Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Canon Fodder
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:19 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

feliciano182 wrote:
Never saw that..................sue me.

Don't say "sue me". You make it sound like I'm persecuting you for not knowing.

feliciano182 wrote:
Yeah, Moore could've deffinitely let go on that one, maybe there were other problems that "snowballed" into making this into a much bigger issue than it should have ?

There was. With his other colleague, David Lloyd. From the following paragraph from the same interview:

Quote:
I said that because Dave Lloyd never did. Dave Lloyd took the money and then went around badmouthing me at these little comic conventions that he goes to--including on one occasion, apparently, sitting a table away from my daughter, Leah. I presume it was that stage of the evening where he was, perhaps a bit relaxed and refreshed. He was proclaiming in an over-loud voice about my many, many faults as a human being while Leah sat there. She knew what he thought, so she just rolled her eyes and ignored him. But, like I said, Dave Lloyd hadn't phoned up and thanked me. So, I really didn't want anything more to do with him. And, I explained this to Dave [Gibbons] and said "If you'd just ring up and say thank-you, that will be fine."

Here's the full interview: http://www.seraphemera.org/seraphemera_books/AlanMoore_Page1.html

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:31 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

t3cii wrote:
Don't say "sue me". You make it sound like I'm persecuting you for not knowing.

Settle down, it was a joke.

t3cii wrote:
There was. With his other colleague, David Lloyd.

I meant other problems with Dave Gibbons, maybe they were fighting over the years, and eventually Gibbons not thanking him was what Moore saw as the final nail in the coffin.

Post subject: Lose Canon
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:28 am 
New Frontiersman

feliciano182 wrote:
...maybe there were other problems that "snowballed" into making this into a much bigger issue than it should have ?

At a guess, I'm sure a significant problem would have been what Moore perceived to be Gibbons's complicity - either intentional or naïve on his part - to act as DC's persistent errand boy seemingly tasked with the job of pestering Moore to give his blessing to the various proposed WATCHMEN prequels, movie spin-offs et al. Especially so when it appeared to Moore that one of his genuine lifelong friends Steve Moore (no relation) had been denied work by DC in what Moore chose to consider to be an act of spite on account of his own refusal to capitulate with their WATCHMEN demands, when said work would have provided financial support for Steve's brother who was dying with motor-neurone disease. This is the man's honestly held opinion. Petty?

I wonder if, monetary payment aside, Dave Gibbons truly believes that the WATCHMEN movie and everything it seems to have spewed forth since has really all been worth it?
Moe Vernon?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:36 am 
The Watcher

Maybe Dave thanked him, maybe he didn't. It's all hearsay, it doesn't matter. That's between Dave and Alan.

When I said Moore burned a bridge with DC, I wasn't criticizing him for doing that. That's Moore's right. Good for him. Power to the people.

I was simply stating that for Gibbons to not have acted the same way that Moore did does note make him a shill, or a coward, or a money grubber. If Gibbons wanted to keep working with DC, and keep his friends there he may have felt he had little choice.

We have to assume he took money to "allow" Before Watchmen, but we can't be sure. DC steamrolled over Alan Moore, so my guess is if Gibbons took the moral high ground he would have become a pariah at DC just like Moore.

I don't begrudge Gibbons for protecting his career and his professional relationships on an issue that - even if he spoke out - DC would have just done what they wanted to anyway.

Post subject: Mo' ore Money
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:54 pm 
New Frontiersman

Latest word: Gibbons apparently took something in the region of half a million $$$ from DC to initially big up BW, whereas Moore claims to have turned down $2M+ according to Bleeding Cool... check out the full interview with The Beard over at LEFTLION.