WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:55 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Personally, I try to stay out of this argument precisely because I don't want to bother reading them.

I respect that. I have read every single Before Watchmen issue and have enjoyed several of them and quite a few are among the best of the weeks they come out. Outside of our community they have actually been receiving a fair amount of praise, but the people who aren't even reading them are trashing them quite hard.

I still stand by my statement that most of you don't like Before Watchmen because you went in thinking about how "blasphemous" they are and there was never a chance you'd actually like them. It's basically what Feli accused me of doing with The Dark Knight Rises, reviewing them before you viewed them.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:05 pm 

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
I still stand by my statement that most of you don't like Before Watchmen because you went in thinking about how "blasphemous" they are and there was never a chance you'd actually like them. It's basically what Feli accused me of doing with The Dark Knight Rises, reviewing them before you viewed them.

Yeah...........no :lol:

Obviously, everyone here is a big boy and can defend themselves quite easily, but as far as I can recall, everyone was pretty excited at the proposal of reading Before Watchmen, Godziller said he didn't care about the controversy, and both WJK and Avatar were looking forward, the only ones who were spitting venom here were me and Writer Of Wrongs, again, as far as I can recall.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:07 pm 

feliciano182 wrote:
Obviously, everyone here is a big boy and can defend themselves quite easily, but as far as I can recall, everyone was pretty excited at the proposal of reading Before Watchmen, Godziller said he didn't care about the controversy, and both WJK and Avatar were looking forward, the only ones who were spitting venom here were me and Writer Of Wrongs, again, as far as I can recall.

And DDC...

And AYB before he left...

You can't change history, these prequels were not warmly received here.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:15 pm 

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
And DDC...

You can't change history, these prequels were not warmly received here.

Uhm, none of us have read those, nor have we formed any kind of opinions, we certainly don't have written reviews about them as well.

Whoever is saying the comics sucked, it's most likely the people who did read them.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:25 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:

I thought he was willing to check them out?

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:41 pm 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

feliciano182 wrote:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:

Yeah...........no :lol:

I'm not sure I'd say I was looking forward to them, I just was going to give then the benefit of the doubt, and was hopeful that they could be good. I haven't even read any if then yet.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:43 pm 

I'm not sure I'd say I was looking forward to them, I just was going to give then the benefit of the doubt, and was hopeful that they could be good. I haven't even read any if then yet.

SILENCE FOOL ! U WERE EXCITED !

8-)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:47 pm 
Labored long to build a heaven.

t3cii wrote:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:

I thought he was willing to check them out?

He was for awhile, but then he did a complete 180 right before they were released, I believe.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:04 pm 

Guys, stop remembering things, it gets in the way of Feli's argument.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:42 pm 
The Watcher

I never spit venom at these before they came out. I was cautiously optimistic. Then I read a handful of first issues and decided they, for the most part, sucked.

And, from what I've read in these forums, it seems the general consensus is...

1. Nice covers!
2. Once in a while there is a halfway decent issue.

Doesn't sound like it's going particularly well.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:37 pm 
Tired of Earth.

i was excited about them? i'm pretty sure i was lukewarm about them, but willing to give them a chance.

i enjoyed a few issues, but they didn't have the grasp to keep me interested in them.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:52 pm 

DoomsdayClock wrote:
And, from what I've read in these forums, it seems the general consensus is...

1. Nice covers!
2. Once in a while there is a halfway decent issue.

Doesn't sound like it's going particularly well.

Outside of these forums though they average good scores on iFanboy and have even earned some "Pick of the Week" awards over stalwart series.

SERIOUSLY GUYS!!!! Stop beng able to remember a few months back, it's making Feli's argument unfounded!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:58 pm 

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
SERIOUSLY GUYS!!!! Stop beng able to remember a few months back, it's making Feli's argument unfounded!!!!

"People who read it think it sucks" is unfounded ?

Sure, I didn't "get" the moods accurately, but I'm pretty sure people here, in the WCM, and most likely everyone outside it, were optimistic about finding something worth reading in the prequels, and from what I can gather, mixed reactions were the result from such readings, how is that unfounded ?

Also, speaking from the heart here: With the creative teams these books had, it's pretty fair to say that anything less than "excellent" was going to be considered a complete dissapointment.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:35 pm 

feliciano182 wrote:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:

"People who read it think it sucks" is unfounded ?

Sure, I didn't "get" the moods accurately, but I'm pretty sure people here, in the WCM, and most likely everyone outside it, were optimistic about finding something worth reading in the prequels, and from what I can gather, mixed reactions were the result from such readings, how is that unfounded ?

Also, speaking from the heart here: With the creative teams these books had, it's pretty fair to say that anything less than "excellent" was going to be considered a complete dissapointment.

Yeah, I think it speaks volumes that all of the creative teams on these are amazing and yet even this type of top tier talent doesn't know what to do with most of these titles. Minutemen's been relatively solid considering and I'm still reading Rorschach, but that's it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:08 pm 

feliciano182 wrote:

Outside of our boards though, reactions are actually more towards positive, from what I've seen.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:25 pm 
The Watcher

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:

Outside of our boards though, reactions are actually more towards positive, from what I've seen.

Understood. I'm sure DC is happy about that, but at the risk of sounding like an asshole, I don't care what average people think.

Average people read the National Enquirer
Average people enjoy watching The Real Housewives and Jersey Shore.
Average people enjoy reading the Twilight books.

I care about what serious Watchmen fans think of these books. And from what I've read and heard, their reaction has been extremely lackluster - and I agree with the consensus of real fans.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:15 am 

If my calculations are correct, there are only a few issues left.

The Comedian has one left, Dr.M has one left, and Ozymandias has one left, the rest are all done.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:14 am 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:

The Comedian has one left, Dr.M has one left, and Ozymandias has one left, the rest are all done.

didn't Dollar Bill like just start? or is it only a single issue?

edit: yeah it's only a one shot

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:56 am 

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:

Rorschach #4's not out yet.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:34 pm 

Godziller66 wrote:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:

Rorschach #4's not out yet.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. NO II had so much Rorschach that I got confused.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next