WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:52 pm 
Crimebuster

Does anyone know if there are plans to release Watchmen figures based on the comic book look? I know some where planned a while back but got scrapped. Would be neat to get a line in the similar scale to the movie versions.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:08 pm 
Labored long to build a heaven.

Pretty sure there aren't.

I think I would know, they don't call me Godziller66 the toy connoisseur for nothing.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:27 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Never happened. And judging from the lingering controversy over Alan Moore getting gypped out of merchandising cuts, I think it's a safe bet that it's never going to happen.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:58 pm 
Crimebuster

Well hold on, I thought DC owned the rights to Watchmen. Do they need Alan's permission to release figures? Are the comic versions of the figures would be a different commodity from the the existing movie ones? I don't get what pull Moore has on toys.

On a side note, not a big fan of Moore. Thought I would just through it out there. The "deep and brooding artist" types that don't get the marketing side of things just piss me off. Personal opinion... don't hate.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:23 am 

watchman wrote:
Well hold on, I thought DC owned the rights to Watchmen. Do they need Alan's permission to release figures? Are the comic versions of the figures would be a different commodity from the the existing movie ones? I don't get what pull Moore has on toys.

Well, I'm not a lawyer, but if I was, I would be Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney.

...I have nothing else to add.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:54 am 
Tired of Earth.

watchman wrote:

He doesn't. That's the problem.

Moore got denied his due and a huge chunk of his fanbase is sore about it. This is why DC has to tread extremely carefully when merchandising from the graphic novel, lest they piss off their consumers.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:58 am 
Tired of Earth.

So basically, yes they could do it, but the smart thing is to not do it. Same with those supposed sequels and spin-offs.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:48 am 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

Godziller66 wrote:
Pretty sure there aren't.

I think I would know, they don't call me Godziller66 the toy connoisseur for nothing.

i figured it was for, you know, the other kind of toy.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:53 am 
Crimebuster

I can't see how fans would be upset if some comic-based action figures got released. In fact, most own some of the ones from teh movie. Getting them in the same scale but of their comic counterparts would be a great treat for the fans.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:57 pm 
The Watcher

Actually, when it comes to merchandising the comic, DC is legally bound to get both Moore's and Gibbons's permission. - just how their boilerplate contract was written back in the day.

DC made some stuff when the comic was first released (a watch, some pins, etc.) and tried to use a loophole that these were "promotional items" not merchandise, so they were legally in the right. Moore and his lawyers disagreed, and that was the end of Watchmen comic merchandising. Learn more here...

http://www.watchmencomicmovie.com/origi ... andise.php

So expect to never get comics related merchandise. Be thankful that The Comedian, Dr. Manhattan and Rorschach look virtually identical in the movie as they did in the book, because that's as close as you're going to get.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:49 pm 
Crimebuster

Thank you very fucking much Mr. Moore and DC... Nothing like rearending the fans with you BS squables over rights. In the end, it's the fans that loose.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:09 pm 
Tired of Earth.

watchman wrote:
Thank you very fucking much Mr. Moore and DC... Nothing like rear-ending the fans with your BS squabbles over rights. In the end, it's the fans that loose.

Considering DC screwed them over in royalty checks, be glad they didn't get Watchmen taken out of print.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:07 pm 
New Frontiersman

DoomsdayClock wrote:
Actually, when it comes to merchandising the comic, DC is legally bound to get both Moore's and Gibbons's permission. - just how their boilerplate contract was written back in the day.

DC made some stuff when the comic was first released (a watch, some pins, etc.) and tried to use a loophole that these were "promotional items" not merchandise, so they were legally in the right. Moore and his lawyers disagreed, and that was the end of Watchmen comic merchandising.

Hmmm. That's not quite how I heard it.

That proposed DC Direct range of comic-based figures was being planned to coincide with the 15th birthday of WATCHMEN in 2001, along with the release of a brand new deluxe hardback edition of the work, the first since the Graphitti Designs version from the late 80s (which now fetches megabucks on eBay). Four prototype figures (two versions of Dr Manhattan, The Comedian complete with three interchangeable heads, and a Silk Spectre II) were crafted and exhibited to drooling fans at the 2000 San Diego Comic Con.

But since neither Moore NOR Gibbons, for that matter, felt much like joining in with DC's proposed celebrations at the time on account of the ongoing issue of WATCHMEN creator rights, the whole idea was scrapped and both action figure series and deluxe edition projects were shelved, so as not to draw embarrassing attention to the creators' grievances. Rather than wash their dirty linen in public, DC basically chickened out as a means of keeping Moore in particular quiet lest he be provoked into bad mouthing them even more than usual.

I'm not aware that Moore has any actual legal right of veto with regard to this and other forms of merchandising, as has been suggested; the whole concept of "Moore and his lawyers" just doesn't entirely ring true. Certainly ten years ago, it was simply a case of DC wanting to save face in light of Moore's own personal disapproval and lack of friendly blessing as opposed to any formally sanctioned legal power he had at his disposal.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:10 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

watchman wrote:
Thank you very fucking much Mr. Moore and DC... Nothing like rearending the fans with you BS squables over rights. In the end, it's the fans that loose.

Dude, give up on life, please.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:20 pm 

feliciano182 wrote:
watchman wrote:

Disclaimer: The WCM movie group does not condone auto-erotic asphyxiation.

Thank you for a moment of your time.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:42 pm 
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.

feliciano182 wrote:
watchman wrote:

I've gotta say that I loved the pun about rearending making the fans "loose"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:30 pm 
The Watcher

Writer Of Wrongs wrote:
DoomsdayClock wrote:

DC made some stuff when the comic was first released (a watch, some pins, etc.) and tried to use a loophole that these were "promotional items" not merchandise, so they were legally in the right. Moore and his lawyers disagreed, and that was the end of Watchmen comic merchandising.

Hmmm. That's not quite how I heard it.

That proposed DC Direct range of comic-based figures was being planned to coincide with the 15th birthday of WATCHMEN in 2001, along with the release of a brand new deluxe hardback edition of the work, the first since the Graphitti Designs version from the late 80s (which now fetches megabucks on eBay). Four prototype figures (two versions of Dr Manhattan, The Comedian complete with three interchangeable heads, and a Silk Spectre II) were crafted and exhibited to drooling fans at the 2000 San Diego Comic Con.

But since neither Moore NOR Gibbons, for that matter, felt much like joining in with DC's proposed celebrations at the time on account of the ongoing issue of WATCHMEN creator rights, the whole idea was scrapped and both action figure series and deluxe edition projects were shelved, so as not to draw embarrassing attention to the creators' grievances. Rather than wash their dirty linen in public, DC basically chickened out as a means of keeping Moore in particular quiet lest he be provoked into bad mouthing them even more than usual.

I'm not aware that Moore has any actual legal right of veto with regard to this and other forms of merchandising, as has been suggested; the whole concept of "Moore and his lawyers" just doesn't entirely ring true. Certainly ten years ago, it was simply a case of DC wanting to save face in light of Moore's own personal disapproval and lack of friendly blessing as opposed to any formally sanctioned legal power he had at his disposal.

No, not true. Moore's and Gibbons's approval is needed for DC to produce Watchmen comic merchandise. The dispute over this started in 1986 when DC tried their "promo item" loophole trick, but Moore spoke up and the items were discontinued.

Then in 2001, to coincide with the GN's 25th anniversary, DC tried again with some new action figures, but, likely due to the bullshit DC pulled in '86 (along with several other reasons Moore had at this point for not liking DC), Moore outright refused approval again.

Forgive my "and his lawyers" crack. That was my way to paraphrase that Moore was legally in the right. I certainly have no proof that any lawyers were retained by Moore in that instance.

To add more drama to this story, just last year DC tried to dangle a carrot in front of Moore to get him to play ball, and he balked.

http://www.watchmencomicmovie.com/07211 ... -moore.php

Thank God he did, or we would all be seeing "The Adventures of Rorschach and his trusty crime-fighting dog Blot" on comic stands today.

Who's right; who's wrong? Who knows.

If anything DC is more of a villain here as they tried a few sleazy tricks to get what they wanted - first by sidestepping the law "creatively," and second, by dangling the rights in front of Moore as an attempt to bleed as much money as they could from a Watchmen "franchise."

The geek in me wishes there were more comic related merch, but the fan in me is going to stick by Moore on this one.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:50 pm 
Crimebuster

And I say Moore needs to stop being a baby. Boo-hoo, got screwed 25 years ago. Get over it. He can mend a relationship and give the fans what they want. And even if we don't get any other books, at least we would finally have some merchandise to collect.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:51 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

watchman wrote:
And I say Moore needs to stop being a baby. Boo-hoo, got screwed 25 years ago. Get over it. He can mend a relationship and give the fans what they want. And even if we don't get any other books, at least we would finally have some merchandise to collect.

You are THE BEST TROLL I have ever seen.

Your hear that Ghondar ?! Vas a seguir diciéndome Troll a mí después de esto :lol: ?!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:02 am 
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.

watchman wrote:

The fans don't want any o' that shit.