WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:21 am 
...you're locked in here with me!

boom! We now have official dates and the like

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:34 pm 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

Quote:
"Oh sweetie, you're too young to hate. Wait until you're older and the world gives you a good reason. Trust me, it won't let you down."

Oh god.

If terrible nods to future events is all we get out of these comics...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:50 am 
New Frontiersman

Look! Up in the sky! A big steaming pile of shit will soon be landing on the heads of comic readers!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:01 am 
Labored long to build a heaven.

AYBGerrardo wrote:
Quote:
"Oh sweetie, you're too young to hate. Wait until you're older and the world gives you a good reason. Trust me, it won't let you down."

Oh god.

Nods to future events? Can we really call it that when it's such a vague statement?

Mr. Ex wrote:
Look! Up in the sky! A big steaming pile of shit will soon be landing on the heads of comic readers!

We get it, man, you hate these comics.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:56 am 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

Godziller66 wrote:
AYBGerrardo wrote:
Quote:

Oh god.

Nods to future events? Can we really call it that when it's such a vague statement?

Yes.
It's a neat device in giving the character and reader an understanding that the protagonist does not possess, except for the fact that it's fucking retarded.
Clearly Sally Jupiter was deliberately dropping hints all the time in the hope that her daughter would figure it out.
She says herself, page 29 of the last chapter, "I never wanted you to know".

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:03 am 
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.

Mr. Ex wrote:

I hope that these are awesome just so your obnoxiousness gets drowned out by other people's praise of the books.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:14 am 
Labored long to build a heaven.

AYBGerrardo wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:
AYBGerrardo wrote:
Quote:

Oh god.

Yes.
It's a neat device in giving the character and reader an understanding that the protagonist does not possess, except for the fact that it's fucking retarded.
Clearly Sally Jupiter was deliberately dropping hints all the time in the hope that her daughter would figure it out.
She says herself, page 29 of the last chapter, "I never wanted you to know".

I wasn't under the impression that that's supposed to convey she knows Laurie'll find out about her father being the Comedian, but that it was just meant to be a philosophical statement about the world in general.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:59 am 

Godziller66 wrote:
I wasn't under the impression that that's supposed to convey she knows Laurie'll find out about her father being the Comedian, but that it was just meant to be a philosophical statement about the world in general.

Still, it seems cheap that they're building on the events of the novel to have any sort of impact.

Imagine one of the characters in the Rorschach mini telling Rorschach:

"They day you decided not to compromise, the day you decide not to give in, that will be the day of your downfall".

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:48 am 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

feliciano182 wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:

Still, it seems cheap that they're building on the events of the novel to have any sort of impact.

Imagine one of the characters in the Rorschach mini telling Rorschach:

"They day you decided not to compromise, the day you decide not to give in, that will be the day of your downfall".

well Watchmen establishes the fact that time does not exist as we perceive it, as well as establishing that psychics exist, so it would not be against per-established laws within the Watchmen universe.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:15 am 
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.

Tyger, Tyger/burning bright, In the forests/of the night, What immortal hand or eye/Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:01 am 

well Watchmen establishes the fact that time does not exist as we perceive it, as well as establishing that psychics exist, so it would not be against per-established laws within the Watchmen universe.

Sure, but those things only fly for Manhattan, not for everyone else.

And personally, I thought the whole psychic thing was an elaborate justification for how a gigantic squid can be created.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:05 am 

feliciano182 wrote:

No those things still occur for everybody, but Manhattan can see it. Imagine the comic was a puppet show, just for the sake of metaphor, all the characters are puppets (even Doc). The difference is that Manhattan is a puppet that can see the strings.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:10 am 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:

No those things still occur for everybody, but Manhattan can see it. Imagine the comic was a puppet show, just for the sake of metaphor, all the characters are puppets (even Doc). The difference is that Manhattan is a puppet that can see the strings.

exactly, and DM can see the strings perfectly, so it's possible that some humans, if in possession of extrasensory abilities, could possibly see them to a lesser degree, probably enough of a degree to make vague premonitions.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:28 pm 

exactly, and DM can see the strings perfectly, so it's possible that some humans, if in possession of extrasensory abilities, could possibly see them to a lesser degree, probably enough of a degree to make vague premonitions.

I can maybe agree with this, but for characters to seem like they are conscious of those abilities sounds a little dumb to me, specially characters like Sally (if it's her who said those lines).

I've dealt with this idea before when Moore said it in his documentary, about describing time not as a long line, but "as a football", it's very interesting, but when applied to these prequels, it seems like they are just trying to exploit dramatic payoff for something they didn't write.

If there's anything I'd like from the prequels, it's for them to stand on their own two feet.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:53 pm 

feliciano182 wrote:
If there's anything I'd like from the prequels, it's for them to stand on their own two feet.

I think we might be getting a little defensive here, it's one line of dialogue in a solicit, it's unfair to judge several mini series on one line of dialogue.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:02 pm 

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
I think we might be getting a little defensive here, it's one line of dialogue in a solicit, it's unfair to judge several mini series on one line of dialogue.

*sigh*

Voicing expectations and concerns about a possible issue =/= Reacting deffensively + Judging the novels before release.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:48 pm 

feliciano182 wrote:
Voicing expectations and concerns about a possible issue =/= Reacting deffensively + Judging the novels before release.

I think some people here are doing a little more than just voicing a concern. Primarily AYB calling this fucking retarded and talking about how that's all we'll get, and, considering that we don't even know who said the dialogue or what it's about, I really feel like that was an over reaction.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:28 pm 
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:

I think some people here are doing a little more than just voicing a concern. Primarily AYB calling this fucking retarded and talking about how that's all we'll get, and, considering that we don't even know who said the dialogue or what it's about, I really feel like that was an over reaction.

i totally agree. Though I can see how some people would be super cautious.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:12 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

http://media.comicbookmovie.com/images/ ... 027605.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:03 pm 
New Frontiersman

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/04/12/so-will-before-watchmen-actually-be-like/

Yup, what I figured. Which is why I won't get within 100 feet of this garbage.

Everyone involved here is going to show Alan Moore how to do these characters by "making them their own". Yeah, right.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next