WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum


Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:36 pm 
Offline
The Watcher
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:58 am
Posts: 3650
Location: New York
No surprises here, but DC doesn't give a shit about this site and it's fans.

Since this site debuted, I've been trying to make contact with DC Comics and DC Direct to simply get on their press list so I can receive press releases, artwork, photos, or anything else that they share freely with the media. I've been ignored at almost every turn. I've emailed DC and DC Direct several times, reached out to Dave Gibbons and John Higgins (who also spoke to DC on my behalf the few times they ignored me). No response, no emails, no phone calls. Nothing.

Christ, when DC Direct refused to send me samples of their movie merch, TFAW.com sent me some freebies.

Warner Bros., Zack Snyder, Dave Gibbons, John Higgins and many others tied to the movie have always been helpful, gracious, kind and incredibly supportive of the site.

DC, however, could give a fuck.

I don't know why they don't care, but soon, I'm not going to care anymore, which is a shame especially for the loyal fans of this site who are interested in Before Watchmen.

It takes a lot of time, effort and energy to update this site, record and transcribe phone interviews, hunt down new interviews, scan the inter webs for any news or other reportable tidbits, go to Cons, etc.

Seriously, I'm not asking for much. First, I just want to be on the press list - get the same treatment that all other media outlets get. Second, I'd like to be considered for, and given some exclusives. Without exclusives we can't attract new fans. Third, it would be nice to get review copies and product - even stuff I can use for giveaways for contests.

Just wanted to vent here and let you guys know where my head is.

Thanks.

_________________
Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music - George Carlin


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:50 pm 
Offline
Dog Carcass in Alley
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:55 am
Posts: 6493
Location: Toronto, Ont, Canada
That sucks. If anything, they should try to reach out to sites like ours, especially considering the amount of negativity there is towards this new project. You would think we would be their target audience, but I guess not?

_________________
Image

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:26 pm 
Offline
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:26 pm
Posts: 5380
Location: Knee Deep in the Dead
t3cii wrote:
That sucks. If anything, they should try to reach out to sites like ours, especially considering the amount of negativity there is towards this new project. You would think we would be their target audience, but I guess not?

It makes sense. But they might view it as a waste of time since most likely we'll all be curious enough to buy it anyways.
Either way, flat out ignoring you isn't cool. At all.

_________________
My Blog of Movie Reviews and Such
Image
I'll be right back. I gotta go see a man about a mule.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:34 pm 
Offline
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:29 am
Posts: 4978
Well folks, how about a boycott?
Let's just dl this shit illegally.

_________________
Say, Doc, did I ever tell you I'm the only metal that's liquid at room temperature?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:02 pm 
Offline
Tired of Earth.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:01 am
Posts: 8035
Location: Clackamas, OR
Huh. And all this time, I thought that treasure trove of merch came from WB. Ah, well.

You're doing great things here, boss. Frankly, I consider it a miracle that the site and the forum have continued existing for this long. We've come this far without their support, and with the prequel comics coming out, we've got another chance to grow even stronger than ever before. If DC doesn't want to be a part of that, it's their fucking loss.

_________________
This is truly a madhouse. And I'm the lunatic running it. I've spent three years wondering if I should be proud or ashamed.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:55 pm 
Offline
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:28 pm
Posts: 2021
Location: Aotearoa
Yup., what Curi said.
It's a whole department at DC being lazy mofo's, basically. A reflection on their general corporate culture maybe?

_________________
...evidently chicken-town.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:22 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm
Posts: 10199
Mister Pain wrote:
Yup., what Curi said.
It's a whole department at DC being lazy mofo's, basically. A reflection on their general corporate culture maybe?


Which at the same time seems really weird, I tried taking Devil's Advocate here but how hard can it be to put someone on a mailing list ?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:10 pm 
Offline
Tired of Earth.
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:19 pm
Posts: 8131
Location: 1060 W. Addison St.
I bet it's because this site doesn't attract the same amount of attention as CBM or SHH


's okay, I like this site not being full of shitheads.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:43 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm
Posts: 10199
WJK wrote:
I bet it's because this site doesn't attract the same amount of attention as CBM or SHH


Still, what do they got to lose for adding another site ?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:26 am 
Offline
…a puppet who can see the strings.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:42 pm
Posts: 8538
Location: A stronger world
DDC > DC

_________________
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
it was tying it into the rape-revenge stories and making light of a verys erious sub-genre that kind of offended me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:15 am 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
Who needs them? I have been on this site everyday for the last few years and it has nothing to do with DC, it has to do with all the hard work and love you've put into making this such a great site.

I'd like to say two things:
1) Thank you for everything you've done for us, DDC.
2) Fuck You, DC.

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:24 am 
Offline
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:26 pm
Posts: 5380
Location: Knee Deep in the Dead
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Who needs them? I have been on this site everyday for the last few years and it has nothing to do with DC, it has to do with all the hard work and love you've put into making this such a great site.

I'd like to say two things:
1) Thank you for everything you've done for us, DDC.
2) Fuck You, DC.

Pure truth. I second this.

_________________
My Blog of Movie Reviews and Such
Image
I'll be right back. I gotta go see a man about a mule.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:58 am 
Offline
Government-Sponsored Weirdo
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:39 am
Posts: 7191
Location: Everywhere, Everywhen, UK.
feliciano182 wrote:
WJK wrote:
I bet it's because this site doesn't attract the same amount of attention as CBM or SHH


Still, what do they got to lose for adding another site ?


It's not even fair to compare general comic book news sites like that with a site that deals with a single property like this, which is more comparable with Batman on Film or something, but even them Batman has more comics, more movies and more fans in general.

Besides, we're not big because we don't get scoops, and we don't get scoops because we're not big? That's not really fair is it?

_________________
We're all actors, Laurie. I'm just an actor who read the script. :?
ImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:35 am 
Offline
The Watcher
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:58 am
Posts: 3650
Location: New York
AvatarIII wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:
WJK wrote:
I bet it's because this site doesn't attract the same amount of attention as CBM or SHH


Still, what do they got to lose for adding another site ?


It's not even fair to compare general comic book news sites like that with a site that deals with a single property like this, which is more comparable with Batman on Film or something, but even them Batman has more comics, more movies and more fans in general.

Besides, we're not big because we don't get scoops, and we don't get scoops because we're not big? That's not really fair is it?

That is the Catch 22. Without scoops, we can't attract more visitors.

Site traffic is actually decent. Over the past few months the main site alone pulls in an average of 500 visits a day with about 2,000 page views. I don't even track the forum because you knuckleheads blow the curve ;)

And yes. The crux of this is just "add me to the standard media mailing lists." No special treatment. That's what really grinds my gears.

_________________
Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music - George Carlin


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:37 pm 
Offline
The Watcher
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:58 am
Posts: 3650
Location: New York
Well, I just landed an exclusive interview with a comics professional that has worked on the Watchmen movie as well as with Alan Moore. Got it myself with no help from DC or anyone else. Something to look forward to in the coming weeks.

_________________
Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music - George Carlin


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:42 pm 
Offline
Labored long to build a heaven.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 12480
Location: Monster Island (Really New York)
DoomsdayClock wrote:
Well, I just landed an exclusive interview with a comics professional that has worked on the Watchmen movie as well as with Alan Moore. Got it myself with no help from DC or anyone else. Something to look forward to in the coming weeks.

Sweet. Can you drop any names?

_________________
"The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part.
Image
"There's a cello in your house now."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:23 pm 
Offline
The Watcher
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:58 am
Posts: 3650
Location: New York
Godziller66 wrote:
DoomsdayClock wrote:
Well, I just landed an exclusive interview with a comics professional that has worked on the Watchmen movie as well as with Alan Moore. Got it myself with no help from DC or anyone else. Something to look forward to in the coming weeks.

Sweet. Can you drop any names?

Isn't it more fun to guess? A couple more clues. He's worked on 2000AD as well as Captain America.

_________________
Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music - George Carlin


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:27 pm 
Offline
…a puppet who can see the strings.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:42 pm
Posts: 8538
Location: A stronger world
Dave Gibbons!

_________________
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
it was tying it into the rape-revenge stories and making light of a verys erious sub-genre that kind of offended me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:46 pm 
Offline
The Watcher
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:58 am
Posts: 3650
Location: New York
AYBGerrardo wrote:
Dave Gibbons!

No! He is a brit, but he lives in California now.

_________________
Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music - George Carlin


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:18 pm 
Offline
The Watcher
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:58 am
Posts: 3650
Location: New York
http://gizmodo.com/5890905/dcs-new-website-will-have-a-bunch-of-exclusive-before-watchmen-content/gallery/1

I'm done. Please get all of your Before Watchmen news on another website. I will not be posting anymore here or on the Facebook page. Bye bye.

_________________
Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music - George Carlin


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.098s | 11 Queries | GZIP : Off ]