WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:47 am 
...you're locked in here with me!

t3cii wrote:
xMaliciousMal wrote:
So what's the likelihood these prequels will be leveraged into a prequel film of they're even moderately successful?

If a prequel film is ever made, I'd like to see it tackled by several different directors, and preferably, different actors.

How would it be is my biggest concern, I don't think they would make six prequel movies based on the six prequel comics.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:30 pm 
Tired of Earth.

feliciano182 wrote:
t3cii wrote:
xMaliciousMal wrote:
So what's the likelihood these prequels will be leveraged into a prequel film of they're even moderately successful?

If a prequel film is ever made, I'd like to see it tackled by several different directors, and preferably, different actors.

How would it be is my biggest concern, I don't think they would make six prequel movies based on the six prequel comics.

how about an anthology movie?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:51 pm 

WJK wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:
t3cii wrote:
xMaliciousMal wrote:

How so ?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:10 pm 
Tired of Earth.

feliciano182 wrote:
WJK wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:
t3cii wrote:
xMaliciousMal wrote:

How so ?

well, you could have them tie in by ending at the crimebusters meeting.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:40 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

I WOULD FUCKING LOVE A PREQUEL MOVIE!!!

Just a matter of time, I suppose...

Get it? ...

..... *crickets*

"What happened to the American dream? It came true! Your lookin' at it."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:06 pm 
Labored long to build a heaven.

Nemesis x88 wrote:

Get it? ...

..... *crickets*

Hahahahaha

Lame jokes. Truly you are one of us.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:23 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

feliciano182 wrote:
t3cii wrote:
xMaliciousMal wrote:

I don't mean six individual movies, I mean one movie, but six individual stories. Kind of like Sin City, which was comprised of several different stories, loosely tied together.

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:24 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Depending on how long the stories are, that could work. Probably wouldn't for Minutemen, though, considering that takes place in a whole 'nother time period.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:34 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Probably wouldn't for Minutemen, though, considering that takes place in a whole 'nother time period.

I'm not sure that would matter. The movies would be connected through themes and the world of Watchmen.

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:22 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Godziller66 wrote:
Nemesis x88 wrote:

Get it? ...

..... *crickets*

Hahahahaha

Lame jokes. Truly you are one of us.

Haha! Awesome! I'm makin' myself heard here lol.

"What happened to the American dream? It came true! Your lookin' at it."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:23 am 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Depending on how long the stories are, that could work. Probably wouldn't for Minutemen, though, considering that takes place in a whole 'nother time period.

why not? there were several distinct time periods in Watchmen, that didn't stop them making it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:31 am 
Alien Squid Monster

xMaliciousMal wrote:

I think the first film being unsuccessful will put a stop to that. Just because a comic sells really well doesn't immediately mean an adaptation is warranted? (does it? :oops: ). The flick only earned 50 million after it's budget in the box office (not accounting DVD/Blu ray sales). I mean yeah, it made money. But apparently producers considered Superman Returns to have a lackluster peformance and rebooted that after it made nearly 200 million after it's budget. But then again I'm not an executive so I wouldn't know.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:59 am 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

ViolentNewCountry wrote:
xMaliciousMal wrote:

I think the first film being unsuccessful will put a stop to that. Just because a comic sells really well doesn't immediately mean an adaptation is warranted? (does it? :oops: ). The flick only earned 50 million after it's budget in the box office (not accounting DVD/Blu ray sales). I mean yeah, it made money. But apparently producers considered Superman Returns to have a lackluster peformance and rebooted that after it made nearly 200 million after it's budget. But then again I'm not an executive so I wouldn't know.

the thing is box office returns are a gross figure, before the theatre's cut is taken away, then you'd get a net figure, but then cost of marketing has to be taken into account, I heard that a good way to estimate marketing costs is about half again of the movie's budget, Watchmen cost $130m so we could estimate that they put $65m into marketing, so that gives us $195m, Watchmen only grossed $185m worldwide, the studio only earns on average 55% of that apparently, and then about $50m on DVD/BD (plus about 4m for TOTBF) still significantly less than $195m, so it's safe to say the movie lost a lot of money, even thinking about selling TV rights, and merchandise, it might get close to making it's money back, but it'll take a long time.

actually in researching these figures I found this interesting io9 article about movie gross http://io9.com/5747305/how-much-money-d ... profitable

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:17 am 
Alien Squid Monster

ViolentNewCountry wrote:
xMaliciousMal wrote:

the thing is box office returns are a gross figure, before the theatre's cut is taken away, then you'd get a net figure, but then cost of marketing has to be taken into account, I heard that a good way to estimate marketing costs is about half again of the movie's budget, Watchmen cost $130m so we could estimate that they put $65m into marketing, so that gives us $195m, Watchmen only grossed $185m worldwide, the studio only earns on average 55% of that apparently, and then about $50m on DVD/BD (plus about 4m for TOTBF) still significantly less than $195m, so it's safe to say the movie lost a lot of money, even thinking about selling TV rights, and merchandise, it might get close to making it's money back, but it'll take a long time.

actually in researching these figures I found this interesting io9 article about movie gross http://io9.com/5747305/how-much-money-d ... profitable

Interesting! I guess that would also help reinforce the idea of why Superman Returns is considered a real disappointment.

I don't know whether or not I should feel guilty but as much as I love Watchmen as a love, I'm kinda glad it didn't become a hit. As much as I want success for Snyder, the cast and crew, and for the public to discover and enjoy the movie I was afraid that if it was to be a hit that they would try and find a way to milk it with sequels or god forbid, prequels :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:32 am 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

Watchmen wasn't made to make money.
The big studios rely on the income of blockbusters, but the demand for movies far exceeds the number of these massive productions they can put out. For various reasons it's necessary to produce a large number of smaller films, of which some are potential sleeper hits, while others are made without any comparable care for the income they bring in, but which support the overall system nonetheless (e.g. they might be vehicles for new stars, cultural projects, etc).
"I'm a producer! It's my job to lose money..."
Watchmen was an extremely rare instance of one of the latter type films being given the budget of a moderately large blockbuster.
By and large Hollywood has avoided this since the late 70s, when the likes of Apocalypse Now spiralled out of control and Heaven's Gate actually destroyed its studio.
(For Hollywood's supposed obsession with profits, if nothing else we should be glad to see a film like Watchmen get made.)

Now, the reason it's necessary to establish this is that prequels and sequels are of course moneymakers, and as safe a kind as you get. So for a Watchmen prequel to be put into production, it would require a fundamental shift in production type. This is all the more unlikely since, as AvatarIII points out, the film didn't profit at the box office. That's not to say the takings were a disappointment - I don't think they were (it certainly wasn't a "flop"!!) and the film's done very healthy business on home video - but it very much reinforces what people already knew about the property's suitability as a moneymaker.

Another Watchmen film in the next 20 years? Not going to happen. I'd bet my DG Bernie sketch on it. After that a remake is perhaps possible if the film has by that point become a true cult classic, but even then I'd say it's unlikely.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:49 pm 

AYBGerrardo wrote:
Watchmen wasn't made to make money.

So what your saying is that WB gave a comic property based on a massively well selling graphic novel to a hot director who has produced some big blockbusters... then hype the hell out of it to try and make people think it's the hybrid of 300 and The Dark Knight (both money makers) as well as producing all sorts of tie in merchandise... but they weren't trying to make money?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:36 pm 

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
So what your saying is that WB gave a comic property based on a massively well selling graphic novel to a hot director who has produced some big blockbusters... then hype the hell out of it to try and make people think it's the hybrid of 300 and The Dark Knight (both money makers) as well as producing all sorts of tie in merchandise... but they weren't trying to make money?

You don't have to take anything at face value, AYB was most likely trying to make impact with his initial comment, but his point is still sound.

He probably should've said "Watchmen's biggest priority wasn't to make money".

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:03 pm 

feliciano182 wrote:
He probably should've said "Watchmen's biggest priority wasn't to make money".

Okay, I could probably agree with this. Just his inital comment seems odd when it was obvious that WB wanted a blockbuster... but didn't get one.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:32 pm 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

Actually, that's the exact way it was put to me by one of the filmmakers so...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:49 pm 

AYBGerrardo wrote:
Actually, that's the exact way it was put to me by one of the filmmakers so...

It's Larry Fong that's the other half of your wonder twin unit, correct?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next