WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum


Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:37 am 
Offline
Dog Carcass in Alley
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:55 am
Posts: 6493
Location: Toronto, Ont, Canada
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/rorschachsrants/news/?a=56333

Quote:
“This latest news wasn’t even really a surprise. I can’t imagine that if there was anybody of even average intelligence at DC, that they wouldn’t have ever wanted to bring out a load of substandard prequels and sequels… It would seem to me that in bringing out 35 books – even if these, for some reason, sell remarkably well; even if there are some people out there who are so undiscriminating that they are going to have to collect every one of these books – even if that happens, that is not going to generate enough money to reverse the comics industry’s rapidly declining fortunes. That’s not the reason why they’re bringing these things out. I don’t think that DC are interested in comics anymore.”

“As for the readers, I have to say that if you are a reader that just wanted your favourite characters on tap forever, and never cared about the creators, then actually you’re probably not the kind of reader that I was looking for. I have a huge respect for my audience. On the occasions when I meet them, they seem, I like to think, to be intelligent and scrupulous people. If people do want to go out and buy these Watchmen prequels, they would be doing me an enormous favour if they would just stop buying my other books.“


Thoughts?

_________________
Image

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:54 am 
Offline
Alien Squid Monster
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:52 pm
Posts: 148
Well, i'm not really sure what this means. Will there not be many prequels then?

I don't really know what to think of this :?

_________________
"I will never reveal my identity. Anyone who knows me will refer to me as Hooded Justice

"What happened to the American dream? It came true! Your lookin' at it."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:07 am 
Offline
Government-Sponsored Weirdo
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:39 am
Posts: 7191
Location: Everywhere, Everywhen, UK.
I think this is classic passive-aggression, he's obviously pissed, but rather than insult anyone outright he basically says "if you buy Before Watchmen, you are not worthy enough to purchase anything I write" which is ludicrous, how does he even know that the prequels will be bad? he doesn't, he just hates them on principle. he also pints out that it's (OMG) 35 books! but that's only a drop in the ocean compared to other book series.

He should just be happy that he has created characters and a universe so beloved that almost 30 years later people still want to see these characters, that only existed in a 12 issue series, in more stuff.

he also says that DC a) aren't making the Before Watchmen books for money, and b) aren't interested in comics any more, so what is the reason they are releasing them? the only other theory would be spite. and I don't believe a company can be spiteful.

in short, he just has a bee in his bonnet.

_________________
We're all actors, Laurie. I'm just an actor who read the script. :?
ImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:11 am 
Offline
Alien Squid Monster
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:52 pm
Posts: 148
Thank you for clearing that up for me..

I wish he wasn't like this. I wish he was happy that his comics were being made like this. Why can't he be the one to write them?

_________________
"I will never reveal my identity. Anyone who knows me will refer to me as Hooded Justice

"What happened to the American dream? It came true! Your lookin' at it."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:16 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm
Posts: 10199
AvatarIII wrote:
I think this is classic passive-aggression, he's obviously pissed, but rather than insult anyone outright he basically says "if you buy Before Watchmen, you are not worthy enough to purchase anything I write" which is ludicrous, how does he even know that the prequels will be bad? he doesn't, he just hates them on principle. he also pints out that it's (OMG) 35 books! but that's only a drop in the ocean compared to other book series.


Be honest, if he had insulted anyone you'd still be having the exact same opinion of him, no merit whatsoever.

And how is it wrong to hate something in principle ? Would you wait to see (if it's ever announced) how Watchmen 2 would do ? Even if it actually was one of the worst ideas to ever be conceived in comic book history ? Some ideas are just BAD, regardless of how good the prequels are, they are still unnecessary literary masturbation.

And while I severely disagree with Moore's conception of who is and isn't worthy of reading his books, he is partially right, if all someone got out of the Watchmen books is "OH MY GAWD RORSCHACH IS AWESUM ! GIMME MOAR RORSCHACH !!!", then quite frankly you're not mature enough to read "V For Vendetta" and "From Hell".

AvatarIII wrote:
He should just be happy that he has created characters and a universe so beloved that almost 30 years later people still want to see these characters, that only existed in a 12 issue series, in more stuff.


You wouldn't be so happy if you suddenly discovered the people to whom you trusted your work with suddenly gave you a middle finger as soon as you turned your back on them, and even if he was partially responsible for that outcome, being naive doesn't take the spotlight from being an unethical businessman.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:30 pm 
Offline
Dog Carcass in Alley
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:55 am
Posts: 6493
Location: Toronto, Ont, Canada
AvatarIII wrote:
I think this is classic passive-aggression, he's obviously pissed, but rather than insult anyone outright he basically says "if you buy Before Watchmen, you are not worthy enough to purchase anything I write" which is ludicrous


That's not what he's saying. What he's saying is "If you know how I feel about DC and what they are doing with these new Watchmen stories and you still buy the comics anyway, you are not the type of person I want reading my books." That is not exactly the same thing as saying "you are not worthy enough to purchase anything I write". His main point is that a true fan of his would support him by not reading these new Watchmen stories.

_________________
Image

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:32 pm 
Offline
Tired of Earth.
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:19 pm
Posts: 8131
Location: 1060 W. Addison St.
Nemesis x88 wrote:
Thank you for clearing that up for me..

I wish he wasn't like this. I wish he was happy that his comics were being made like this. Why can't he be the one to write them?


He could be, but after DC screwed him over in royalties, he just doesn't want to have anything to do with it anymore.


Also, to Mr. Moore, you'll have to pry them from my cold, dead hands. I will never stop rereading V For Vendetta, it's just too good.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:39 pm 
Offline
New Frontiersman

Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:45 pm
Posts: 332
I read through the entire interview and agree with what Moore said. He goes on at length about a number of things.

It was sad to learn that this mess has cost him his friendship with Gibbons.

And, as I've stated before, I will not read or buy the prequels. Not because Alan Moore told me not to, but because I recognise them for what they are: a cash grab and nothing more. Or should I say, nothing Moore.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:00 pm 
Offline
Alien Squid Monster
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:52 pm
Posts: 148
Fuck. This is bullshit then.

What should I do?? Do you think he's even going to try to put his work in these?

_________________
"I will never reveal my identity. Anyone who knows me will refer to me as Hooded Justice

"What happened to the American dream? It came true! Your lookin' at it."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:48 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm
Posts: 10199
Nemesis x88 wrote:
Fuck. This is bullshit then.

What should I do?? Do you think he's even going to try to put his work in these?


Dude, don't worry.

Do what your heart and mind tell you, if you feel excited about these new releases, then go buy them and have fun with them by all means, nobody has the right to tell you what you can or can't read or even how you can spend your money.

The best thing you could probably do right now is to properly inform yourself about the "DC Comics VS. Alan Moore" situation (feel free to ask us anything you want), at least, if you feel that it is actually important to your enjoyment of the prequels, if not, then just buy them and enjoy them, you're not a bad person for doing so.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:16 pm 
Offline
Alien Squid Monster
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:52 pm
Posts: 148
feliciano182 wrote:
Nemesis x88 wrote:
Fuck. This is bullshit then.

What should I do?? Do you think he's even going to try to put his work in these?


Dude, don't worry.

Do what your heart and mind tell you, if you feel excited about these new releases, then go buy them and have fun with them by all means, nobody has the right to tell you what you can or can't read or even how you can spend your money.

The best thing you could probably do right now is to properly inform yourself about the "DC Comics VS. Alan Moore" situation (feel free to ask us anything you want), at least, if you feel that it is actually important to your enjoyment of the prequels, if not, then just buy them and enjoy them, you're not a bad person for doing so.


Thanks. I appreciate that. I'll still read them, no doubt, but do you guys think this series will be considered "Canon" or "Non-Canon" since it's not even done by Moore?

_________________
"I will never reveal my identity. Anyone who knows me will refer to me as Hooded Justice

"What happened to the American dream? It came true! Your lookin' at it."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:26 pm 
Offline
Tired of Earth.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:01 am
Posts: 8035
Location: Clackamas, OR
Nemesis x88 wrote:
Thanks. I appreciate that. I'll still read them, no doubt, but do you guys think this series will be considered "Canon" or "Non-Canon" since it's not even done by Moore?
I'm sure every fan will have their own opinion on that one. We'll just have to wait and see how closely the prequels adhere to the canon already established. Oh, and also if the prequels are going to suck.

_________________
This is truly a madhouse. And I'm the lunatic running it. I've spent three years wondering if I should be proud or ashamed.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:18 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Oh, and also if the prequels are going to suck.


Well, quality is not an indicator of Canon, i.e. Star Trek Enterprise

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:21 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm
Posts: 10199
Nemesis x88 wrote:
Thanks. I appreciate that. I'll still read them, no doubt, but do you guys think this series will be considered "Canon" or "Non-Canon" since it's not even done by Moore?


Usually I would've said "deffinitely canon", but like Curi says, it's better to wait for the reaction if one wants to truly establish if something is or isn't canon, because if it sucks, then no one will want to acknowledge it as part of the franchise.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:42 pm 
Offline
Alien Squid Monster
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:52 pm
Posts: 148
feliciano182 wrote:
Nemesis x88 wrote:
Thanks. I appreciate that. I'll still read them, no doubt, but do you guys think this series will be considered "Canon" or "Non-Canon" since it's not even done by Moore?


Usually I would've said "deffinitely canon", but like Curi says, it's better to wait for the reaction if one wants to truly establish if something is or isn't canon, because if it sucks, then no one will want to acknowledge it as part of the franchise.


Is there any chance of Moore doing anything for them?

_________________
"I will never reveal my identity. Anyone who knows me will refer to me as Hooded Justice

"What happened to the American dream? It came true! Your lookin' at it."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:44 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm
Posts: 10199
Nemesis x88 wrote:
Is there any chance of Moore doing anything for them?


None whatsoever.

Some fantastic artists and writers are tied up for those projects, but none of those is Alan Moore.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:51 pm 
Offline
Tired of Earth.
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:19 pm
Posts: 8131
Location: 1060 W. Addison St.
Nemesis x88 wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:
Nemesis x88 wrote:
Thanks. I appreciate that. I'll still read them, no doubt, but do you guys think this series will be considered "Canon" or "Non-Canon" since it's not even done by Moore?


Usually I would've said "deffinitely canon", but like Curi says, it's better to wait for the reaction if one wants to truly establish if something is or isn't canon, because if it sucks, then no one will want to acknowledge it as part of the franchise.


Is there any chance of Moore doing anything for them?


Apart from spewing his anti-DC rants, no, not really. I do suggest, if you really want more Moore, that you look into his previous works, such as Swamp Thing, V For Vendetta, etc. Just refer to this page for more info on his works.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:53 pm 
Offline
Dog Carcass in Alley
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:55 am
Posts: 6493
Location: Toronto, Ont, Canada
Mr. Ex wrote:
It was sad to learn that this mess has cost him his friendship with Gibbons.


An earlier interview with Moore, made before the prequels would be a reality, suggested their friendship was already eroding.

_________________
Image

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:56 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm
Posts: 10199
t3cii wrote:
Mr. Ex wrote:
It was sad to learn that this mess has cost him his friendship with Gibbons.


An earlier interview with Moore, made before the prequels would be a reality, suggested their friendship was already eroding.


I've no idea why this happened, Gibbons himself said Moore always told him he just didn't want to talk about Watchmen anymore, how did it come to this ?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:16 pm 
Offline
Dog Carcass in Alley
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:55 am
Posts: 6493
Location: Toronto, Ont, Canada
feliciano182 wrote:
t3cii wrote:
Mr. Ex wrote:
It was sad to learn that this mess has cost him his friendship with Gibbons.


An earlier interview with Moore, made before the prequels would be a reality, suggested their friendship was already eroding.


I've no idea why this happened, Gibbons himself said Moore always told him he just didn't want to talk about Watchmen anymore, how did it come to this ?


Well, in the interview I'm thinking of, I recall Moore mentioning that he told Gibbons he could have his share of the money he would have got from the Watchmen movie, and said something along the lines of "Just thank me when you get the money". Gibbons never did, and apparently a similar situation had happened between Moore and John Higgins, which had a negative impact on their friendship. Also, when Gibbons was asked about Moore's involvement (or lack thereof) in the Watchmen movie, I think Moore felt Gibbons didn't precisely get across just why he didn't want to be involved, and that he made it sound as if this was just a case of Moore being his old, eccentric self, as opposed to him having a legitimate problem with DC and what they were doing.

_________________
Image

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.099s | 13 Queries | GZIP : Off ]