WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum


Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Ozymandias
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:40 am 
Offline
Labored long to build a heaven.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 12480
Location: Monster Island (Really New York)
Image

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

_________________
"The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part.
Image
"There's a cello in your house now."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ozymandias
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:02 am 
Offline
Alien Squid Monster
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:52 pm
Posts: 148
I want to read it!!!!

_________________
"I will never reveal my identity. Anyone who knows me will refer to me as Hooded Justice

"What happened to the American dream? It came true! Your lookin' at it."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ozymandias
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:12 am 
Offline
The Watcher
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:58 am
Posts: 3650
Location: New York
I kinda liked this one. It didn't stay from canon at all with the exception of solidifying Veidt as being at least bi-sexual, and not gay.

I liked Len Wein's writing and I thought the art was fantastic.

_________________
Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music - George Carlin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ozymandias
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:31 am 
Offline
Labored long to build a heaven.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 12480
Location: Monster Island (Really New York)
DoomsdayClock wrote:
I kinda liked this one. It didn't stay from canon at all with the exception of solidifying Veidt as being at least bi-sexual, and not gay.

I liked Len Wein's writing and I thought the art was fantastic.

I don't know. It had the illusion of feeling like a classy book, but it really felt extremely unnecessary, with entire pages of writing lifted from the eleventh chapter of Watchmen, and even boring.

_________________
"The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part.
Image
"There's a cello in your house now."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ozymandias
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:30 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
I quite enjoyed this book, yeah it was derivative... but that worked for the story Wein was trying to tell in these pages.

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ozymandias
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:44 pm 
Offline
Labored long to build a heaven.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 12480
Location: Monster Island (Really New York)
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
I quite enjoyed this book, yeah it was derivative... but that worked for the story Wein was trying to tell in these pages.

That's true. I'm harsh on a lot of these first issues, but they might get a lot better once they hit their stride and get introductions out of the way.

Still, it has to be said that a lot of these first issues still aren't especially strong in and of themselves. (Minutemen was great, though.)

_________________
"The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part.
Image
"There's a cello in your house now."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ozymandias
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:31 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
I really wish I knew some people reading these that had only read the Gn once.

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ozymandias
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:53 am 
Offline
Alien Squid Monster
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:52 pm
Posts: 148
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
I really wish I knew some people reading these that had only read the Gn once.


I've only read the GN once.

This one was meh. It was interesting, though.

_________________
"I will never reveal my identity. Anyone who knows me will refer to me as Hooded Justice

"What happened to the American dream? It came true! Your lookin' at it."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ozymandias
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:15 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
Nemesis x88 wrote:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
I really wish I knew some people reading these that had only read the Gn once.


I've only read the GN once.

This one was meh. It was interesting, though.


Hmm, I hadn't considered that someone on this board had only read the GN once...

For me the main strength was Lee's art, I've been a fan of his since I first got into comics because of all the namor stuff I read, so it's nice to see a guy who's been in the industry so long still working at such a high level. I've reflected on it and I really feel like this one had the closest tone to the GN, mainly because of the way Wein aped Moore, but I still like it. I'd put this second behind Minute Men

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ozymandias
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:20 pm 
Offline
Labored long to build a heaven.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 12480
Location: Monster Island (Really New York)
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
I've reflected on it and I really feel like this one had the closest tone to the GN, mainly because of the way Wein aped Moore, but I still like it. I'd put this second behind Minute Men

Well, yeah, I was just gonna say, it's probably because entire pages of writing are ripped directly from the eleventh chapter of the GN.

_________________
"The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part.
Image
"There's a cello in your house now."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ozymandias
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:25 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
Godziller66 wrote:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
I've reflected on it and I really feel like this one had the closest tone to the GN, mainly because of the way Wein aped Moore, but I still like it. I'd put this second behind Minute Men

Well, yeah, I was just gonna say, it's probably because entire pages of writing are ripped directly from the eleventh chapter of the GN.


Yeah, I can't argue that, but I think blending stuff like that works

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ozymandias
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:35 pm 
Offline
Tired of Earth.
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:19 pm
Posts: 8131
Location: 1060 W. Addison St.
Well, I liked this more than Comedian, but I felt the whole Miranda angle was

A) a little out of character
B) a bit of a quick way to get Veidt into costume
C) too short


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ozymandias
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:44 pm 
Offline
Labored long to build a heaven.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 12480
Location: Monster Island (Really New York)
WJK wrote:
Well, I liked this more than Comedian, but I felt the whole Miranda angle was

A) a little out of character
B) a bit of a quick way to get Veidt into costume
C) too short

"The food here is terrible."

"And such small portions!"

_________________
"The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part.
Image
"There's a cello in your house now."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ozymandias
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:45 pm 
Offline
Crimebuster
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:50 pm
Posts: 42
Location: Luxembourg
I liked it as it gives us a glimps of Adrian. Well I just say: Moloch the drug dealer...that alone should be a reason to read it lol


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ozymandias
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:50 am 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
I really liked this issue, because it sets up Adrian as an arrogant problem solver... which is pretty key to the GN.

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ozymandias
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:55 am 
Offline
Labored long to build a heaven.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 12480
Location: Monster Island (Really New York)
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
I really liked this issue, because it sets up Adrian as an arrogant problem solver... which is pretty key to the GN.

Hey, I didn't care for this issue all too much, but that's besides the point because I just realized that the cover has nothing to do with the contents of the actual issue.

What the hell?

_________________
"The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part.
Image
"There's a cello in your house now."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ozymandias
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:24 am 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
Godziller66 wrote:
Hey, I didn't care for this issue all too much, but that's besides the point because I just realized that the cover has nothing to do with the contents of the actual issue.

What the hell?


You JUST realized that? I agree that the cover should be expressive of the interiors... but what are you going to do?

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.098s | 13 Queries | GZIP : Off ]