WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum


Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:09 am 
Offline
Minuteman

Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:39 pm
Posts: 19
I'm just downloading them every week from TPB. When they're all out I'll read them on my iPad. Not expecting much but they might be fun or at least eye-candy which the last comic series I dropped (Walking Dead after 102 issues) had neither of.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:01 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
http://ifanboy.com/potw/pick-of-the-wee ... spectre-4/

And another Before Watchmen comic takes the POTW on iFanboy. I know these aren't "real fan" as DDC points out (curious what that makes me then), but still there is some praise going into these minis by people that don't reside on these boards.

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:28 pm 
Offline
Labored long to build a heaven.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 12480
Location: Monster Island (Really New York)
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
http://ifanboy.com/potw/pick-of-the-week-11-28-2012-before-watchmen-silk-spectre-4/

And another Before Watchmen comic takes the POTW on iFanboy. I know these aren't "real fan" as DDC points out (curious what that makes me then), but still there is some praise going into these minis by people that don't reside on these boards.

I don't very much appreciate you trying to project a sense of nerd elitism onto us. As has been stated before, I was gung-ho about these books and they disappointed me with their mediocrity. Granted, I dropped this series before I got to this issue, but I don't see it doing a complete 180. I am still reading Minutemen and Rorschach, though. Those ones are passable, though I'm thinking there's a lot of potential for them to fall apart a bit as they head towards their respective climaxes.

_________________
"The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part.
Image
"There's a cello in your house now."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:03 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
Godziller66 wrote:
I don't very much appreciate you trying to project a sense of nerd elitism onto us.


I'm not projecting it on you guys, but DDC did say

Quote:
I care about what serious Watchmen fans think of these books. And from what I've read and heard, their reaction has been extremely lackluster - and I agree with the consensus of real fans.


Which, is a pretty "elitist" statement. This is like the fake nerd girl thing, are we really in a place to say that we're more fans than someone who has only read the GN once? Also, that hit a personal chord with me because I have said I liked them and DDC in a response to me began talking about REAL fans and how REAL fans haven't liked them... I also am saying that the people who have been reading them haven't been hating them as much as the people who haven't been reading them... which is an interesting angle to consider when judging these books.

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:53 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm
Posts: 10199
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Which, is a pretty "elitist" statement. This is like the fake nerd girl thing, are we really in a place to say that we're more fans than someone who has only read the GN once? Also, that hit a personal chord with me because I have said I liked them and DDC in a response to me began talking about REAL fans and how REAL fans haven't liked them... I also am saying that the people who have been reading them haven't been hating them as much as the people who haven't been reading them... which is an interesting angle to consider when judging these books.


Don't take DDC's comments so personally, if you believe you are a real fan, then you are.

For my part, I don't share DDC's sentiments as well, but he has a point, people who really appreciate Watchmen as the true work of art that it is will have different opinions than the Rorschach fanboys or the people who call the main characters "The Watchmen".

I personally do not give a single shit about what those two groups have to say about the new comics, personally, I want the opinion of someone who is capable of appreciating the story in all it's greatness and complexity, as well as the events in the real world surrounding it, mainly, Alan Moore and DC's battle for ownership, people have managed to rationalize that away as unimportant, when nothing could be further from the truth.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:21 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
feliciano182 wrote:
Don't take DDC's comments so personally, if you believe you are a real fan, then you are.

For my part, I don't share DDC's sentiments as well, but he has a point, people who really appreciate Watchmen as the true work of art that it is will have different opinions than the Rorschach fanboys or the people who call the main characters "The Watchmen".

I personally do not give a single shit about what those two groups have to say about the new comics, personally, I want the opinion of someone who is capable of appreciating the story in all it's greatness and complexity, as well as the events in the real world surrounding it, mainly, Alan Moore and DC's battle for ownership, people have managed to rationalize that away as unimportant, when nothing could be further from the truth.


Hmmmm... I see what you're saying.

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:08 pm 
Offline
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:26 pm
Posts: 5380
Location: Knee Deep in the Dead
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Hmmmm... I see what you're saying.

:shock:

_________________
My Blog of Movie Reviews and Such
Image
I'll be right back. I gotta go see a man about a mule.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:33 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
NiteOwl wrote:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Hmmmm... I see what you're saying.

:shock:


What? Feli made a post that makes sense, and I'm acknowledging it.

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:30 pm 
Offline
The Watcher
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:58 am
Posts: 3650
Location: New York
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:
Don't take DDC's comments so personally, if you believe you are a real fan, then you are.

For my part, I don't share DDC's sentiments as well, but he has a point, people who really appreciate Watchmen as the true work of art that it is will have different opinions than the Rorschach fanboys or the people who call the main characters "The Watchmen".

I personally do not give a single shit about what those two groups have to say about the new comics, personally, I want the opinion of someone who is capable of appreciating the story in all it's greatness and complexity, as well as the events in the real world surrounding it, mainly, Alan Moore and DC's battle for ownership, people have managed to rationalize that away as unimportant, when nothing could be further from the truth.


Hmmmm... I see what you're saying.

This is what I meant when I said "real fan." My sentiments exactly. Thanks, Feli.

What it boils down to is I value the opinions of those kinds of Watchmen fans as opposed to comics fans who may have, kinda read a few issues once and think, "Rorschach and Comedian from The Watchmen are badass."

I'm sure compared to the average comic, some of these prequel runs are better than average reads. I'm sure most of the average comics fans out there think they're very good work.

Personally, I'm not the average fan. Im not saying I'm better than the average fan by any means, What I'm saying is, I don't read Superman, Spider-Man, X-Men or ant other super hero comics. I never liked them. Watchmen spoiled me, then I went on to other books by Alan Moore, Preacher, Swamp Thing, American Vampire. When it comes to the super hero genre I go in for Astro City, Marvels, Kingdom Come - the more headier fare (again, Watchmen spoiled me).

So I can't help but read the prequels and think, at best, "meh."

_________________
Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music - George Carlin


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:55 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
DoomsdayClock wrote:

Personally, I'm not the average fan. Im not saying I'm better than the average fan by any means, What I'm saying is, I don't read Superman, Spider-Man, X-Men or ant other super hero comics. I never liked them. Watchmen spoiled me, then I went on to other books by Alan Moore, Preacher, Swamp Thing, American Vampire. When it comes to the super hero genre I go in for Astro City, Marvels, Kingdom Come - the more headier fare (again, Watchmen spoiled me).



I think you're not giving nearly enough credit to readers of super hero comics and the comics themselves.

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:23 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm
Posts: 10199
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
I think you're not giving nearly enough credit to readers of super hero comics and the comics themselves.


And why should he ? Superhero comics are sucking huge cock right now.

Nobody really dies, nothing matters, time passes as conveniently as market dictates, and the industry itself is filled with way too many inmature, sexist, illiterate pricks, that goes for both creators and fans.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:00 am 
Offline
The Watcher
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:58 am
Posts: 3650
Location: New York
feliciano182 wrote:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
I think you're not giving nearly enough credit to readers of super hero comics and the comics themselves.


And why should he ? Superhero comics are sucking huge cock right now.

Nobody really dies, nothing matters, time passes as conveniently as market dictates, and the industry itself is filled with way too many inmature, sexist, illiterate pricks, that goes for both creators and fans.

I'm sure there are many avid super hero comics fans that have discerning tastes and "get" Watchmen. I'm not trying to put down comics fans.

Dr. B has it right. I'm more putting down the quality of most comics in general.

Maybe this analogy will make more sense. A friend of your's says the new Spider-man movie is the best super hero film the genre has ever produced. Then, when you ask them what their other favorite super hero films are they tell you, Superman III, Daredevil, Ghost Rider and Spawn. How much will you value their opinions now?

It's like the Watchmen movie. Tell me you hated the movie and that it sucked, but I need to know you actually like and appreciate good movies before I take your critique seriously. The same goes for people who have told me they loved the Watchmen movie and when I ask why, it's because "Rorschach kicks ass." I don't need to discuss it with them any further because I don't care what their opinion is any more.

_________________
Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music - George Carlin


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:41 pm 
Offline
Labored long to build a heaven.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 12480
Location: Monster Island (Really New York)
DoomsdayClock wrote:
Then, when you ask them what their other favorite super hero films are they tell you, Superman III, Daredevil, Ghost Rider and Spawn. How much will you value their opinions now?

Dude, Superman III is the best blaxploitation movie of all time.

_________________
"The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part.
Image
"There's a cello in your house now."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:09 am 
Offline
The Watcher
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:58 am
Posts: 3650
Location: New York
Godziller66 wrote:
DoomsdayClock wrote:
Then, when you ask them what their other favorite super hero films are they tell you, Superman III, Daredevil, Ghost Rider and Spawn. How much will you value their opinions now?

Dude, Superman III is the best blaxploitation movie of all time.

Granted. But, not one of the best super hero movies of all time.

And Office Space stole their plot from it as well...

_________________
Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music - George Carlin


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:32 pm 
Offline
I DID IT!
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:23 pm
Posts: 539
Location: Atlanta
I just honestly can't see how anyone can be a fan of WATCHMEN and its characters and also think these BEFORE WATCHMEN books are good and a worthy addition to the canon. Even putting aside that it was arguably wrong to do these books in the first place, the thing is they completely crapped the bed on a routine basis. They show an almost laughable ignorance of the original work and the characters. And when they try to think outside the box and do something brash, it just comes across as contrived and dumb (example: Comedian having a bromance with the Kennedy's).

This week, MINUTEMEN (considered by many to be the best book in the whole affair) joins the fray of pooping on the original characters for no good reason with this brilliant revelation: Hooded Justice was an evil serial killer of children.

:roll:

_________________
"It's a joke. It's all a joke..."

My personal interwebz:
Facebook (regular Carl™)
Twitter (caffeinated Carl™)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:03 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm
Posts: 10199
Comedian Carl wrote:
Hooded Justice was an evil serial killer of children.


Somebody better explain this shit to me ASAP.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:25 pm 
Offline
The Watcher
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:58 am
Posts: 3650
Location: New York
feliciano182 wrote:
Comedian Carl wrote:
Hooded Justice was an evil serial killer of children.


Somebody better explain this shit to me ASAP.

Okay, here it goes.

1. The prequels were a bad idea.
2. The people tasked to write them don't understand Watchmen.
3. Life is unfair.

How's that?

_________________
Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music - George Carlin


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:29 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm
Posts: 10199
DoomsdayClock wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:
Comedian Carl wrote:
Hooded Justice was an evil serial killer of children.


Somebody better explain this shit to me ASAP.

Okay, here it goes.

1. The prequels were a bad idea.
2. The people tasked to write them don't understand Watchmen.
3. Life is unfair.

How's that?


4. You supported them, and denounced Alan Moore's claim to the rights and ownership of Watchmen.

Just being fair bro.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:41 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 10658
Location: Arkham, Mass.
Comedian Carl wrote:
Hooded Justice was an evil serial killer of children.

:roll:


Dude... just because he was there doesn't make him the culprit, there is a story telling device called a cliff hanger that leaves people with no resolution, to try and ensure return readers... this was a cliff hanger...not a revelation.

_________________
@RealSlimCAvery
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:43 pm 
Offline
...you're locked in here with me!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:53 pm
Posts: 10199
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Dude... just because he was there doesn't make him the culprit, there is a story telling device called a cliff hanger that leaves people with no resolution, to try and ensure return readers... this was a cliff hanger...not a revelation.


That probably just means they're ruining someone else :lol:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.099s | 11 Queries | GZIP : Off ]