WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum


Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Nite Owl II Returns
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:52 am 
Offline
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:26 pm
Posts: 5380
Location: Knee Deep in the Dead
Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Apples and oranges, Smutty.

Sandman is very much an open-ended story. It literally spans all of space and all of time, in addition to an endless amount of pocket dimensions and supernatural lands. The scope of the Sandman universe is quite literally infinite. As such, it would be perfectly easy for some other writer to come up with new characters or new locations, and even the established cast is enormous. Yes, there's a canon to be heeded and a timeline that has to stay intact, but the rules are admittedly rather loose, and the timeline has a shit-ton of holes for other writers to come in and fill as they see fit.

By contrast, the scope of Watchmen is very finite. We know exactly where it begins (the introduction of Hooded Justice in the late '30s) and we know exactly where it ends ("I leave it entirely in your hands," at the end of 1985). That's a fifty-year timeline that's been heavily documented through flashbacks, "Under the Hood" excerpts, and other assorted information in the source text. There are a few characters that could use more development (mostly the old villains), and the timeline does have a few holes, but the wiggle room afforded is absolutely tiny by comparison.

Sense. You're making it.

_________________
My Blog of Movie Reviews and Such
Image
I'll be right back. I gotta go see a man about a mule.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nite Owl II Returns
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:26 am 
Offline
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:29 am
Posts: 4978
NiteOwl wrote:
Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Apples and oranges, Smutty.

Sandman is very much an open-ended story. It literally spans all of space and all of time, in addition to an endless amount of pocket dimensions and supernatural lands. The scope of the Sandman universe is quite literally infinite. As such, it would be perfectly easy for some other writer to come up with new characters or new locations, and even the established cast is enormous. Yes, there's a canon to be heeded and a timeline that has to stay intact, but the rules are admittedly rather loose, and the timeline has a shit-ton of holes for other writers to come in and fill as they see fit.

By contrast, the scope of Watchmen is very finite. We know exactly where it begins (the introduction of Hooded Justice in the late '30s) and we know exactly where it ends ("I leave it entirely in your hands," at the end of 1985). That's a fifty-year timeline that's been heavily documented through flashbacks, "Under the Hood" excerpts, and other assorted information in the source text. There are a few characters that could use more development (mostly the old villains), and the timeline does have a few holes, but the wiggle room afforded is absolutely tiny by comparison.

Sense. You're making it.


YOU TREACHEROUS FOOL!

_________________
Say, Doc, did I ever tell you I'm the only metal that's liquid at room temperature?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nite Owl II Returns
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:39 pm 
Offline
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:26 pm
Posts: 5380
Location: Knee Deep in the Dead
Smutty wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:
Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Apples and oranges, Smutty.

Sandman is very much an open-ended story. It literally spans all of space and all of time, in addition to an endless amount of pocket dimensions and supernatural lands. The scope of the Sandman universe is quite literally infinite. As such, it would be perfectly easy for some other writer to come up with new characters or new locations, and even the established cast is enormous. Yes, there's a canon to be heeded and a timeline that has to stay intact, but the rules are admittedly rather loose, and the timeline has a shit-ton of holes for other writers to come in and fill as they see fit.

By contrast, the scope of Watchmen is very finite. We know exactly where it begins (the introduction of Hooded Justice in the late '30s) and we know exactly where it ends ("I leave it entirely in your hands," at the end of 1985). That's a fifty-year timeline that's been heavily documented through flashbacks, "Under the Hood" excerpts, and other assorted information in the source text. There are a few characters that could use more development (mostly the old villains), and the timeline does have a few holes, but the wiggle room afforded is absolutely tiny by comparison.

Sense. You're making it.


YOU TREACHEROUS FOOL!
lol I'm simply saying his reply is way more thought out than just a fit of DC hate on Moore's behalf.
And he does make sense... lol

_________________
My Blog of Movie Reviews and Such
Image
I'll be right back. I gotta go see a man about a mule.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nite Owl II Returns
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:11 pm 
Offline
…a puppet who can see the strings.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:42 pm
Posts: 8538
Location: A stronger world
Chip Zdarsky spills the cold beans on being approached to write a Watchmen 2 title...
http://www.warrenellis.com/?p=13655

_________________
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
it was tying it into the rape-revenge stories and making light of a verys erious sub-genre that kind of offended me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Bum Deal
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:12 pm 
Offline
New Frontiersman
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:26 pm
Posts: 317
Now THAT'S what I call an asshole!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Bum Deal
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:21 pm 
Offline
The Watcher
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:58 am
Posts: 3650
Location: New York
Writer Of Wrongs wrote:
Now THAT'S what I call an asshole!

"We're all puppets, Laurie. You're just a puppet who can see my brown eye."

_________________
Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music - George Carlin


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:55 pm 
Offline
New Frontiersman
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:26 pm
Posts: 317
Its atomic structure is a perfect grid, like a checker board.
An intricately structured jewel that humans insist on viewing one edge at a time, when the whole design is visible in every facet.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nite Owl II Returns
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:09 pm 
Offline
…a puppet who can see the strings.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:42 pm
Posts: 8538
Location: A stronger world
Goats see it.

_________________
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
it was tying it into the rape-revenge stories and making light of a verys erious sub-genre that kind of offended me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:33 pm 
Offline
New Frontiersman
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:26 pm
Posts: 317
It stretches more than three thousand miles, so that one end knows day while the other endures night.
Temperature differences breed shrieking winds that herd oceans of fog along a canyon four miles deep.
Does the human heart know chasms so abysmal?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nite Owl II Returns
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:52 pm 
Offline
Tired of Earth.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:01 am
Posts: 8035
Location: Clackamas, OR
I couldn't even get to the Watchmen pitch, this article was so unfunny and masturbatory.

_________________
This is truly a madhouse. And I'm the lunatic running it. I've spent three years wondering if I should be proud or ashamed.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nite Owl II Returns
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:43 pm 
Offline
Tired of Earth.
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:19 pm
Posts: 8131
Location: 1060 W. Addison St.
Curiosity Inc. wrote:
I couldn't even get to the Watchmen pitch, this article was so unfunny and masturbatory.



It seems like a troll article more than anything else, unless he's just covering his Watchmen 2 ideas (that may have been taken up by DC). If that's the case, shit.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nite Owl II Returns
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:18 am 
Offline
The Watcher
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:58 am
Posts: 3650
Location: New York
WJK wrote:
Curiosity Inc. wrote:
I couldn't even get to the Watchmen pitch, this article was so unfunny and masturbatory.



It seems like a troll article more than anything else, unless he's just covering his Watchmen 2 ideas (that may have been taken up by DC). If that's the case, shit.

Uhh... It's just a joke. It's funny. You guys can be so dry sometimes!

_________________
Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music - George Carlin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nite Owl II Returns
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:33 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
Curiosity Inc. wrote:
I couldn't even get to the Watchmen pitch, this article was so unfunny and masturbatory.


I agree, I understand that the writer was going for humor... but attempt does not equal sucess...

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.098s | 11 Queries | GZIP : Off ]