WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum


Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:02 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm
Posts: 10216
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Why wouldn't he have been a good Dr. M? Jon is a very intense, intellectual character who speaks clearly and with a cold detachment that would rival a computer. Brando is famous for playing characters like Terry Malloy who are people from the streets, Even Don Corleone is one of those street smart, but not book smart, guys.


True, true, still, I've always felt that Marlon Brando had such an ability to control himself, (his emotions, his expressions, his tone) that despite what his usual roles have been, he could still be capable of playing Manhattan.

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Perfect example Bogey as Rorschach... that would be terrible on so many levels, even though Bogey has played gumshoe/noir detectives that doesn't mean he'd be good in that part. Another example is Jimmy Stewart, one of my favorite actors, he'd be horrible as Dr. Manhattan, despite being a very good actor


I wouldn't think of Bogey as Rorschach either, you can't grasp the character completely with an actor with experience on film noir, that would be like thinking that Schwarzzeneger could play the Punisher because a lot of his characters have been soldiers.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:05 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
feliciano182 wrote:
True, true, still, I've always felt that Marlon Brando had such an ability to control himself, (his emotions, his expressions, his tone) that despite what his usual roles have been, he could still be capable of playing Manhattan.


I just don't think he could have handled the super intelligent aspects, epescially with his kind of slurred speech (not that he had any control over that)

feliciano182 wrote:
I wouldn't think of Bogey as Rorschach either, you can't grasp the character completely with an actor with experience on film noir, that would be like thinking that Schwarzzeneger could play the Punisher because a lot of his characters have been soldiers.


EXACTLY! We agree for once!

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:24 pm 
Offline
…a puppet who can see the strings.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:42 pm
Posts: 8542
Location: A stronger world
Arnold Schawzenegger for Dr M!

_________________
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
it was tying it into the rape-revenge stories and making light of a verys erious sub-genre that kind of offended me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:32 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
AYBGerrardo wrote:
Arnold Schawzenegger for Dr M!


"We're owl puhputs, Lawrie."

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:48 pm 
Offline
The Watcher
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:58 am
Posts: 3650
Location: New York
I see your points about Brando, but he did play Jor-el. A very intellegent and intellectual character. I think he can pull it off. Yul Brenner did come to mind, but his thick accent would mess that role up.

_________________
Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music - George Carlin


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:56 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
DoomsdayClock wrote:
I see your points about Brando, but he did play Jor-el. A very intellegent and intellectual character.


But Jor-El wasn't a central character in what would probably be a 2 and a half to three hour epic.

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:18 pm 
Offline
Dog Carcass in Alley
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:55 am
Posts: 6493
Location: Toronto, Ont, Canada
I've often thought that Frank Gorshin could have made an excellent Moloch. At least in terms of his appearance.

Image

For Rorschach, I'd pick a hardass like James Coburn.

DoomsdayClock wrote:
Yul Brenner did come to mind, but his thick accent would mess that role up.


Probably true, although he did seem like he would be the go to guy to play a bald character like Jon.

For Dr Manhattan, how about Burt Lancaster?

_________________
Image

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:09 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm
Posts: 10216
t3cii wrote:
For Rorschach, I'd pick a hardass like James Coburn.


Wow, I mean, WOW ...

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:46 pm 
Offline
Dog Carcass in Alley
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:55 am
Posts: 6493
Location: Toronto, Ont, Canada
feliciano182 wrote:
t3cii wrote:
For Rorschach, I'd pick a hardass like James Coburn.


Wow, I mean, WOW ...


feliciano182 wrote:
Just in case, always explain why, so that...........you know............we know :) !


In this case, explain why not.

_________________
Image

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:50 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm
Posts: 10216
t3cii wrote:
In this case, explain why not.


On the contrary, as soon as I heard that suggestion I had mental images of a more extreme Rorschach :lol: !

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:59 pm 
Offline
Dog Carcass in Alley
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:55 am
Posts: 6493
Location: Toronto, Ont, Canada
feliciano182 wrote:
t3cii wrote:
In this case, explain why not.


On the contrary, as soon as I heard that suggestion I had mental images of a more extreme Rorschach :lol: !


Oh, okay. It's just when you said "Wow...I mean WOW", I thought you might have a problem with it.

Actually, I thought you might tell me he was too tall for the role.

_________________
Image

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:09 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm
Posts: 10216
t3cii wrote:
Actually, I thought you might tell me he was too tall for the role.


Well, I try not to think too much about those things, nothing that a little camera work can't deal with.

By those standards, Humphrey Bogart should've been discarded head on !

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:04 pm 
Offline
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:29 am
Posts: 4978
Image
Jack Nicholson as the Comedian.

_________________
Say, Doc, did I ever tell you I'm the only metal that's liquid at room temperature?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:10 pm 
Offline
…a puppet who can see the strings.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:42 pm
Posts: 8542
Location: A stronger world
Make it in the 40s and there's one man who should be Adrian Veidt.

"You couldn't really do that ?"

Image

_________________
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
it was tying it into the rape-revenge stories and making light of a verys erious sub-genre that kind of offended me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:03 pm 
Offline
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:28 pm
Posts: 2021
Location: Aotearoa
Just cast everyone from that awesome film 'The Attack of the Wildly-Drifting-Decade References'.

James Coburn would make a great 60's Comedian, Anthony Perkins equally for Rorschach.

_________________
...evidently chicken-town.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:16 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
AYBGerrardo wrote:
Make it in the 40s and there's one man who should be Adrian Veidt.

"You couldn't really do that ?"

Image


I am so glad you aren't a casting agent for your job.

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:48 am 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm
Posts: 10216
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
I am so glad you aren't a casting agent for your job.


You're just saying that because you're still angry at AYB :lol:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:49 am 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
feliciano182 wrote:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
I am so glad you aren't a casting agent for your job.


You're just saying that because you're still angry at AYB :lol:


Well, even in his physical "prime" nobody was going to think that Orson Welles was the pinnacle of human development, honestly. Yes he could handle the cold asshole side no question there, but Veidt is also physical perfection... something welles was far from.

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:09 am 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm
Posts: 10216
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
I am so glad you aren't a casting agent for your job.


You're just saying that because you're still angry at AYB :lol:


Well, even in his physical "prime" nobody was going to think that Orson Welles was the pinnacle of human development, honestly. Yes he could handle the cold asshole side no question there, but Veidt is also physical perfection... something welles was far from.


That's what the make-up department and fitness trainers are for :P !

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:11 am 
Offline
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:29 am
Posts: 4978
Welles would be way better playing Nixon than playing Veidt

_________________
Say, Doc, did I ever tell you I'm the only metal that's liquid at room temperature?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.223s | 11 Queries | GZIP : Off ]