WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Nite Owl II Returns
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:17 am 
Labored long to build a heaven.

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:
I liked The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. ;)

Well, I didn't use something like that seeing as how that whole trilogy is highly regarded, where as my examples were series with a highly valued entry... and a super crappy entry

I know, I was just jabbing people *cough* Smutty who don't support the theory that it's a prequel.

Hence the winky face.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:47 am 
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.

Godziller66 wrote:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:
I liked The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. ;)

Well, I didn't use something like that seeing as how that whole trilogy is highly regarded, where as my examples were series with a highly valued entry... and a super crappy entry

I know, I was just jabbing people *cough* Smutty who don't support the theory that it's a prequel.

Hence the winky face.

What the fuck are you talking about? I haven't even posted in this thread.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:40 am 
The Watcher

The funny thing about the Star Wars prequels is that the genius behind the original trilogy is the same asshole who created the shitty ass prequels. It makes the whole situation that more offensive.

What would be worse would be if Alan Moore agreed to write the prequels and then they turned out to be shit.

At least with someone else mucking about inside his work, he has nothing to do with it. Which is why I would guess Gibbons and Higgins may want to carefully distance themselves from projects like this. They have little to gain and much to loose from their involvement.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:05 pm 
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.

DoomsdayClock wrote:
The funny thing about the Star Wars prequels is that the genius behind the original trilogy is the same asshole who created the shitty ass prequels. It makes the whole situation that more offensive.

What would be worse would be if Alan Moore agreed to write the prequels and then they turned out to be shit.

At least with someone else mucking about inside his work, he has nothing to do with it. Which is why I would guess Gibbons and Higgins may want to carefully distance themselves from projects like this. They have little to gain and much to loose from their involvement.

But Lucas didn't direct Empire' or Jedi'.
He directed all three of the prequels.

I'll be right back. I gotta go see a man about a mule.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:45 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

NiteOwl wrote:
But Lucas didn't direct Empire' or Jedi'.
He directed all three of the prequels.

But he still wrote them and was a producer

DoomsdayClock wrote:

I actually hadn't thought like that... all my examples are of same person fucking up their own story... hmmmmmm....

Smutty wrote:

Oh snap son, you done got burned!

Post subject: Legally Conned
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:25 pm 
New Frontiersman

AYBGerrardo wrote:
Follow the white rabbit.

The link, that is.

Signature at the end of the CaD is:

AMY E. GENKINS
Senior Vice President, Business & Legal Affairs

Well, if nothing else, at least we now at long last have an answer to the burning question of WHO WATCHES THE WATCHMEN?

Clearly, it's DC Legal. Even on Christmas Day.

Oh, and look, on the inside ISBN/copyright acknowledgment page of my 2008 hardcover edition of WATCHMEN... there's Amy Genkins's name in print, preserved for posterity. Wouldn't it be funny (peculiar, not ha ha) if, in years to come, her name continues to appear therein yet Alan Moore goes and insists upon his being removed from the work in its entirety? Hurm.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:02 am 
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Smutty wrote:

It wasn't meant to be a burn, it's an outburst of confusion.
What is wrong with you people?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:13 am 

Smutty wrote:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Smutty wrote:

It wasn't meant to be a burn,

Okay time to spell it out, my sarcastic remark was targeted at Godziller for "taking a shot" at you... and I was asserting your confusion was just as a result of how badly you got burned... but the sarcasm was because Ziller's initial "burn" wasn't that serious

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:16 am 

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Smutty wrote:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Smutty wrote:

It wasn't meant to be a burn,

Okay time to spell it out, my sarcastic remark was targeted at Godziller for "taking a shot" at you... and I was asserting your confusion was just as a result of how badly you got burned... but the sarcasm was because Ziller's initial "burn" wasn't that serious

Okay, first of all, it did look like it was directed at Smutty because you quoted him. But anyway, I wasn't actually taking a shot at him, it's perfectly valid to think TGTBTU isn't a prequel.

I was just poking fun, which admittedly, was pretty stupid considering A) He hasn't posted in this thread. And when I realized that, I laughed like a lunatic. And B) It's in reference to a conversation we probably had a year ago.

So yeah, carry on your business.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:20 am 

Godziller66 wrote:
Okay, first of all, it did look like it was directed at Smutty because you quoted him. But anyway, I wasn't actually taking a shot at him, it's perfectly valid to think TGTBTU isn't a prequel.

I was just poking fun, which admittedly, was pretty stupid considering A) He hasn't posted in this thread. And when I realized that, I laughed like a lunatic. And B) It's in reference to a conversation we probably had a year ago.

Yeah... I knew that (other than the conversation a year ago) hence my use of sarcasm and air quotes whenever saing you were taking a shot at him... I know it wasn't aggresive.

Furthermore... I also doubt that TGTBATU is a prequel.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:29 am 

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:

Yeah... I knew that (other than the conversation a year ago) hence my use of sarcasm and air quotes whenever saing you were taking a shot at him... I know it wasn't aggresive.

Furthermore... I also doubt that TGTBATU is a prequel.

I love how we always take, like, one page per thread clearing up confusion about something that was said or done.

I'll take the credit for this one.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:15 am 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

TGTBATU, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, OR the secret 4th Millenium movie, The Girl That Bought a Tiny Unicorn? :?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:16 am 

TGTBATU, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, OR the secret 4th Millenium movie, The Girl That Bought a Tiny Unicorn? :?

I'd watch that.

Post subject: Squidling Rivalry
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:45 pm 
New Frontiersman

Tgtbatu? Isn't that Cthulhu's sister?

Post subject: Re: Squidling Rivalry
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:08 pm 
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.

Writer Of Wrongs wrote:
Tgtbatu? Isn't that Cthulhu's sister?

LOL funniest shit I've seen/read all day!
CLASSIC.

I'll be right back. I gotta go see a man about a mule.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:37 pm 
New Frontiersman

DoomsdayClock wrote:
Well, I see nothing wrong with these illustrations. They are very true to character - no "re-imagining."

Happy New Year...?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:07 pm 

Writer Of Wrongs wrote:
DoomsdayClock wrote:
Well, I see nothing wrong with these illustrations. They are very true to character - no "re-imagining."

Happy New Year...?

Seeing as how that's no really an official image and the artist in question has had no official tie to the project... no need to panic yet

Post subject: Panic Alarm
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:58 pm 
New Frontiersman

Well, the alleged super sneaky codename being used by DC for this entire project is 'Panic Room', after all.

If... IF... there's any truth in this latest example of rumour mongering, just a quick observation on what we've seen of this latest incarnation of Silk Spectre II, with specific regard to the discarded, era defining hippie paraphernalia deliberately depicted at her feet:

San Francisco’s famous Fillmore Auditorium club, the focal point of the growing hippie counter culture, first opened its doors in December 1965.
Impresario owner Bill Graham began to commission the legendary psychedelic posters to promote the concerts he was putting on at the venue in January 1966. These were created by several New Age artists, including Rick Griffin who also produced the cover for The Grateful Dead’s 1969 palindromic titled album Aoxomoxoa… a poster for which just happens to appear on an apartment wall in WATCHMEN at V.7.6 (and whose skull and crossbones design bears an uncanny resemblance to a certain Rum Runner logo).

Laurie attended the first - and last - meeting of The Crimebusters in April 1966 at age sixteen (having been born in 1949, she had clearly yet to reach her seventeenth birthday that year). The presence of what is clearly intended to be a Fillmore poster laying on the ground in this latest alleged Conner drawing therefore serves to fix this depiction of the character within a very specific timeframe, i.e. somewhere during only those few months between January-April '66. During this brief period and before attending that fateful meeting, Laurie (or, more specifically, her mother) obviously decided to completely overhaul her costume and adopt the style we’re all much more familiar with as depicted throughout WATCHMEN.

And come to think of it: just how much action would the sixteen year old Laurie have seen in those few short months anyway? Just how much hippie bashing could she have concievably accomplished... and why?

Even the standard stock-in-trade explantion doesn't cut it here, i.e. that the timelines between the worlds of WATCHMEN and our own are skewed with historical and cultural events taking place at different times in each. There's no evidence whatsoever presented in WATCHMEN to suggest that the hippie movement, with its psychedelic poster art, anti-war protests and peace symbolism, drugs use, love beads etc., took off any earlier than it did in reality. In actual fact, at that Crimebusters meeting of April 1966, Cap. Metropolis proudly presents his diagrammatic board to the group and talks about what he perceives to be the "New social evils (which) emerge every day: promiscuity, drugs, campus subversion"... namely, all of those aspects of the burgeoning hippie movement beginning to gather pace at the exact same historically accurate time as they did for real.

Moore and Gibbons were really rather good at peppering WATCHMEN with little details like this, all of which were fastidiuosly researched for accuracy and meaningful relevance. If the new creators intend to follow suit by throwing in similar nuggets, then let's hope they're up to the job of it all making coherent sense... rather than instead making apparently sloppy goofs all for the sake of presenting something that is merely perceived to look 'cool'.

Last edited by Writer Of Wrongs on Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:44 pm 
Tired of Earth.

I could list all the ways that I don't like this costume, but I think I should only have to point to the smiley face earring. Why the hell is that there?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:57 pm 

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
I could list all the ways that I don't like this costume, but I think I should only have to point to the smiley face earring. Why the hell is that there?

Wow, didn't notice it before, it's still a nice touch though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next