WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Nite Owl II Returns
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:52 am 
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Apples and oranges, Smutty.

Sandman is very much an open-ended story. It literally spans all of space and all of time, in addition to an endless amount of pocket dimensions and supernatural lands. The scope of the Sandman universe is quite literally infinite. As such, it would be perfectly easy for some other writer to come up with new characters or new locations, and even the established cast is enormous. Yes, there's a canon to be heeded and a timeline that has to stay intact, but the rules are admittedly rather loose, and the timeline has a shit-ton of holes for other writers to come in and fill as they see fit.

By contrast, the scope of Watchmen is very finite. We know exactly where it begins (the introduction of Hooded Justice in the late '30s) and we know exactly where it ends ("I leave it entirely in your hands," at the end of 1985). That's a fifty-year timeline that's been heavily documented through flashbacks, "Under the Hood" excerpts, and other assorted information in the source text. There are a few characters that could use more development (mostly the old villains), and the timeline does have a few holes, but the wiggle room afforded is absolutely tiny by comparison.

Sense. You're making it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:26 am 
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.

NiteOwl wrote:
Curiosity Inc. wrote:

Sandman is very much an open-ended story. It literally spans all of space and all of time, in addition to an endless amount of pocket dimensions and supernatural lands. The scope of the Sandman universe is quite literally infinite. As such, it would be perfectly easy for some other writer to come up with new characters or new locations, and even the established cast is enormous. Yes, there's a canon to be heeded and a timeline that has to stay intact, but the rules are admittedly rather loose, and the timeline has a shit-ton of holes for other writers to come in and fill as they see fit.

By contrast, the scope of Watchmen is very finite. We know exactly where it begins (the introduction of Hooded Justice in the late '30s) and we know exactly where it ends ("I leave it entirely in your hands," at the end of 1985). That's a fifty-year timeline that's been heavily documented through flashbacks, "Under the Hood" excerpts, and other assorted information in the source text. There are a few characters that could use more development (mostly the old villains), and the timeline does have a few holes, but the wiggle room afforded is absolutely tiny by comparison.

Sense. You're making it.

YOU TREACHEROUS FOOL!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:39 pm 
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.

Smutty wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:
Curiosity Inc. wrote:

Sense. You're making it.

YOU TREACHEROUS FOOL!
lol I'm simply saying his reply is way more thought out than just a fit of DC hate on Moore's behalf.
And he does make sense... lol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:11 pm 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

Chip Zdarsky spills the cold beans on being approached to write a Watchmen 2 title...
http://www.warrenellis.com/?p=13655

Post subject: Bum Deal
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:12 pm 
New Frontiersman

Now THAT'S what I call an asshole!

Post subject: Re: Bum Deal
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:21 pm 
The Watcher

Writer Of Wrongs wrote:
Now THAT'S what I call an asshole!

"We're all puppets, Laurie. You're just a puppet who can see my brown eye."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:55 pm 
New Frontiersman

Its atomic structure is a perfect grid, like a checker board.
An intricately structured jewel that humans insist on viewing one edge at a time, when the whole design is visible in every facet.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:09 pm 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

Goats see it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:33 pm 
New Frontiersman

It stretches more than three thousand miles, so that one end knows day while the other endures night.
Temperature differences breed shrieking winds that herd oceans of fog along a canyon four miles deep.
Does the human heart know chasms so abysmal?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:52 pm 
Tired of Earth.

I couldn't even get to the Watchmen pitch, this article was so unfunny and masturbatory.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:43 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
I couldn't even get to the Watchmen pitch, this article was so unfunny and masturbatory.

It seems like a troll article more than anything else, unless he's just covering his Watchmen 2 ideas (that may have been taken up by DC). If that's the case, shit.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:18 am 
The Watcher

WJK wrote:
Curiosity Inc. wrote:

It seems like a troll article more than anything else, unless he's just covering his Watchmen 2 ideas (that may have been taken up by DC). If that's the case, shit.

Uhh... It's just a joke. It's funny. You guys can be so dry sometimes!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:33 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

Curiosity Inc. wrote:

I agree, I understand that the writer was going for humor... but attempt does not equal sucess...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7