WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:47 am 
I DID IT!

Announced yesterday at the 2014 Toy Fair, this will be out sometime this year. Like others in this series, it will be about 10" tall with MSRP around $89.99:

My personal interwebz:
Facebook (regular Carl™)
Twitter (caffeinated Carl™)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:47 am 
Tired of Earth.

How interesting. I wonder if they'll do any others.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:49 pm 
I DID IT!

I would hope so, but if the recent history of WATCHMEN licensed products is any indication probably not.

I'm still bummed that the one good thing to come out of Before Watchmen (other than the art and covers on the books) is finishing with 5 of 6 of the core members. This is the DC Collectibles statues series. Which will have all of the main characters except for Nite Owl. That's a shame, not only because it leaves the line frustratingly incomplete (just ONE more character!) but because they were actually really cool items.

I've come to understand and accept, however, that we diehard WATCHMEN collectors are a pretty small group. Heh. That said, I do hope this Rorschach figures turns out well and is successful enough for them to pursue making at least a couple more.

My personal interwebz:
Facebook (regular Carl™)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:00 pm 
The Watcher

I contacted Hot Toys a while back to ask if they would be doing Rorschach and they said "no" because the sales of the other Watchmen figures were poor. This coming from a company that did Stallone from The Expendables, Bruce Willis from G.I. Joe: Retaliation, and Adrian Brody from Predators.

If they actually did a Rorschach it would sell more than the above three combined and then some.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:22 pm 
I DID IT!

Yeah, but Hot Toys made the mistake of kicking off their 1:6 WATCHMEN line with Silk Spectre, which did not do well. The Comedian did much better, but by then it was too little, too late. They should have led off with Rorschach.

The figures you mentioned are good examples of ones that Rorschach would easily out-sell, but they were also from smaller lines (2 or 3 figures, at most).

Another problem is that most Hot Toys collectors would rather spend $200 each on 7,000 different Iron Man or Batman figures. As a full line of Hot Toys figures, WATCHMEN never really stood a chance in this market. :(

I'm also super bummed we didn't get a Nite Owl or Dr. Manhattan figure. Hot Toys would have delivered some definitive collectibles with those. Oh, and a Hot Toys rep told me at SDCC a couple of years ago that the plan was to make the Dr. Manhattan figure "anatomically correct", something an American toy company would never even dream of doing.

Back to hoping the Square Enix PlayArts Kai Rorschach is a smashing success!

My personal interwebz:
Facebook (regular Carl™)