WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:58 pm 
The Watcher

I like to collect action figures here and there. My latest obsession is with the new Star Trek line of figures by Art Asylum. But who wants Watchmen figures? Or if not Watchmen, what other figures would you buy if they were available? Not sure? Check out this article (which gave me the idea for this thread) for some ideas...

http://www.mania.com/53451.html

Personally, Watchmen is high on the list. Also, I would fllip if there wer Buckaroo Banzai figures or some really good Mad Max figures, not the shitty ones that were released a while back, decent ones with all of the characters - especially form Beyond Thunderdome (imagine the Master Blaster two pack!)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:18 pm 
Indestructible Man

What grabbed my attention from the article was that DC will not license Watchmen action figures unless Moore and Gibbons participate. A noble sentiment, but woefully ignorant of the fact that merchandising is what led Moore to blackball DC to begin with. So with all due respect, I think that if it's the only way we're going to get any more Watchmen merchandise, DC had better say "screw you" right back and start commissioning those action figures.

Now, I still don't have my copy of the book with me, but I remember that one of the extras at the back of each issue contained a dummy catalog of action figures to be sold by Veidt. Stuff like a Rorschach figure with a working grappling gun. A Nite Owl figure with a removable cloak. An intricately detailed Archie with working lights. Even figures for Moloch and Bubastis.

That's the sort of thing I want to see.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:25 pm 
New Frontiersman

I'm actually more interested in a collected (or even custom-making my own) set of Watchmen Megos. Remember Megos? Those obscure dolls from the stone ages with that football-helmeted Batman doll? I've become fascinated with collecting these. I'm not sure why really, but I'm just drawn to them.

The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking. The solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I would have become a watchmaker. - Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:50 pm 
The Watcher

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
I remember that one of the extras at the back of each issue contained a dummy catalog of action figures to be sold by Veidt. Stuff like a Rorschach figure with a working grappling gun. A Nite Owl figure with a removable cloak. An intricately detailed Archie with working lights. Even figures for Moloch and Bubastis.

Here you go...

And speaking of Mego figueres, did you see the custom Rorschach and Nite-Owl ones on the Action Figure page of this site?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:07 am 
New Frontiersman

DoomsdayClock wrote:
And speaking of Mego figueres, did you see the custom Rorschach and Nite-Owl ones on the Action Figure page of this site?

Yes, I did. It makes me wish I had the time and resources to make my own set of custom Watchmen Megos.

The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking. The solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I would have become a watchmaker. - Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:30 am 
Alien Squid Monster

Here Moore detailes his proposal further what the action figures should be able to do:

"Rorschach Action Men – wind them up and they’ll break all the fingers on your Transformers! Dr. Manhattan dolls that give you cancer… ‘

http://www.johncoulthart.com/feuilleton/?p=53

Personally I think it would be against the spirit of the book to put a shiny Ozzy figure on your desk w/o a Joey figure next to it...and seriously, who'd produce a Joey statue?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:37 am 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

Gimme. Now!

My shelf at work at the moment:

Action fugures are a nice idea. Especially a "Veidt" line just as depicted in the manufacturers test "photo" above.

But some sculpted set pieces would be great...

Rorschach climbing through Blake's window.
Kovacs "End of the world signman"
Dreiberg, sorrowful beside his cupboard.
The newsstand and the guy reading the mag.
Nite Owl "let's go!".

Woooah.

There's just so many iconic images begging for treatment.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:21 pm 
Vigilante

I'll post a picture of my self later. My favorite figures I have is Simon Pegg as Shaun from Shaun of the Dead, Quentin Taranito as Rapist #1 in Planter Terror.

On the Watchmen Figures, I have home-made a Comedian figure and Roschach along with a V I made before they made a V action figure. I also have a mass-load of Nightmare Before Chirstmas merch.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:34 pm 
Close to locating a gluino.

Quote:
On the Watchmen Figures, I have home-made a Comedian figure and Roschach along with a V I made before they made a V action figure.

post pics of your watchmen and v customs!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:48 am 
Vigilante

I like these action figures myself, although my favorite action figure is right here.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:42 am 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

Quote:
You don't even need to make clothes for Dr. Manhattan.

rofl dd!

ewww, blottestman, tarantino doesn't come with a removable zombie dick does he? (for those who haven't seen planet terror, that's what happens!)

hey soupdragon! nice leonidas and darlek (are you watching the latest series' of doctor who too? if so we should make a thread!)

myself i have quite a lot of those Marvel Legends figures (they are excellent in terms of the number of joints and stuff) and a V (film merch, but if it looks exactly like the one in the book i want it!) and some random crap i found on sale!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:09 pm 

Swedes are a bunch of Phillistines when it comes to science fiction TV. They showed the Ecclestone/Piper Dr Who a while back. No news yet as to the next series.

It was the first time Dr Who had ever been aired here.

I do remember watching Hartnell in the first ever show, though. When it was shown. Happy memories.

I have always wanted to own a Dalek. I bought the thing in Penzance Woolworths this last summer. Those bigger radio-controlled ones look cute, though. Cost a bit. :(

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:15 am 
Indestructible Man

Back on topic...

What about other Watchmen-related toys? How about Nite Owl II goggles? A Rorschach voice modifier? And how about an Owlship?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:53 am 

heh "nite owl goggles can be, if you want them to be, a complete costume!"
how about parody posters of those "have a day" ones, except all the smilies will be bloodied ones!
Have a 'Nam day, Have a Random Existence day, have an impotent day?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:13 am 

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Back on topic...

What about other Watchmen-related toys? How about Nite Owl II goggles? A Rorschach voice modifier? And how about an Owlship?

My son would love them, but I can't imagine the toyshops going gaga over products pushing an 18-feature.

There would be many adults interested, mind you. The source is 20 years old, a couple of generations have grown up on it. The film will surely spark more interest from late teens, too, that are new to the story.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:41 am 
New Frontiersman

i want a Owl Ship. a real one!

i can fly over the traffic jams while sipping hot cocoa. :ugeek:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:22 am 

just think of the rep you'd get breaking people out of prison!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:56 pm 
Minuteman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:31 pm 

fantastic! i love it!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:29 am 
Oh how the ghost of you clings...

It would be awesome if they would make action figures based on the characters in the graphic novel.

We'll probably see movie figures, but I'd much rather have the original versions.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next