WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum


Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:39 pm 
Offline
…a puppet who can see the strings.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:42 pm
Posts: 8538
Location: A stronger world
I don't know if you guys are familiar with Derren Brown, but he's a very popular TV magician/hoaxer here. Larry Fong, DP on Watchmen, is also a magician and is evidently a fan of Brown's. So when the latter tweeted about using Fight Club, Donnie Darko, The Game and Watchmen for his latest show, Larry was very happy. Curious I decided to check out the show and upload the Watchmen-relevant bits for Larry's benefit and yours.

Watching it it's clear he's pretty much replicated those sources. Some might say (some have) that he's ripping them off, but it's pretty cool seeing, for instance, the Fight Club scene in which Tyler holds a man at gunpoint happen in real life.

Anywho, here's a clip. Not for the first time, Alan Moore has grounds to sue. Then again, editing the words may have been the unethical thing to do, since it might be seen as failing to make it clear that the content wasn't original. Still, if ever there was a reason to email Dave Gibbons...

_________________
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
it was tying it into the rape-revenge stories and making light of a verys erious sub-genre that kind of offended me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:12 am 
Offline
Tired of Earth.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:01 am
Posts: 8035
Location: Clackamas, OR
Oh, yeah. This guy's a hack.

_________________
This is truly a madhouse. And I'm the lunatic running it. I've spent three years wondering if I should be proud or ashamed.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:23 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm
Posts: 10199
It bothers me that this Derren Brown has his own show, something like that should be cancelled on grounds of being blatant bullshit.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:40 pm 
Offline
Labored long to build a heaven.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 12480
Location: Monster Island (Really New York)
Matthew: You had me at hello.

_________________
"The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part.
Image
"There's a cello in your house now."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:06 pm 
Offline
Government-Sponsored Weirdo
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:39 am
Posts: 7191
Location: Everywhere, Everywhen, UK.
feliciano182 wrote:
It bothers me that this Derren Brown has his own show, something like that should be cancelled on grounds of being blatant bullshit.


huh?

_________________
We're all actors, Laurie. I'm just an actor who read the script. :?
ImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:23 pm 
Offline
Labored long to build a heaven.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 12480
Location: Monster Island (Really New York)
AvatarIII wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:
It bothers me that this Derren Brown has his own show, something like that should be cancelled on grounds of being blatant bullshit.


huh?

What?

_________________
"The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part.
Image
"There's a cello in your house now."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:22 pm 
Offline
Government-Sponsored Weirdo
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:39 am
Posts: 7191
Location: Everywhere, Everywhen, UK.
Godziller66 wrote:
AvatarIII wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:
It bothers me that this Derren Brown has his own show, something like that should be cancelled on grounds of being blatant bullshit.


huh?

What?


i don't think derren brown is "blatant bullshit"

_________________
We're all actors, Laurie. I'm just an actor who read the script. :?
ImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:24 pm 
Offline
Labored long to build a heaven.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 12480
Location: Monster Island (Really New York)
AvatarIII wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:
AvatarIII wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:
It bothers me that this Derren Brown has his own show, something like that should be cancelled on grounds of being blatant bullshit.


huh?

What?


i don't think derren brown is "blatant bullshit"

Oh yeah. Good point, I guess.

I mean, he doesn't claim that any of his powers are real. He's just a magician.

_________________
"The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part.
Image
"There's a cello in your house now."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:51 pm 
Offline
Government-Sponsored Weirdo
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:39 am
Posts: 7191
Location: Everywhere, Everywhen, UK.
Godziller66 wrote:
AvatarIII wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:
AvatarIII wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:
It bothers me that this Derren Brown has his own show, something like that should be cancelled on grounds of being blatant bullshit.


huh?

What?


i don't think derren brown is "blatant bullshit"

Oh yeah. Good point, I guess.

I mean, he doesn't claim that any of his powers are real. He's just a magician.



he doesn't even claim to be a magician, all he does is use suggestion and psychology and stuff like that. he's actually well known for debunking people who do claim to be psychic and stuff.

_________________
We're all actors, Laurie. I'm just an actor who read the script. :?
ImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:34 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm
Posts: 10199
AvatarIII wrote:
he doesn't even claim to be a magician, all he does is use suggestion and psychology and stuff like that.


No he isn't, unless you want to take pop-culture psychology as the real deal.

Half of the stuff he said on that video is not possible, you can't suggest stuff to people while they are unconscious with the ease that Mr. Brown did it, some of my teachers from my previous alma mater would be having a parade with the stuff this guy said.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:47 pm 
Offline
Government-Sponsored Weirdo
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:39 am
Posts: 7191
Location: Everywhere, Everywhen, UK.
feliciano182 wrote:
AvatarIII wrote:
he doesn't even claim to be a magician, all he does is use suggestion and psychology and stuff like that.


No he isn't, unless you want to take pop-culture psychology as the real deal.

Half of the stuff he said on that video is not possible, you can't suggest stuff to people while they are unconscious with the ease that Mr. Brown did it, some of my teachers from my previous alma mater would be having a parade with the stuff this guy said.


the guy wasn't unconscious, he was woken at a time his brain was susceptible to suggestion, and he has a suggestible personality to start with, people like that are probably very rare, and brown seeks these people out specifically.

_________________
We're all actors, Laurie. I'm just an actor who read the script. :?
ImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:54 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm
Posts: 10199
AvatarIII wrote:
the guy wasn't unconscious, he was woken at a time his brain was susceptible to suggestion


As I said, pop-culture psychology, there is no proof that people's brains are even susceptible to suggestion when they are woken at one point during their sleep, there is no proof that an unconscious mind even exists, hell, psychologists are bickering about the possibility that the mind may or may not even exist.

There is indeed Hypnosis which can work quite the way Mr. Brown presumes, but you are induced into a state of conciousness while being in a resting position, and it's NOWHERE NEAR what Mr. Brown did with the speakers.

And you certainly don't fucking get up from your bed, get dressed and walk to the yard to meet a strange fellow and allow him to speak any nonsense to you :lol: !

AvatarIII wrote:
he has a suggestible personality to start with


And how do you know that ? because Mr. Brown told you ;) ?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:10 pm 
Offline
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:29 am
Posts: 4978
Yeah, I'm on Feliciano's side for this one.

_________________
Say, Doc, did I ever tell you I'm the only metal that's liquid at room temperature?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:31 pm 
Offline
Labored long to build a heaven.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 12480
Location: Monster Island (Really New York)
I'm gonna go with the psychology major and common sense.

Though apparently, I don't know jack because this is my second time switching sides.

_________________
"The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part.
Image
"There's a cello in your house now."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:39 pm 
Offline
Alien Squid Monster
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:20 pm
Posts: 134
feliciano182 wrote:
And you certainly don't fucking get up from your bed, get dressed and walk to the yard to meet a strange fellow and allow him to speak any nonsense to you :lol: !



You don't think people sleepwalk to this degree? I had a roommate who found herself sitting on a kitchen counter one night, combing her hair with what turned out to be a steak knife. I had another friend who walked out through his backyard, through the garden, and into another neighbor's yard without waking -- his parents had to track him down and bring him back to the house.

*shrug* I do take Derren Brown's stuff with a grain of salt here and there, but I find this within the realm of possibility (barely, but still).

I do find it hard to believe that Simon Pegg would just collude with him -- he seemed genuinely puzzled, but then, he is an actor -- on that one episode...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:35 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm
Posts: 10199
Janx wrote:
You don't think people sleepwalk to this degree? I had a roommate who found herself sitting on a kitchen counter one night, combing her hair with what turned out to be a steak knife. I had another friend who walked out through his backyard, through the garden, and into another neighbor's yard without waking -- his parents had to track him down and bring him back to the house.


My uncle once tried to go to the movies at 2:00 am. Sleepwalking exists, but this isn't sleepwalking, it's "inducing people into dreamlike states through the use of suggestions to the unconscious mind" or "sensasionalist bullshit".

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:49 am 
Offline
Dog Carcass in Alley
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:55 am
Posts: 6493
Location: Toronto, Ont, Canada
First of all, if I awoke to some phantom voice in the middle of the night that would scare the shit out of me. Second, he tells the guy he's having a dream. So wouldn't that cause the guy to "wake up" if he were actually dreaming?

_________________
Image

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:59 pm 
Offline
Close to locating a gluino.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:56 am
Posts: 836
Location: Dublin, Ireland
i think it's hilarious that the knives are out about this.

when the likes of simon pegg and reece shearsmith (both of whom has appeared in brown's programmes) produce their works (i.e. pegg and stevenson/hynes' amazing "spaced" and the equally brilliant "the league of gentlemen"* from shearsmith and co) they are layered with film, tv and sci-fi references. in fact, many episodes of both the series mentioned are effectively pastiches or homages to particular pop-culture narratives.

"shaun of the dead" anyone?

GEORGE A. ROMERO ANYONE?

but, because they work in the world of fiction and storytelling - it's accepted.

what is the real difference between these writers and brown's work? fiction vs. real life effect? well, brown's work is mostly fiction.

yet, well constructed fiction effects us on a deep personal level... and that's why everyone on this forum has written their bit on here. art effects us - and any art can produce a similar effect to what the actual experiences would... if not a greater one.

brown is not a conman - in fact, in "derren brown investigates" frauds exploiting the fragile and ignorant is something he directly tries expose.

all writers and artists use influences from their own backlog of art and culture... and if brown lists these influences, surely this proves he's a genuine artist rather than some other-worldly and original creative genius.

the guy is an intellectual and an artist, but above all a showman... and he doesn't call himself anything different.

is fandom pissed because brown was inspired by moore and palaniuk (ect.)'s work and used their influence in his own piece? because he openly admitted it? or because they hold these works close to their own hearts too and don't like to see it used out of the realms of culture that they (the fans) themselves are comfortable with?

after all, was ditko pissed about "watchmen"?


*yes, it's a similar title to something to do with something that someone may have wrote. a comic series, maybe.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:40 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
iancontinence wrote:
i think it's hilarious that the knives are out about this.

when the likes of simon pegg and reece shearsmith (both of whom has appeared in brown's programmes) produce their works (i.e. pegg and stevenson/hynes' amazing "spaced" and the equally brilliant "the league of gentlemen"* from shearsmith and co) they are layered with film, tv and sci-fi references. in fact, many episodes of both the series mentioned are effectively pastiches or homages to particular pop-culture narratives.

"shaun of the dead" anyone?

GEORGE A. ROMERO ANYONE?

but, because they work in the world of fiction and storytelling - it's accepted.

what is the real difference between these writers and brown's work? fiction vs. real life effect? well, brown's work is mostly fiction.

yet, well constructed fiction effects us on a deep personal level... and that's why everyone on this forum has written their bit on here. art effects us - and any art can produce a similar effect to what the actual experiences would... if not a greater one.

brown is not a conman - in fact, in "derren brown investigates" frauds exploiting the fragile and ignorant is something he directly tries expose.

all writers and artists use influences from their own backlog of art and culture... and if brown lists these influences, surely this proves he's a genuine artist rather than some other-worldly and original creative genius.

the guy is an intellectual and an artist, but above all a showman... and he doesn't call himself anything different.

is fandom pissed because brown was inspired by moore and palaniuk (ect.)'s work and used their influence in his own piece? because he openly admitted it? or because they hold these works close to their own hearts too and don't like to see it used out of the realms of culture that they (the fans) themselves are comfortable with?

after all, was ditko pissed about "watchmen"?


*yes, it's a similar title to something to do with something that someone may have wrote. a comic series, maybe.


QFT. I can't really add anything, this is exactly what I was thinking

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:16 pm 
Offline
Close to locating a gluino.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:56 am
Posts: 836
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
QFT.


quantum field theory?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.100s | 15 Queries | GZIP : Off ]