WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Costume Party
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:56 pm 
New Frontiersman

We absolutely do not know how far along or from whereabouts on the development line this illustration comes from, or even how - or even if - it'll actually feature in the finished prequel universe at all.

As far as the possibility of it being a case of Laurie wearing a transitional costume whilst she finalises a look, it's certainly a very plausible and logical explantion, but please indulge me as I put the following notions out there as nothing more than a point for further, welcome discussion (not a rant, nor a rampage... but it is unashamedly geeky, for which I make no apologies whatsover!)

I've always over the years interpreted the character of Laurel Jane Juspeczyk as being one who has never been in control of her own life and has always desperately sought her own identity and place in the world as a result (much in keeping with one of the central themes at the heart of WATCHMEN). From her conception, her mother has shaped and stage managed her entire life in minutiae, with Sally moulding her daughter into a duplicate of herself in order to prolong her own fading glory days... creating her very own sequel, if you will. In later years, Laurie simply ended up quite literally living in the shadow of Manhattan and was cast into the background.

To this end, it would very likely have been Sally herself who designed the costume we're used to seeing on Laurie, based upon her own notions of what was 'sexy' stemming from a middle-aged mother's 'understanding' of late '60s fashions.

Now, there's always the distinct likelihood that the prequel could very well present us with a young Laurie who, in an act of teenage rebellion, independently decides to run up her own hipper threads according to her own tastes but who is ultimately overridden by mummy dearest and forced into donning the traditional garb. I doubt very much that Laurie would have personally chosen to ditch the trendy costume of the illustration and move on to the traditional outfit we see throughout WATCHMEN; we know from the way she describes the latter to Dan in the opening chapter that she detested that look.

This in itself then raises the question of just how young the Laurie of the prequel will be? We know that at age sixteen in early 1966, she was at that Crimebusters meeting sporting her usual attire, having then jettisoned this alternative version if indeed the prequel creators intend to put her in it beforehand. We see a thirteen year old Laurie working out and weight training in WATCHMEN, honing her skills at her mother's insistence, so will she be portrayed of similar age in a prequel, I wonder?

Overall, if we do indeed end up finding out that this new imagining of Silk Spectre II is in fact not just a case of teenage experimentation but rather is actually intended to present us with a sleeker, more flatteringly provocative costume for the character, then to my mind this only serves to go against the established satirical grain of WATCHMEN, i.e. that real people with anatomically accurate bodies (as opposed to stylized cartoon figures) actually tend to look fairly ridiculous and profoundly awkward and ill at ease in traditional 'superhero' costumes... never more so, in fact, than in the case of Laurel Jane Juspeczyk, who never really wanted to enter that life anyway and glady put away her costume in the bottom drawer and turned her back on crimefighting come the advent of the Keene Act.

This is the true deconstruction of WATCHMEN at work when it comes to the subject of 'superhero' costumes; that they're pretty dumb.

Post subject: Re: Thesis Faeces
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:31 pm 
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.

Writer Of Wrongs wrote:
"Over analyzing every little scrutinous detail"

...which is prohibited in the forum rules where, exactly?

Analysing (over, under and every which bloody way!) the details of WATCHMEN is where the fun's at... it's where the devil is, after all.

I'm sure a simple "The smiley earring doesn't make sense..." would not have sufficed for others and (I certainly like to think)would have rightly prompted an inquisitive "Why?" or "Please elaborate" from at least some quarter of this forum. If not... then what's the point of it?

Do you not care for those damned thesis-length Alan Moore interviews either? Wordy fucker, ain't he?

lol you're so defensive.
I'm just saying I don't think theres even a whole lot to analyze at this point.
Thats all.
But I suppose in the end, I would rather read those thesis papers than just a bunch of single sentence answers.
I'm definitely more of a spectator in this thread then.

Post subject: A Brother To Owls
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:20 pm 
New Frontiersman

NiteOwl wrote:
lol you're so defensive.
I'm just saying I don't think theres even a whole lot to analyze at this point.
Thats all.
But I suppose in the end, I would rather read those thesis papers than just a bunch of single sentence answers.
I'm definitely more of a spectator in this thread then.

Honestly, do you want to know what it is... where I'm coming from?

If absolutely nothing else, then disclosure of these prequels has at long last succeeded in generating some impassioned discussion on the subject of WATCHMEN comics... the medium in which it was always intended to exist and the one in which it continues to dominate to this day.

lt is largely for this reason that I had no particular interest whatsoever in debating the movie adaptation and since that came and went, WATCHMEN talk in general both at this forum and others has been pretty slow to nonexistent these past few years.
I guess I'm just relishing in the opportunity to be able to geek out on the subject once more and yes, in all likelihood, a tad too enthusiastically into the bargain.

Because the habits of twenty-five years are hard to break, believe me.

Discussing the content of and analyzing WATCHMEN comics that haven't even seen print yet, with all of the speculation, conjecture and yes, jumping to conclusions that goes with it, takes me to right back to my teenage days of enthusiastically debating every conceivable aspect of each forthcoming installment of the original mini-series run on the early fanboy bulletin boards of the '80s. Just imagine the kind of 'thesis writing' that went on back then, over the course of fourteen loooong months whilst the comics were slowly being drip-fed to us slavering geeks issue by issue... you young 'uns out there ain't seen nuthin'!

Like the poster reads: Nostalgia. Oh, how the ghost of you clings...

But if you and others here are willing to carry on reading my current ramblings, then I'm happy to carry on writing.
Yet a one-way exchange is no fun at all; please, don't just spectate. Participate!

Post subject: Re: Costume Party
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:31 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

Writer Of Wrongs wrote:
To this end, it would very likely have been Sally herself who designed the costume we're used to seeing on Laurie, based upon her own notions of what was 'sexy' stemming from a middle-aged mother's 'understanding' of late '60s fashions.

I think this could be a very real scenario. Then after Laurie gets home Sally and her get in a huge fight, and she kind of resigns into wearing the costume we're used to.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:11 pm 

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Writer Of Wrongs wrote:

I think this could be a very real scenario. Then after Laurie gets home Sally and her get in a huge fight, and she kind of resigns into wearing the costume we're used to.

Sense. You're making it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:21 pm 

NiteOwl wrote:
Sense. You're making it.

Impossible.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:45 pm 

NiteOwl wrote:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Writer Of Wrongs wrote:

Sense. You're making it.

Ass. You're kissing it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:04 am 

feliciano182 wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Writer Of Wrongs wrote:

Sense. You're making it.

Ass. You're kissing it.

How come everytime I agree with Doc B, ya'll say I'm ass kissing?

I'm just basically saying that what he said made alot of sense.

ass kissing would be:
"omg Dr.B you always make so much sense!"

I didnt do that. There have even been times I outright get into fights with the Doc.
Remember that "batman not looking like a bat" fiasco?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:29 am 

NiteOwl wrote:
How come everytime I agree with Doc B, ya'll say I'm ass kissing?

I'm just basically saying that what he said made alot of sense.

ass kissing would be:
"omg Dr.B you always make so much sense!"

I didnt do that. There have even been times I outright get into fights with the Doc.
Remember that "batman not looking like a bat" fiasco?

you probably just don't understand the situation ;)

Post subject: Re: Nite Owl II Returns
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:31 am 
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.

yeah Dr.B's right.

Post subject: Buildin' Bridges
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:32 am 
New Frontiersman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:39 pm 

Writer Of Wrongs wrote:

Hmmmmmmm.... this could be viewed as a compliment, or an insult... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:41 pm 
The Watcher

I enjoy the speculation. Keep it up.

I think they key component here is how much the prequel creators care about "canon" so to speak and if they will take the time to really look at the "whys" of the original comic series.

I agree that there is not much else we can really learn about these characters from the prequels, but if the care is taken not to play with the "whys" they could be interesting stories at least.

My guess is anyone associated with this will not like having their hands tied and will certainly take liberties - some we can overlook, and some we won't be able to stomach at all.

This happened with the J.J. Abrams Trek re-boot. Abrams basically shit on canon completely so he could make whatever movie he wanted. We end up with a reboot that has very little to do with the real Star Trek universe, its moods and it's morality.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:50 pm 

DoomsdayClock wrote:
This happened with the J.J. Abrams Trek re-boot. Abrams basically shit on canon completely so he could make whatever movie he wanted. We end up with a reboot that has very little to do with the real Star Trek universe, its moods and it's morality.

And a sinking feeling just went into my stomach... we know that these will be prequelish right and that's pretty much it? Has anyone considered the possibility that we'll be seeing the 53rd comic of the DCnU? I know it's a long shot, but could any costume redesgn be inspired by the redisigning of most the major costumes?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:35 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Well, J.J. Abrams actually created a whole new timeline to screw around with in whatever way he wanted, but that's a whole hornet's nest I'd rather not get into here.

The important thing is that Watchmen already has a timeline and it is non-negotiable. As far as the prequel writers should be concerned, the events depicted in the graphic novel should be considered holy text.

I honestly don't care what the writers and artists do in between the events of the original GN, just so long as they double- and triple-check to make sure that there isn't a single minute detail that contradicts the source text in any way, shape, or form.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:50 pm 
The Watcher

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Well, J.J. Abrams actually created a whole new timeline to screw around with in whatever way he wanted, but that's a whole hornet's nest I'd rather not get into here.

The important thing is that Watchmen already has a timeline and it is non-negotiable. As far as the prequel writers should be concerned, the events depicted in the graphic novel should be considered holy text.

I honestly don't care what the writers and artists do in between the events of the original GN, just so long as they double- and triple-check to make sure that there isn't a single minute detail that contradicts the source text in any way, shape, or form.

But that's "hard work." And not exactly liberating to the artists involved in these prequels. Do we honestly believe they would sign on to do this with their hands tied so tightly? I can't see that being the case. Even if they say that they will be uber-faithful - trying and actually succeeding are two different things.

From WOW's posts we can already see how easy it is to get a year or some other detail a little wrong which like a rock in a pond leads to more ripples of change.

I'd like to be proven wrong, but I doubt those involved will read the original five times, do meticulous historical research, and cross reference it all with the subtle nuances and metaphors woven throughout the original narrative before the commit the image or thought to their new pages.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:56 pm 
New Frontiersman

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
And a sinking feeling just went into my stomach... we know that these will be prequelish right and that's pretty much it? Has anyone considered the possibility that we'll be seeing the 53rd comic of the DCnU?

This.

Hokey-jokey fan art aside, ***CONCLUSION JUMP ALERT*** check out this recent observation put up over at Bleeding Cool. Hurm.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:31 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Hmm, I was expecting a bit more redesign of the costume. A mix between the GN and the movie, maybe...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:35 pm 

Writer Of Wrongs wrote:
Hokey-jokey fan art aside, ***CONCLUSION JUMP ALERT*** check out this recent observation put up over at Bleeding Cool. Hurm.

Comicsfan101 (a guy on the BC forums) wrote:
Or it's just subliminal advertising or someone planting an Easter egg for a laugh. If the project is titled "panic room" - and even that, only as an in-house "code word" type title - it wouldn't make much sense for someone in that world to wear a "panic room" shirt and have that mean that he, as a character, was consciously referencing that project. Unless you were being very, very meta. It would be like someone in 100 Bullets wearing a "100 Bullets" shirt and saying that he referred to the book.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:42 am 
Nothing ever ends.

feliciano182 wrote:
NiteOwl wrote:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Writer Of Wrongs wrote:

Sense. You're making it.

Ass. You're kissing it.

Bahaha! Goodnight, folks!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next