WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:36 pm 
Government-Sponsored Weirdo

Godziller66 wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:
it's over $90 I'm jealous if you get presents that big for your birthday as an adult.

Poor Avatar, nobody loves him.

8-)

If his fiancée loved him, she'd like Akira.

That's what I think.

Or if she didn't love me, she wouldn't have sat through Akira for me. :ugeek:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:43 pm 
Labored long to build a heaven.

Godziller66 wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:
it's over $90 I'm jealous if you get presents that big for your birthday as an adult.

Poor Avatar, nobody loves him.

8-)

If his fiancée loved him, she'd like Akira.

That's what I think.

Or if she didn't love me, she wouldn't have sat through Akira for me. :ugeek:

Nah, I like mine better. I'm no psychologist, but I have three-quarters of a sociology degree and that's good enough.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:39 pm 
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.

Nemesis x88 wrote:
So, do you guys recommend I buy each issue individually? Like, each set?

Nah, we were talking about something else, but I would say that you should get the issues instead of the tpbs, because DC is notorious for having a terrible TPB system

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:46 pm 
Nothing ever ends.

Smutty wrote:
Nemesis x88 wrote:

Nah, we were talking about something else, but I would say that you should get the issues instead of the tpbs, because DC is notorious for having a terrible TPB system

By terrible, do you mean we'll be waiting a really long time? Because I was planning to do the same. If that's not going to work out, I'll have to go to TFAW and set up a schedule to have them sent to me.

BTW do you guys know if they're running in individual concurrent series per character, or will month 1 be "episode one" of Nite Owl I, for example, and month 2 be "episode one" of Silk Spectre I's story?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:48 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Smutty wrote:
DC were planning on doing all new-52 books in one big collection

I was actually wondering, does anyone here know anybody who was a big enough moron to buy this when it came out?

My friends and family, no doubt. I'd stake my wallet that I'll be getting at least one of these for my birthday.

Apologies. For some reason, I thought we were talking about issues of Before Watchmen.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:17 pm 

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Smutty wrote:
DC were planning on doing all new-52 books in one big collection

I was actually wondering, does anyone here know anybody who was a big enough moron to buy this when it came out?

My friends and family, no doubt. I'd stake my wallet that I'll be getting at least one of these for my birthday.

Apologies. For some reason, I thought we were talking about issues of Before Watchmen.

Nope, just follow the quotes.

xMaliciousMal wrote:
Smutty wrote:
Nemesis x88 wrote:

By terrible, do you mean we'll be waiting a really long time? Because I was planning to do the same. If that's not going to work out, I'll have to go to TFAW and set up a schedule to have them sent to me.

BTW do you guys know if they're running in individual concurrent series per character, or will month 1 be "episode one" of Nite Owl I, for example, and month 2 be "episode one" of Silk Spectre I's story?

Yeah, DC is known for making people wait up to even three years for trades.
Regarding the issues, there's about two issues coming out each week.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:05 am 
...you're locked in here with me!

Smutty wrote:

Yeah,a nd they look even worse when compared to Marvel which is all over that kind of stuff (i.e. Fear Itself is already completely collected in trades and on shelves)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:57 am 

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Smutty wrote:

Yeah,a nd they look even worse when compared to Marvel which is all over that kind of stuff (i.e. Fear Itself is already completely collected in trades and on shelves)

yeah marvel release TPBs and HCs like clockwork, DC only seem to do it if there is demand for it, then they only print a limited run and the reprint it a few years later, but i have no doubt, Before watchmen WILL be collected eventually, since most people that have read Watchmen read it in trade form, and many of those people aren't regular comic readers.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:17 am 

most people that have read Watchmen read it in trade form, and many of those people aren't regular comic readers.

Definitely don't quite agree with this at all.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:08 am 

Smutty wrote:
most people that have read Watchmen read it in trade form, and many of those people aren't regular comic readers.

Definitely don't quite agree with this at all.

which bit
most people that have read Watchmen read it in trade form, (which I don't think can be denied, since even on this forum most of us are too young to have bought it in issue format, and Watchmen is one of, if not the best selling collected comic/TPB in the world)
or
and many of those people aren't regular comic readers.

which again cannot be denied imho, and many does not mean most, a top comic book sells 100 - 200k issues a month, Watchmen sol 95k copies in just 2007*, and has been selling as a TPB since 1987, Watchmen was also the best selling TPB in both 2008 and 2009** (but not in 2007) so you could probably say that Watchmen has sold 300k copies in just 2007-2009 alone, so even if you were to say "only 500k people in the US have ever read watchmen," which would be a conservative estimate, you could probably only say 400k people in the US are regular comic book readers, and that would be a generous estimate, even assuming that every regular co0mic book reader has read Watchmen, that still leaves over 100k people who have read watchmen but aren't regular comic book readers.

source* - http://cinerati.blogspot.co.uk/2007/12/ ... detta.html
source** http://www.comichron.com/vitalstatistic ... yyear.html

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:18 pm 
Tired of Earth.

^Amazon sold over 1m copies of the tpb in a month.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:05 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Can someone tell me what a tpb is?

"What happened to the American dream? It came true! Your lookin' at it."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:08 pm 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

Trade Paperback

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:23 pm 

WJK wrote:
^Amazon sold over 1m copies of the tpb in a month.

Well that just super proves my point.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:55 pm 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

I started reading Watchmen after picking up the first two months of issues and collected them from then on. This was after an article about the renaissance in the comics industry thanks to the influx of a few brave young-guns such as Alan Moore and Frank Miller. Until then I had never heard of these guys. I understand that Moore has a medal for bearing grudges. His pride hangs around his neck for the world to see. Normally, this sort of thing wouldn't be an issue, because the comics world is rife with people cashing in on ideas based upon other people's hard work. However, when someone stands up to perceived greed and is vocal about their stance, then wounded pride takes over and the boat starts to rock.

I am flabbergasted over news of extra Watchmen stories NOT penned or condoned by Alan Moore! What the hell are they thinking? Reminds me of that awful Gone with the wind sequel that was written a few years ago. WTF?

This isn't Star Wars or Star Trek. This isn't Batman or Captain America. Watchmen is a meta-document of our relationship with the super-hero. The story spans over a good deal of the 20th century and I don't ever come away from the book with a feeling of what happened there or then. It is a self-contained epos that is special because there are no loose ends to tie up. If there were serious problems with the story that needed several other stories to map out the scene before the gutter badge then we wouldn't be here in the first place.

/Soup

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:10 pm 

Nemesis x88 wrote:

Comic book fans tend to only use the term Graphic Novel for previously unreleased material. Collections of already previously released issues are usually referred to as Trade PaperBacks, which is basically just a term for a book that's a different size to normal books.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:30 pm 

Smutty wrote:
Nemesis x88 wrote:

Comic book fans tend to only use the term Graphic Novel for previously unreleased material. Collections of already previously released issues are usually referred to as Trade PaperBacks, which is basically just a term for a book that's a different size to normal books.

But to non comic fans they are all just graphic novels.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:48 pm 

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
But to non comic fans they are all just graphic novels.

I think it's the other way, comic fans tend to call comics as "graphic novels" simply to incite more respect for the medium, which is bullshit in my opinion. As for non comic fans, I've heard some even refering to comics as "cartoons".

And I don't know what the hell is Smutty on, unreleased comics are still comics :lol: !

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:27 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Watchmen is the only "Comic" i've ever liked. Is that a bad thing lol?

"What happened to the American dream? It came true! Your lookin' at it."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:31 pm 
Labored long to build a heaven.

Nemesis x88 wrote:
Watchmen is the only "Comic" i've ever liked. Is that a bad thing lol?

Just means you haven't read enough comics.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next