WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Minutemen
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:31 pm 
Labored long to build a heaven.

I figured it would be a good idea to create a thread for each series so we can discuss them. Has anyone else read this yet? It was fantastic and hopefully the other books manage to maintain even half this quality.

Post subject: Re: Minutemen
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:42 pm 
So impotent.

Whats the best place to buy this online?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:20 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

It was amazing. I especially loved the extra Hooded Justice art, I was forced to buy the comic digitally because no local stores had them. If my local comic shop has them on Friday I will buy them from there but it looks like I'll probably have to buy them digitally..

But this was totally awesome. I cannot wait until the second one!

"What happened to the American dream? It came true! Your lookin' at it."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:04 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

It honestly exceeded my expectations. I loved how even though I know all the characters, I feel like I was reading the first issue of a series I'd never heard of, characters that have been a huge part of my life seemed new and fresh.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:01 am 

Mantequilla wrote:
Whats the best place to buy this online?

Dccomics.com, I would assume.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:20 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

IGN rated it a 9/10 but I gotta say I thought it was more then underwhelming and completely what I was expecting. This first issue as least.. Just more needless background about the Minutemen and the overall style felt uninspired. It spends exactly two pages on each character and the transitions are bland. It came across as fan fiction to me.... which is what it is I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:13 pm 

Thorni52 wrote:
IGN rated it a 9/10 but I gotta say I thought it was more then underwhelming and completely what I was expecting. This first issue as least.. Just more needless background about the Minutemen and the overall style felt uninspired. It spends exactly two pages on each character and the transitions are bland. It came across as fan fiction to me.... which is what it is I guess.

I think as die-hard watchmen fans though we've all read the gn so many times that these characetrs that really have no back ground seem (to us) as main stream as any low tier characters, I'm sue on these boards Nite Owl I, Hooded Justice, and Silhouette are more known than Star-Lord, Groot, Blue Beetle I, or Peacemaker, so we don't need th eintroductions the same way people who read the gn once would.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:21 pm 
The Watcher

Read this issue today at a friend's house. Couldn't resist. It was okay. It was all character intros, so my guess is a story will kick in next issue? Yes, there was really nothing new or particularly interesting in this issue. Darwyn Cooke has that retro style, but to me its a little to polished. Looks like the Batman cartoon from the 90's. Again, lots of "meh."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:49 pm 
Crimebuster

Art = Good. Darwyne Cook has a pleasant style and knows how to do a comic.
Story and pacing related to the portrayal of Hooded Justice = Good, but it didn't add more depth to the character. It was nevertheless an example of good comic book storytelling, so props for that.
Crimson Corsair, portrayal of Night Owl I, portrayal of Silk Spectre I = Not up to snuff. Boring, I would go so far as to say.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:32 am 

evenmorenumbers wrote:
Story and pacing related to the portrayal of Hooded Justice = Good, but it didn't add more depth to the character. It was nevertheless an example of good comic book storytelling, so props for that.
Crimson Corsair, portrayal of Night Owl I, portrayal of Silk Spectre I = Not up to snuff. Boring, I would go so far as to say.

DoomsdayClock wrote:
Read this issue today at a friend's house. Couldn't resist. It was okay. It was all character intros, so my guess is a story will kick in next issue? Yes, there was really nothing new or particularly interesting in this issue. Darwyn Cooke has that retro style, but to me its a little to polished. Looks like the Batman cartoon from the 90's. Again, lots of "meh."

Again, you guys really know the characters so to you guys the origin stuff is redundant, but the vast majority of people reading this aren't going to know the difference between Silhouette and Silk Spectre.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:29 am 

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
evenmorenumbers wrote:

DoomsdayClock wrote:

Again, you guys really know the characters so to you guys the origin stuff is redundant, but the vast majority of people reading this aren't going to know the difference between Silhouette and Silk Spectre.

Not that I'm agreeing with them, but I'd be surprised if most people who read these series hadn't read the graphic novel.

And if they haven't, they should get on that immediately.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:37 am 
The Watcher

Yeah, I don't know who these comics are for. From all of the shit DC and the creator's have said, it sounded like these were made for Watchmen fans. If so we don't need a pre-school primer in the first issue.

If these were made for people who have not ever read the original, then that makes no fucking sense at all. To read these and to not have ever read the original is just plain scary, because these issues - for lack of a better explanation - are like footnotes to the original.

And, yes, Crimson Corsair... I have no idea what that is supposed to be. Seems very forced and unnecessary.

See, I don't remember feeling this lost and confused when I read the first issue of the original (yes, I was one of those old farts who got them issue to issue).

Post subject: The Minute Men
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:19 am 
A brother to dragons.

DoomsdayClock wrote:
Yeah, I don't know who these comics are for. From all of the shit DC and the creator's have said, it sounded like these were made for Watchmen fans. If so we don't need a pre-school primer in the first issue.

I hate to sound judgmental (but I am, so that's how it comes out), but I think these comics were meant for assholes.

DoomsdayClock wrote:
And, yes, Crimson Corsair... I have no idea what that is supposed to be. Seems very forced and unnecessary.

At the risk of sounding like a hypocrite, Crimson Corsair is the only Before Watchmen title that I am a little curious about. Judging from the look of the pirate on the cover, I'm imagining this story is all about a metatextual poke in the ribs to Alan Moore.

DoomsdayClock wrote:
See, I don't remember feeling this lost and confused when I read the first issue of the original (yes, I was one of those old farts who got them issue to issue).

We're roughly the same age, I think, but I wasn't clever enough at the time to buy the individual issues. I remember seeing them on the comic book shelf, though, and avoiding them completely. It wouldn't be until I read the DC version of V for Vendetta that I went back and bought the collected trade.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:17 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Broken Finger wrote:
I hate to sound judgmental (but I am, so that's how it comes out), but I think these comics were meant for assholes.

:lol:

For those of you who are reading these, are you buying them or reading them online?

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

Post subject: Re: The Minute Men
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:46 pm 
The Watcher

Broken Finger wrote:
DoomsdayClock wrote:

We're roughly the same age, I think, but I wasn't clever enough at the time to buy the individual issues. I remember seeing them on the comic book shelf, though, and avoiding them completely. It wouldn't be until I read the DC version of V for Vendetta that I went back and bought the collected trade.

It was seeing the cover of Watchmen #1 on the shelf that drew me to it. You see, I'm sorry to say, I never really got into super hero comics. Even as a teen I felt they were simplistic and cliched. I would read sci-fi, horror, action mini-series'. I was always looking for something different. Watchmen fit the bill perfectly. When I did read super hero fare it was only the stuff that was off-center like Miller's dark Knight, Moore's Killing Joke, or Marvels, or Kingdom Come.

When I read Minutemen #1 I felt dirty. I felt like I was doing something wrong. Reading it was akin to secretly visiting a strip club when you've told you wife you had to work late. It is by far the strangest comics reading experience I've ever had.

Post subject: The Mongoloid Man
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:59 pm 
A brother to dragons.

DoomsdayClock wrote:
When I read Minutemen #1 I felt dirty. I felt like I was doing something wrong. Reading it was akin to secretly visiting a strip club when you've told you wife you had to work late. It is by far the strangest comics reading experience I've ever had.

I think DC just found their new promo tag line or, shit, at least a back cover quote for the collected version.

DoomsdayClock wrote:
It was seeing the cover of Watchmen #1 on the shelf that drew me to it. You see, I'm sorry to say, I never really got into super hero comics. Even as a teen I felt they were simplistic and cliched. I would read sci-fi, horror, action mini-series'. I was always looking for something different. Watchmen fit the bill perfectly. When I did read super hero fare it was only the stuff that was off-center like Miller's dark Knight, Moore's Killing Joke, or Marvels, or Kingdom Come.

I loved superhero comics, but I was almost exclusively what was affectionately called a "Marvel Zombie" when Watchmen came out. Thankfully, I matured quite a bit in the two years proceeding Watchmen's debut. I think I had even stopped playing with action figures by then.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:32 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

t3cii wrote:
Broken Finger wrote:

:lol:

For those of you who are reading these, are you buying them or reading them online?

I bought mine digitally via IPhone, but today I ordered it from a local comic shop. I guess that's how I'll be getting them.

"What happened to the American dream? It came true! Your lookin' at it."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:57 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Read it today, thought it was pretty cool, I like the idea that Hollis is narrating, kinda gives it a noir feel.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:19 pm 

t3cii wrote:

I'm reading them online. I'm digging them so far, but I'm still not supportive enough of their existence to actually give them money.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:13 am 
Vigilante

I brought the issue today, thought it was pretty cool and I keep getting them for one reason, more Comedian.