WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:57 pm 
I DID IT!

Sites like iFanboy, CBR, and Newsarama have their noses so far up DC's and Marvel's asses it's not even funny. Go onto comic book forums of sites that aren't driven by agendas that cowtow to the Big 2 and you'll see that BEFORE WATCHMEN's reception is middling, at best. Which I'd say is more accurate. It's a solid "meh" creatively. And that's just because of the outstanding art. With some slight exceptions the writing was :lol:

My personal interwebz:
Facebook (regular Carl™)
Twitter (caffeinated Carl™)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:01 am 
The Watcher

Comedian Carl wrote:
Sites like iFanboy, CBR, and Newsarama have their noses so far up DC's and Marvel's asses it's not even funny. Go onto comic book forums of sites that aren't driven by agendas that cowtow to the Big 2 and you'll see that BEFORE WATCHMEN's reception is middling, at best. Which I'd say is more accurate. It's a solid "meh" creatively. And that's just because of the outstanding art. With some slight exceptions the writing was :lol:

QFT

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:08 am 
Alien Squid Monster

I'm surprised not to find more comment on this forum by this time. Most of the series have finished by now. I've been buying them all, but haven't really been enjoying them except Minutemen, Nite Owl, and Silk Spectre, and even those were at best merely OK with occasional nice touches. They all started stronger than they finished, in my view. I have actively disliked Comedian (I graded the first issue an F and it's gotten worse and worse), Ozymandias and Dollar Bill seemed to just retread what was already established or alluded to in the original GN, not much that was new in the way of story, Dr. manhattan began well but then petered out, the Crimson Corsair hasn't said anything and I barely even noticed when it stopped appearing as a backup feature, Moloch was OK if you wanted that sort of book; and Rorschach was pretty much a predictable disappointment from the get-go, and like the Comedian, it seemed to get worse as it went on and the conclusion was just more of the same, pointless violence and non-canonical intrusions. I think Azzarello is a hugely overrated writer, judging from his scripting on these books; can't say I'm familiar with his other work but I have read the hype about his stuff and it doesn't work for me. Anyone can write brutal fight scenes and sadistic gloating.

If I come away from a Before Watchmen title thinking, "II could have written better than that," I'd judge the book a failure. And so far, that's been my reaction to almost all of them. I won't be buying any further editions of these and I certainly hope DC will let this whole endeavor lapse now. I do look forward to hearing what dave Gibbons might want to say about them once they've truly finished. I would think he is not too pleased. Moore is unlikely to sound off any further to any degree, but he hasn't missed anything by staying away from these. I will try to forget I ever read them when I reread the GN.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:35 pm 
Labored long to build a heaven.

I think the thing I hate most is the Crimson Corsair.

I mean, seriously, fuck that thing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:09 am 
Tired of Earth.

For Christmas, my parents went and got me the first issue of every story in BW. I still haven't gotten around to reading them, mostly because I've been busy with a thousand other things, and I'd rather do any one of them than read a single fucking page.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:32 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

I think I give Before Watchmen an overall grade of C. When it was good, it was among the best stuff coming out, when it was bad... it was fucking shit. I liked a lot of it, but I wish that everyone would have cared as much as Darwyn Cooke. JMS and Brian Azzerello were both putting out crap, but Cooke, Conner, and (at times) Wein put out good stuff.

I'm kind of glad it's over though, at $4 an issue, this will ease my comics budget quite a bit.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:57 pm 
Labored long to build a heaven.

Did I mention I hate Crimson Corsair?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:00 am 
Alien Squid Monster

Yes, I believe I recall that comment...

Crimson Corsair really seems like the biggest stretch of them all. The whole pirate comic metatext was just to function as a counterpoint theme to the central narrative, a Greek chorus of outside comment and allusion. It was not a character or a recurring plotline. It does not stand alone apart from the book. Why on earth would anyone think it could be resurrected in any meaningful way? That would be like, I dunno, creating a spinoff of a poem by snipping out some words and rearranging them, expecting them to make sense. Or basing a sequel to a novel on its indicia or index. (Not that novels have indexes -- I'm struggling to find the right comparison.) CC was just an element of Watchmen and you can't remove it from the main body to serve some other purpose.

I don't know what DC was thinking, if anything, except dollars in the bank.

I think there was a chance to just maybe produce some interesting and purposeful stories set in the Watchmen world, but these series' didn't do that for me. Unfortunately, the next time it could be even worse. Now these issues stand as a creaky foundation for the second wave of revisionism.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:05 am 
...you're locked in here with me!

piper909 wrote:
I'm struggling to find the right comparison

The novels Don Quixote read between each of his adventures ?

Best one I could think of.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:43 am 
A brother to dragons.

piper909 wrote:
I don't know what DC was thinking, if anything, except dollars in the bank.

It sounds like you have a pretty good handle on exactly what DC was thinking.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:35 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

The Comedian ones were pretty fuckin' terrible, aswell the Rorschach ones. Only other ones I read were the first of every other and the Minutemen, which was alright but it made Hooded Justice to be the villain which was pretty fucking retarded.

"What happened to the American dream? It came true! Your lookin' at it."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:32 am 
So impotent.

I agree. I had an open mind when I heard about the Before Watchmen project, so I bought all the Nite Owl and Rorschach issues, and to be honest the stories have a fanfiction feel to them. There’s just nothing great about them except, of course, the art.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15