felt it would be a shame to just throw it all out, so he put it in the bottom drawer of a filing cabinet and there it stayed for 20 years!

When DC spoke to him about who he would want to do the book, Dave had no hesitation naming Chip Kidd and his team. Rather than risk sending all his archived material to the States physically, Dave had it all professionally photographed and zipped across at the highest resolution possible. Chip Kidd doesn't smarten up old pieces and photoshop out any blemishes. He presents each piece as an art piece in and of itself. What you see on the page is exactly as it is, fresh from Dave Gibbons' drawers ;)

Dave had spoken to Alan Moore about the "Watching the Watchmen" book, and Alan gave him his blessing to use some of his scripts, as long as they weren't reproduced in totality. Obviously John Higgins was all for the book too, and Dave mentioned how John had jumped at the chance to correct many of the colour printing mistakes that occurred in the original series, when they commissioned the Absolute Edition.

There is so much stuff in the book it's mindblowing. Pretty much every character and chapter have their own sections, with never before seen artwork and related items. One slide Dave showed was a double page spread of the Ozymandias lead figurine for the roleplaying game, alongside an early character sketch of Ozymandias. Dave mentioned that although he has a full set of the figures, they are not in the best of order. His son practiced his figurine painting skills on them, and the years have not been kind...

It was great to see Dave's "test images" he did for the cover of Chapter I. He had roughly crayoned in the colours, with no real defining blacks or details, to see how it would look from across a room - gauging how eye-cathching it would be in a comic store! That page is placed next to the finished iconic cover of Chapter I. there are also photos of the original Rorschach ink blots that Dave phyically made himself. He went through tons of sheets of paper, and chose the ones that best visualised the emotions Alan had written Rorschach would be feeling at certain times.

The colour guides are insane, and how anyone could work from them is beyond me. Once John had coloured, in pencil, the pages he would then draw lines to the margins from every single area of individual colour and assign the relevant colour code to it. That would indicate to the printer what colour to use and where! Freakin' mind blowing why anyone would choose to be a colourist back in the day...

Those buying the book will also see the chart Dave devised to keep track of which pages he had drawn and which he had inked. He also had a related chart to keep track of the mornings and afternoons he worked on an issue, with one red box signifying the deadline for the final issue. Dave had to add an extra four boxes to his chart as four extra pages were added to Chapter XII.

Also, despite popular opinion, Watchmen wasn't that late in it's monthly shipping. It was only out by about 2 months (by Dave's recollection) and that was because DC didn't listen to them when Alan and Dave put forward their production schedule. DC decided to solicit Watchmen 3 months earlier than Alan and Dave had wanted them too - hence the delay towards the end. The huge delay in shipping that some people attribute to Watchmen was actually to do with Camelot 3000 - which was obscenely late by anyone's standards!

Speaking of DC, Dave said that one day he will be in a position to publish a book detailing the warts 'n all problems that he and Alan had with DC over Watchmen - and he promised that he will have it published!

There were loads of people taking photos and video of the slides shown. I was under the impression that such things weren't allowed so had already switched off and put away my camera phone before I went into the auditorium. Haven't seen any footage online as yet, but maybe that's not surprising given the quality of questions thrown at Dave afterwards in the Q&A session.

Seriously, never have I wanted to punch so many people in such a short space of time. At one point my friends and I looked at each other with the same malicious thought in mind - one assclown asked Dave, and he wasn't even kidding, if "Alan Moore is really as crazy as he acts in his interviews"

Dave, bless him, handled it really well. He had just been bombarded with questions by people who must have only just read about the Fox-Warner lawsuit in magazines months behind the times. You could almost believe the internet, and this website in particular, didn't actually exist...

Oh, and some people thought Dave Gibbons was on-hand producing the film adaption. I swear I could see the glazed look in his eyes when those questions were being asked. People around me were wondering why I was groaning in despair with each pointless question uttered.

Due to this flood of dumbfuckery I didn't get a chance to have my questions asked before it was all over.

[On top of that, I was afflicted by a rather nasty virus while travelling home which laid me out for four days - hence me missing out on most of the fun that ensued on these boards in the meantime].

Despite the woeful lack of intelligence shown by the majority of the audience - what that says to Dave about the majority of Watchmen "fans*" who attend Comic Cons I don't know - the presentation was a cracker and I can't wait to get my hands on the book itself.

I was still pissed that Titan Books failed to deliver the Previews Exclusive Hardcover Edition two weeks before the event. It would have been great to have it signed before the Bristol Comic Expo in May 2009. I dare say, trying to get anywhere near Dave then will be nigh impossible, what with the masses of new Watchmen fans the film is likely to reel in.

Good thing I got my Absolute Edition signed and sketched in 2006 eh? :D

Oh, on Saturday 4th October at BICS, Dave Gibbons did a Word Balloon podcast for newsarama, in which he discusses the Watchmen Motion Comic, the adaption of his Batman:Black and White tale (also for Motion Comics), the Watching the Watchmen book and his take on the film adaption amongst other topics. The podcasrt can be found via the previous link or directly here.

*Rather tellingly, not one of the questions asked of Dave had anythign to do with the GN or the Watching the Watchmen book - besides the dumbass "Alan Moore...crazy?" question, they were all in relation to the film (including the seemingly obligatory "What does Alan think of the film adaption?")

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:05 pm 

Awesome post - can't wait for this book!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:38 am 
I DID IT!

AYBGerrardo wrote:
Awesome post - can't wait for this book!

Thanks :) Took me long enough to write up as I kept remembering more and more of the presentation. Had I known the organisors would be so... uncaring... about photo/vid being taken I would have recorded the entire thing. Nevermind...