WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:38 am 
Alien Squid Monster

Ok so, first I apologize for this thread because I don't want to go through 20+ threads to figure this out.

I didn't visit this website much after the movie & the DVDs were released and I'm not an avid comic book reader these days. So when I heard they actually made prequel comics to Watchmen and there were like 15 issues already I was blown away. I got informed on it a little a bit but what I'm wondering are they actually good and worthy of Watchmen ... "franchise" (that hurt me to to write). So naturally I found myself in these forums because I trust your opinions about Watchmen and I think other people like me would like to get a general opinion about them. Any general criticism and praise about the books are appreciated but don't go too deep with spoilers!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:30 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

Jus' subscribing !

Welcome back, I wouldn't be able to let you in on how these comics were, so I'll leave that to my other fellow forumites who did read them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:41 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Not worth it IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:39 pm 
I DID IT!

"Before Watchmen" in a nutshell...

The Artwork: Good to Great.

The Writing: Merely pedestrian to God awful insulting.

Since we are now 16 books into 37 total I am confident saying that this is a decent enough sample to call the whole thing a creative waste and absolutely NOT worthy of the WATCHMEN name.

My personal interwebz:
Facebook (regular Carl™)
Twitter (caffeinated Carl™)

Post subject: No rave from Dave
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:53 pm 
New Frontiersman

Dave Gibbons himself has probably best summed up the general sentiment at the halfway stage...
by diplomatically choosing to now say nothing at all. Read into that what you will...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:53 pm 

Ozymandias and MM are great, the rest is average to shit.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:11 pm 
Labored long to build a heaven.

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:

The first two issues of Ozymandias sure did suck, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:36 pm 
The Watcher

They suck. They all suck.

In all fairness - some are, at best, mildly entertaining on a surface level. Put that shit on the GN back cover right after Dave Gibbons lackluster, hostage crisis, half-endorsement.

"...at best, mildly entertaining on a surface level." - DoomsdayClock, WatchmenComicMovie.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:53 pm 

Godziller66 wrote:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:

The first two issues of Ozymandias sure did suck, in my opinion.

Yes, we know.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:11 pm 
So impotent.

After reading through this forum I feel I have a unique perspective on the Before Watchmen prequels. I have been collecting comics since 1985, mainly Spider-Man & Batman & had never read Watchmen. I read Watchmen for the first time just last year, I really enjoyed it & wanted more. When the prequels were announced I was very excited, I’m getting all of them, and really enjoying the art & the stories for what they are. I think most of the negativity around the books is similar to when I stopped reading Spider-Man briefly during the Maximum Cloneage debacle, I felt betrayed that the Peter Parker I’d been reading for years wasn’t the real one, but I’ve spoken to fans who started reading during this era and love clones. My advice is if you haven’t read the prequels give them a chance, leave your preconceptions at the door and go for the ride. Minuteman is the best, & Silk Spectre is close with it’s groovy 60’s setting.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:20 pm 

http://ifanboy.com/potw/pick-of-the-wee ... nutemen-4/

Have we considered that the people trashing it... were never going to like it no matter what? I've been seeing pretty good things week in and week out on iFanboy and now this happens, and keep in mind this is a week that award winning Daredevil came out. We're about the half way point of Before watchmen and I know most of you guys aren't reading them or said you never will... but you're missing out on some good stuff here (yes, some of it is crap) but some of it has been really great reading.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:14 pm 

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
http://ifanboy.com/potw/pick-of-the-week-10-17-2012-before-watchmen-minutemen-4/

Have we considered that the people trashing it... were never going to like it no matter what? I've been seeing pretty good things week in and week out on iFanboy and now this happens, and keep in mind this is a week that award winning Daredevil came out. We're about the half way point of Before watchmen and I know most of you guys aren't reading them or said you never will... but you're missing out on some good stuff here (yes, some of it is crap) but some of it has been really great reading.

I was going to drop Minutemen, actually, but maybe I'll download it now.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:17 pm 

Godziller66 wrote:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
http://ifanboy.com/potw/pick-of-the-week-10-17-2012-before-watchmen-minutemen-4/

If were you and just downloading them anyways, I'd read all of them to completetion... it's not like you're losing any money.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:22 pm 

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:

If were you and just downloading them anyways, I'd read all of them to completetion... it's not like you're losing any money.

No, but I'm losing precious seconds of my life as well as memory space.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:41 pm 

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Have we considered that the people trashing it... were never going to like it no matter what?

It's a valid possibility, however, most people chose their side when the announcement came, many chose to buy and read the new issues, and they showed relative excitement at the idea.

Therefore, any audience saying those comics suck it's them, the guys who were looking forward to them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:47 pm 

feliciano182 wrote:
Therefore, any audience saying those comics suck it's them, the guys who were looking forward to them.

I think I fall into that category on a few series, especially Comedian, but I just feel like we on this site are too close to the original to look at these as comics and judge them fairly.

Post subject: General Sentiments
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:29 pm 
A brother to dragons.

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:

I think I fall into that category on a few series, especially Comedian, but I just feel like we on this site are too close to the original to look at these as comics and judge them fairly.

I feel like I judged them fairly without ever having read a single line.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:37 pm 
Tired of Earth.

I've read at least one issue of each series that's out so far, so to judge them fairly.

The art is great, the writing is either shit or good, that's my opinion. I wouldn't even consider them prequels, more like a non-canon re-telling.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:01 pm 
The Watcher

I had an open mind. I read about 6 issues and they pretty much all suck...

The Ozy one was the only one that didn't suck - but, so what? There's nothing in there that we didn't know before.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:03 pm 

DoomsdayClock wrote:
I had an open mind. I read about 6 issues and they pretty much all suck...

The Ozy one was the only one that didn't suck - but, so what? There's nothing in there that we didn't know before.

But I also know you were very down on the concept beforehand, so how open of a mind did you really have?