WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:48 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

Nemesis x88 wrote:
Watchmen is the only "Comic" i've ever liked. Is that a bad thing lol?

If you're willing, we would be MORE than helpful to make you a beginner's list, I'm sure we'd have a ton of fun doing that.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:36 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

I just feel like Watchmen has a special effect for me. Its not that mainstream.

"What happened to the American dream? It came true! Your lookin' at it."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:15 pm 

Nemesis x88 wrote:

You just had to say "Yes please!" so that I could make a topic and start making that list with your fellow forumites !

BUT NOOOOOOOO !

You had to go all hipster on me ! Thank you, THANK YOU VERY MUCH !

*Does not leave angrily*

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:46 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Alright Nemesis, here's an absolute read-or-die list, as composed by me off the top of my head:

The Dark Knight Returns
Kingdom Come
V For Vendetta
Solar: "Alpha and Omega" (which was actually put up on this site by another newer member viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4138 if you want to download and read it)
A shit-ton of Batman comics, most notably The Long Halloween, Dark Victory & The Killing Joke (I'll think of more later)

IDK if you really want to get into reading more and more comics, there's a lot out there.

Also, do you prefer DC or Marvel?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:14 pm 
Labored long to build a heaven.

Nemesis x88 wrote:

As far as the comic fandom goes, it's extremely mainstream. Everyone refers to it as the Citizen Kane of graphic novels.

Though I get what you're saying. Not a lot of non-comic readers know about it like they know about Tin Tin and Spider-man and things like that, but the same probably goes for a lot of stuff we'd recommend.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:20 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

WJK wrote:
Alright Nemesis, here's an absolute read-or-die list, as composed by me off the top of my head:

The Dark Knight Returns
Kingdom Come
V For Vendetta
Solar: "Alpha and Omega" (which was actually put up on this site by another newer member viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4138 if you want to download and read it)
A shit-ton of Batman comics, most notably The Long Halloween, Dark Victory & The Killing Joke (I'll think of more later)

IDK if you really want to get into reading more and more comics, there's a lot out there.

Also, do you prefer DC or Marvel?

Erm, Really I don't know who I like more. I've seen more Marvel movies, I can say that much.

Godziller66 wrote:
Nemesis x88 wrote:

As far as the comic fandom goes, it's extremely mainstream. Everyone refers to it as the Citizen Kane of graphic novels.

Though I get what you're saying. Not a lot of non-comic readers know about it like they know about Tin Tin and Spider-man and things like that, but the same probably goes for a lot of stuff we'd recommend.

Okay. Yeah, i'll take your guises tips. I feel like Watchmen will always be my favorite though. It just.. I don't know. I guess I like it so much because I haven't read that many comics. I just <3 it lol.

Also, when is the release date for the new prequels? When I go to pick up the first issue i'll check some of these other comics out aswell.

EDIT:

LOL at feliciano, sure why not. Go ahead, I guess. lol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:23 pm 

Nemesis x88 wrote:
Okay. Yeah, i'll take your guises tips. I feel like Watchmen will always be my favorite though. It just.. I don't know. I guess I like it so much because I haven't read that many comics. I just <3 it lol.

Nah, you like it so much because it's one of the best comics ever. Don't go into rushing a bunch of comics just because we tell you to, though. But if you ever want more graphic novel-esque material like Watchmen, we've got tips. I didn't really get into comics until I read Watchmen a few years ago myself.

Nemesis x88 wrote:
Also, when is the release date for the new prequels? When I go to pick up the first issue i'll check some of these other comics out aswell.

They start to come out in June.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:27 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Godziller66 wrote:
Nemesis x88 wrote:

Nah, you like it so much because it's one of the best comics ever. Don't go into rushing a bunch of comics just because we tell you to, though. But if you ever want more graphic novel-esque material like Watchmen, we've got tips. I didn't really get into comics until I read Watchmen a few years ago myself.

Nemesis x88 wrote:

They start to come out in June.

Wow, sweet. I'm glad I decided to read Watchmen firstly then. btw I finished Rorschach's chapter, and that was very different from the movie. It goes more in depth with him. I think the movie kind of made it look like Rorschach wasn't a human being almost, but in the novel it shows exactly why he acts this way. I really like this so far.. I'm really anxious to find out about the ending and the squid.

Can't wait for these, actually. I will take peoples opinions into account, but I'm very excited for these even if DC is making them. If they are a success, we could possibly see more and more of them being made. I'm very happy I decided to rent the movie on Zune about a month ago. Brought me back to why I loved it. I don't really think many of you are too excited based on what you've been writing in this thread, but i'm pissing in my pants lol.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:11 am 
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.

feliciano182 wrote:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
But to non comic fans they are all just graphic novels.

And I don't know what the hell is Smutty on, unreleased comics are still comics :lol: !

Reread my post when you're not drunk.

Quote:
Nemesis x88 wrote:

HAHAHAHAHA.
Dude, it's pretty much the only comic series that pretty much every comic reader has read, and it's the only comic series that people who don't usually read comics have read.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:32 am 
Nothing ever ends.

feliciano182 wrote:
Nemesis x88 wrote:

If you're willing, we would be MORE than helpful to make you a beginner's list, I'm sure we'd have a ton of fun doing that.

I admit that when it comes to comics I find myself only able to read the TPB or graphic novels as well. I love epic storytelling in any medium, but the notion of collecting issue after issue... I'm not a conical collector - I would throw them away when done (like all my buffy comics). But but having them collected in a bound form usually assures me that 1 - I'm reading an entire story arc and not possibly wasting my time on BS one-dimensional offs and 2 - it can go on my bookshelf.

Watchmen, v for vendetta, runaways, the the dark knight returns, the contract with god etc... I swear if they hadn't been in "GN" form I would not have invested time in reading them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:07 am 

xMaliciousMal wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:
Nemesis x88 wrote:

I admit that when it comes to comics I find myself only able to read the TPB or graphic novels as well. I love epic storytelling in any medium, but the notion of collecting issue after issue... I'm not a conical collector - I would throw them away when done (like all my buffy comics). But but having them collected in a bound form usually assures me that 1 - I'm reading an entire story arc and not possibly wasting my time on BS one-dimensional offs and 2 - it can go on my bookshelf.

Watchmen, v for vendetta, runaways, the the dark knight returns, the contract with god etc... I swear if they hadn't been in "GN" form I would not have invested time in reading them.

Kinda why I think comics should change their release structure, month by month is just too fucking much, in my opinion at least.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:58 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Smutty wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
But to non comic fans they are all just graphic novels.

And I don't know what the hell is Smutty on, unreleased comics are still comics :lol: !

Reread my post when you're not drunk.

Quote:
Nemesis x88 wrote:

HAHAHAHAHA.
Dude, it's pretty much the only comic series that pretty much every comic reader has read, and it's the only comic series that people who don't usually read comics have read.

Gosh, sorry.. :mrgreen: I still love it. Oh well. I was wrong lol.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:44 pm 

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2012/04/09 ... p-solicits

I'm happy with most of the dialogue snippets thus far.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:05 pm 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

I'm unhappy with most of the dialogue snippets thus far.
Too obvious, too forced, too "clever".

All but convinced I won't be reading these, inasmuch as they look poor as much as anything.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:17 pm 

AYBGerrardo wrote:
I'm unhappy with most of the dialogue snippets thus far.
Too obvious, too forced, too "clever".

I kind of think the obviousness shows that the writers are getting the characters. Besides, these are just solicit dialogue so they want to pick a quote that will be very distinct and resonate. Would you be happier if the sample dialogue was something like "Sally, could you be a dear and hand your mother her coat?" I'm sure there will be "unobvious" and "unclever" dialogue like that in these issues, but there do need to be some "zinger" lines.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:09 pm 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

Bad dialogue is bad dialogue.
This is very silly:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
I kind of think the obviousness shows that the writers are getting the characters.

If anything it shows they are "getting" them on surface level and nothing more.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:20 pm 

Cover to issue 2 of the Minutemen series.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:48 pm 

AYBGerrardo wrote:
Bad dialogue is bad dialogue.
This is very silly:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
I kind of think the obviousness shows that the writers are getting the characters.

If anything it shows they are "getting" them on surface level and nothing more.

The dialogue is only obvious to you because you've read Watchmen probably more than 10 times (I don't know how many times you've read it). There is no surprise to you, you know the story so well any knods will seem like a neon sign as opposed to a wink.

Godziller66 wrote:
Cover to issue 2 of the Minutemen series.

... I can't wait for this series.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:02 am 
Tired of Earth.

Maybe this isn't what AYB means to say, but my impression of the dialogue snippets is that the writers are trying to emulate Alan Moore. And inevitably, they're failing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:07 am 

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Maybe this isn't what AYB means to say, but my impression of the dialogue snippets is that the writers are trying to emulate Alan Moore. And inevitably, they're failing.

Eh, I think we'll need more before we can say they are just aping Moore.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next