WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:19 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

doomsdayclock wrote:
http://gizmodo.com/5890905/dcs-new-website-will-have-a-bunch-of-exclusive-before-watchmen-content/gallery/1

I'm done. Please get all of your Before Watchmen news on another website. I will not be posting anymore here or on the Facebook page. Bye bye.

Don't leave us! We miss you already!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:37 pm 

doomsdayclock wrote:
http://gizmodo.com/5890905/dcs-new-website-will-have-a-bunch-of-exclusive-before-watchmen-content/gallery/1

I'm done. Please get all of your Before Watchmen news on another website. I will not be posting anymore here or on the Facebook page. Bye bye.

Wooooow !!!

What is happening here :shock: ?!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:46 pm 

feliciano182 wrote:
doomsdayclock wrote:

Wooooow !!!

What is happening here :shock: ?!

Our brave and fearless leader is riding in to the sunset.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:52 pm 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

I'm actually really saddened by this, I mean, this is an exciting time for the Watchmen franchise and it would be great if this site could keep up, I guess we are just too small. And DDC is just one man.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:54 pm 
The Watcher

I'm actually really saddened by this, I mean, this is an exciting time for the Watchmen franchise and it would be great if this site could keep up, I guess we are just too small. And DDC is just one man.

Nothing to do with not having time. I've emailed and emailed and emailed DC Comics and DC Direct to be on their press lists. I've been continuously ignored. Dave Gibbons and John Higgins also reached out to them to do the same (I really appreciate the fact that they did that because they didn't have to do that for me). DC never replies to my emails and I'm still not on any press list, nor do I receive releases. When I saw that article today it showed me that I'm still not on DC's press list. Apparently I'm a pariah, so I'm finished.

The time I spend posting on this site could be spent with my family, friends, or building my business. I refuse to spend my valuable time promoting their products for free if they could give a fuck about me, this site or the fans that follow it.

So, I'm out. In fact, at this point I refuse to buy the prequels.

I'm not taking down the site, and I'll continue to post on the forum, but other than that, I'm done.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:22 pm 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

That's a real pity. I've always really enjoyed reading your articles and interviews.
Bittersweet that Uncle Dave and Uncle John tried to help to no effect.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:48 pm 
Tired of Earth.

doomsdayclock wrote:

Nothing to do with not having time. I've emailed and emailed and emailed DC Comics and DC Direct to be on their press lists. I've been continuously ignored. Dave Gibbons and John Higgins also reached out to them to do the same (I really appreciate the fact that they did that because they didn't have to do that for me). DC never replies to my emails and I'm still not on any press list, nor do I receive releases. When I saw that article today it showed me that I'm still not on DC's press list. Apparently I'm a pariah, so I'm finished.

The time I spend posting on this site could be spent with my family, friends, or building my business. I refuse to spend my valuable time promoting their products for free if they could give a fuck about me, this site or the fans that follow it.

I'm not taking down the site, and I'll continue to post on the forum, but other than that, I'm done.

Wow, down with the man!

(Also I was just gonna download the prequels anyway, I never had any intentions to contribute to them making money). Still, like AYB said, it was nice to see you throw in an article every now and then, it showed that even you, the admin, liked to jump into our shenanigans (even back when there was that good stretch of nothing 'cept us posting on the forums wondering when you would make a new article, along with that Ultimate Cut review).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:53 pm 
Tired of Earth.

I come to this forum on the third-year anniversary of Watchmen's theatrical release, and this is what I find? After everything we've done for DC, they stab us in the back like this? Good fucking God!

I mean, if DDC doesn't want to keep updating the main site or the Facebook page, that's his prerogative. So long as the site is still available as a resource for Watchmen fans, and as long as the forum is still operational, we're cool.

But now I'm torn. On the one hand, I don't want to give DC any more money after they give the finger to the internet's premier Watchmen fansite. But on the other hand, I want to stay informed on Watchmen goings-on and literate in discussions regarding the prequel. Maybe I'll read them in the bookstore without actually buying, or something like that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:05 pm 

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
But now I'm torn. On the one hand, I don't want to give DC any more money after they give the finger to the internet's premier Watchmen fansite. But on the other hand, I want to stay informed on Watchmen goings-on and literate in discussions regarding the prequel. Maybe I'll read them in the bookstore without actually buying, or something like that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:19 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Thanks for the tip, feli, but I like to think that if I should ever knowingly commit a federal crime, I'd be smart enough to never admit it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:27 pm 

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Thanks for the tip, feli, but I like to think that if I should ever knowingly commit a federal crime, I'd be smart enough to never admit it.

Unless I'm mistaken, you can only get prosecuted for uploading files.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:37 am 
Tired of Earth.

feliciano182 wrote:
Curiosity Inc. wrote:

Unless I'm mistaken, you can only get prosecuted for uploading files.

Actually, since it's copyrighted material, that's the same as stealing, since you're not paying for it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:41 am 

WJK wrote:
Actually, since it's copyrighted material, that's the same as stealing, since you're not paying for it.

I say because I once heard you can't be prosecuted (in the US) for downloading copyrighted content, only for uploading.

Also, it isn't stealing, but I admit that's an entirely different discussion altogether !

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:30 am 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

feliciano182 wrote:
WJK wrote:

I say because I once heard you can't be prosecuted (in the US) for downloading copyrighted content, only for uploading.

Also, it isn't stealing, but I admit that's an entirely different discussion altogether !

Well, they have arrested Kim Dotcom and frozen all of his assets as well as EVERYTHING uploaded to Megauploads servers, when he is patently (and very carefully) not breaking the law. Everyone who uploads or downloads from his site 'signs' a form waiving any responisbility from him. Yet the FBI has branded him the worst pirate in history... before any trial.

So obviously, as with DC Comics, assholes have a different system of codes to live by.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:41 am 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

doomsdayclock wrote:

what I mean is that DC probably don't give a shit because they see the site, see it has only one member of staff, plus one volunteer forum moderator, and a tiny amount of traffic compared with other sites, and think "this place is too small to worry or care about"

It might be worth putting a editorial on the main site, explaining that the site will no longer be posting new news though. We don't want people who don't use the forum visiting and wondering why there's no news.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:42 am 

Mister Pain wrote:
Well, they have arrested Kim Dotcom and frozen all of his assets as well as EVERYTHING uploaded to Megauploads servers, when he is patently (and very carefully) not breaking the law. Everyone who uploads or downloads from his site 'signs' a form waiving any responisbility from him. Yet the FBI has branded him the worst pirate in history... before any trial.

So obviously, as with DC Comics, assholes have a different system of codes to live by.

Justice ? Only when you fuck with rich people.

Aaaahhh ! The beauty of capitalism !

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:48 pm 
New Frontiersman

I'm confused. Reading DDC's post it seemed to me that he was stepping back from posting Before Watchmen Shit, but the reaction here is that he is stepping back from posting about WATCHMEN altogether. Which is it?

If it's the former, I'm ecstatic since the shit prequels have nothing to do with WATCHMEN and are just a desperate cash grab. If it's the latter, then that's bad news because there are still the graphic novel and movie to talk about.

I'm not surprised by DC's move or the years they've ignored this site. Folks have to realize that the Big Two are dead, finished, over. They are owned by big corporations with eyes, solely, on the bottom line. New ideas are not welcome (I've heard this from the 'inside') no matter how good they are because new ideas don't come with a built-in audience. EVERYTHING these days is a retread from the Big Two! How many Batman comics are there? How many Spider-Man titles? If you can't take a risk on something new, then rehash something with an audience. And thus, shitty prequels get the green light.

With the Big Two concerned with money and only money, smart creators are going to smaller companies. POD allows for full creativity, creative control and ownership. The Big Two's days or ripping creators off will soon be over. Suits with artists brushes in their hands. Bah! I walked away from DC and Marvel years ago and haven't missed them. There are so many great comics out there. Some are from the little guys, some are self-published -- but the POD world is where the true creativity comes from these days. The Big Two only want stuff that will garner BIG SALES!

So ignoring the work done by a grass roots site like this makes perfect sense. As the heading of this thread says: they don't give a shit about you. That is exactly right, they don't! Churn out safe material, make movie deals for the world market and rake in the money. It doesn't have to be good, it just has to be BIG! The prequels do not exist for me so no more posts here about them is music to my ears. I just hope DDC doesn't leave the site completely although I'd understand if he sticks to his decision.

It's sad that it's gotten to the point that if one wants good comics, the last places to go are Marvel and DC. Well, as long as the medium survives, that's what counts. The era of the Big Two is over.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:12 pm 
The Watcher

Mr. Ex wrote:
I'm confused. Reading DDC's post it seemed to me that he was stepping back from posting Before Watchmen Shit, but the reaction here is that he is stepping back from posting about WATCHMEN altogether. Which is it?

If it's the former, I'm ecstatic since the shit prequels have nothing to do with WATCHMEN and are just a desperate cash grab. If it's the latter, then that's bad news because there are still the graphic novel and movie to talk about.

Anything DC related I will not post - prequel, merch, original GN.

On the other hand, if it is Warner Bros, related, I would. I doubt will will see any WB related Watchmen announcements soon. But Zack Snyder, the cast and crew of the film, the WB publicity department - all of them - have been nothing but ultra-supportive and helpful to me and this site and its fans, and I truly appreciate that. I have nothing but praise for the WB.

I would say the only DC related stuff I would post is if was related to Mr. Gibbons or Mr. Higgins and they benefitted from he post. They have both been avid vocal supporters of this site and I would never sit on their news.

Let me reiterate that I did not start this website to get "free shit." The root of my problem is that fact that I can't get an ounce of respect or acknowledgment from the DC or DC Direct publicity departments. However, on the subject of "free shit" I don't think its unreasonable that if I'm promoting products that the producers of those products send me review copies. I know this is a very common practice, so it's not unreasonable.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:04 pm 
New Frontiersman

Thanks for clearing that up.

DC has only themselves to blame.

Post subject: Shit On (D)DC
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:35 am 
A brother to dragons.

DoomsdayClock wrote:

Man, this thread has it all! Disgruntled anger, frustration, resignation, and ultimate decision-making finality!

It might be worth putting a editorial on the main site, explaining that the site will no longer be posting new news though. We don't want people who don't use the forum visiting and wondering why there's no news.

Did he ever do this? I'll go check.

Nope, apparently not.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next