WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:32 am 
Vigilante

RP thread!

http://www.watchmencomicmovie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3824&p=127183#p127183

I didn't see another roleplay open and active, so I was wondering if anyone would like to begin one? ^^ I do apologize if this is in the wrong section.

My friend and I are fairly new fans of Watchmen and have a growing fascination for the characters and their personalities, but aren't comfortable playing the roles ourselves out of fear of not playing them in character. We were hoping that experienced fans would feel more at ease assuming one of these roles for some good fun.

It'd be nice to have a mix of the main characters as well as some OCs for variety, but please no cross-overs. Of course I realize this isn't a roleplay site, but if posts could be kept over a few sentences long it would really be appreciated. ^^

Possible rules: ((More could be added as needed/requested.))

1 Keep established characters in character. Of course there is creative license, no one can play the role perfectly, but please try to keep it true to the roles.

2. Some literacy requested, please don't mutilate the English language. Please keep posts above three or four sentences, and type out the responses rather using ** to describe actions.

Plot: Open to suggestion. Obviously this is a fandom, and if anyone has an idea for a plot they’ve wanted to use we would love to hear it. ^^

And thank you all for your time, I hope some of you are interested in joining in. ^^ I’m sure it’ll be a lot of fun.

Last edited by kikora21 on Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:39 am 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

there was a forum that started somewhere solely for Watchmen RPing, can't remember the site though, no-one went to it after a few posts.

edit: found the site http://owlship.forumotion.com/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:24 am 
Vigilante

I saw that when I looked for an existing roleplay thread, but it seems like it died, likely because the creator wanted to create his own forum rather then keep it here around the real fans. ^^;;

Maybe it's just the fangirl in me, but I love to play/play with characters I find fascinating. It's just never fun to play with casual fans who don't take the time to understand the characters, and instead only imitating basic behavior they saw in the movie or graphic novels. (( :S ))

Which is why I would really like to see this roleplay happen here, close to the people who know the characters well enough to assume their roles, and would enjoy the chance to see them interact with others in new and fun ways.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:47 am 
The Watcher

kikora21 wrote:
I saw that when I looked for an existing roleplay thread, but it seems like it died, likely because the creator wanted to create his own forum rather then keep it here around the real fans. ^^;;

Maybe it's just the fangirl in me, but I love to play/play with characters I find fascinating. It's just never fun to play with casual fans who don't take the time to understand the characters, and instead only imitating basic behavior they saw in the movie or graphic novels. (( :S ))

Which is why I would really like to see this roleplay happen here, close to the people who know the characters well enough to assume their roles, and would enjoy the chance to see them interact with others in new and fun ways.

Why not start a thread and if there is interest I'll create a separate section of the forum to house this. Does that sound good?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:54 am 
Vigilante

DoomsdayClock wrote:
kikora21 wrote:

Why not start a thread and if there is interest I'll create a separate section of the forum to house this. Does that sound good?

That sounds great! ^^

I'll start work on a basic plot and set up then, thank you. ^^ In the meantime if anyone is interested in assuming a role or making their own character can decide exactly who they want to play.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:04 pm 
The Watcher

kikora21 wrote:
DoomsdayClock wrote:
kikora21 wrote:

That sounds great! ^^

I'll start work on a basic plot and set up then, thank you. ^^ In the meantime if anyone is interested in assuming a role or making their own character can decide exactly who they want to play.

Make sure your first post has all of the rules and what folks need to do. I'll also "stickie" the thread so it stays on top. I don't know how these work, so let me know if you need several threads.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:18 pm 
Vigilante

DoomsdayClock wrote:
kikora21 wrote:
DoomsdayClock wrote:
kikora21 wrote:

That sounds great! ^^

Make sure your first post has all of the rules and what folks need to do. I'll also "stickie" the thread so it stays on top. I don't know how these work, so let me know if you need several threads.

There shouldn't be any reason to have more than one thread at the beginning, but it will be divided into a few posts for organization purposes. I failed at thinking up a decent plot, so maybe keep this thread open for ideas and suggestions for keeping the RP open? Like an OOC area. ^^

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:42 pm 
The Watcher

I see you have it set in 1982... perhaps people might enjoy playing prior to the Keane Act... lots more vigilante action that way. Say, 1976?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:47 pm 
Vigilante

You think so? ^^

Alright, I can edit that now. Besides, that would put the characters at a far more interesting part of history. ^^

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:50 pm 
Crimebuster

I'd be interested. Would it be written is prose fashion or with *actions being put between asterisks*?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:57 pm 
Vigilante

Prose, please.

Here's a link to the thread. I have a list of rules there and a character skeleton for whatever role you'd like to play. ^^
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3824&p=127184#p127184

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:55 am 
Minuteman

Hello everyone. ^^ I've submitted a profile of my own, and I look forward to role-playing with you.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:28 am 
Vigilante

Good to have you!! ^^ And feel free to post whenever you're comfortable. ^^

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:20 am 
Vigilante

We do need Heroes and Cannon characters. ^^

For those who might not understand what I mean with this RP, it' a chance to openly play out scenerios with other fans, so please feel free to jump in.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:24 am 
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.

It just seems like watchmen is a pretty closed universe.
I've never done a roleplay before either, so i wouldn't know how to start.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:34 am 
Vigilante

It does go a bit into fandom, but the setting itself is at a point where it leaves some room for interpretation. Going a bit outside the plot of the work itself for fanfare is just fine as long as no one goes overboard and stays more or less true to the nature of the characters.

It's really not as difficult as people think, no harder than writing a brief story. The amount of detail you add is completely up to you, and if you play an original character it's easy to pull into the story without the same worry of staying in character. ((We do need Cannons though DX))

Really it's a chance to explore the characters we all adore in different settings and situations.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:21 am 
Minuteman

I'm wavering on attempting a canon, I'm fan enough not to like the idea of butchering a good character, but if I do I'll play the Comedian because of the characters I think I could most easily manage his persona. Likely I'd play him as a temp. though, that way anyone who feels they could do better could jump in. Seriously though, with so many awesome characters in this fandom there has to be a few in the role-play!

It just wouldn't be a Watchmen roleplay without the likes of NightOwl II, Rorschach, Silk Spectre II, Comedian, Ozymandias, and Manhattan would it?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:36 am 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

Raptured Night wrote:
I'm wavering on attempting a canon, I'm fan enough not to like the idea of butchering a good character, but if I do I'll play the Comedian because of the characters I think I could most easily manage his persona. Likely I'd play him as a temp. though, that way anyone who feels they could do better could jump in. Seriously though, with so many awesome characters in this fandom there has to be a few in the role-play!

It just wouldn't be a Watchmen roleplay without the likes of NightOwl II, Rorschach, Silk Spectre II, Comedian, Ozymandias, and Manhattan would it?

i actually liked the idea on the other roleplay of it being post 1985, so as to avoid having too many established characters.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:20 am 
Vigilante

Raptured Night wrote:

i actually liked the idea on the other roleplay of it being post 1985, so as to avoid having too many established characters.

Right now it's completely up to the people on the board how many cannon characters there are and how often they are played. ^^ The earlier setting has put us in the perfect spot for an RP, tension is high for the heroes to be outlawed, which gives us a lot of room to work with. Original heroes will fit better here then in 1985, and it gives room for original villains ((Like Dhiren)) to function and ultimately be defeated. ((I hope.))

Actually we really need more cannon characters so it can feel like a Watchmen RP, I think.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:05 pm 
So impotent.

Well, already in the RP. I can't wait for something bizzare/great to develop.

Just a side-note, I think it would be great if this topic was linked to the RP at the first post or something of the like. For convenience, mostly.