WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:47 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

feliciano182 wrote:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Dude... just because he was there doesn't make him the culprit, there is a story telling device called a cliff hanger that leaves people with no resolution, to try and ensure return readers... this was a cliff hanger...not a revelation.

That probably just means they're ruining someone else :lol:

I think it's probably Moloch's debut because he's chronologically set for a clash

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:50 pm 

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
I think it's probably Moloch's debut because he's chronologically set for a clash

Well, much better than Hooded Justice at least :| !

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:54 pm 

feliciano182 wrote:
Dr. Brooklyn wrote:

Well, much better than Hooded Justice at least :| !

The scene, for those not reading, has Hollis show up at a circus that he and Silhouette had been monitoring. She's dead and he has new leads, so to honor her he decides to close the case, when he arrives HJ is there, it's dark, and HJ beats Hollis and the issue ends with Hollis imprisoned.

We don't know it was HJ, we don't know what happened... besides... how much of HJ's activities were discussed? Remember when blake says that beating the young boy (blake here) is what got HJ off? Maybe under the hood HJ was a child abuser, we don't know. It's not like they made Nite Owl II a heroin addicted jazz critic!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:50 pm 
The Watcher

feliciano182 wrote:
DoomsdayClock wrote:
feliciano182 wrote:
Comedian Carl wrote:
Hooded Justice was an evil serial killer of children.

Somebody better explain this shit to me ASAP.

Okay, here it goes.

1. The prequels were a bad idea.
2. The people tasked to write them don't understand Watchmen.
3. Life is unfair.

How's that?

4. You supported them, and denounced Alan Moore's claim to the rights and ownership of Watchmen.

Just being fair bro.

5. You just make shit up.

I never supported them. I said I was cautiously optimistic and would give them a chance. I was. I did. They suck.

I denounced Alan's Moore's claim to the rights and ownership of Watchmen? First, what does this have to do with the prequels sucking? Second, I wish Moore and Gibbon's owned Watchmen. I want Moore and Gibbons to own Watchmen. They don't. It sucks. And refer to my original third point above.

If Moore wanted the rights to Watchmen, he would sue, or he would have taken the deals DC offered recently, or if it really mattered to him at the time, he would have read his original contract more carefully. We all know his beef with DC runs too deep and if half of what Moore claims about DC is true, I don't blame him for turning their recent offers down. Basically Alan Moore denounced Alan Moore's claim to the rights and ownership of Watchmen. So that situation is what it is.

I will give you this - I never said that I wouldn't read the prequels because of what DC allegedly did to Alan Moore. I did struggle with the morality of it, heard all of the arguments with an open mind, but in the end decided Moore's reasoning and case was weak and more sour grapes than any tangible evil doing on the part of DC. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm callous, but I'll wear that scarlet letter if I have to.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:54 am 
I DID IT!

If it ends up not being Hooded Justice then it's just as contrived and even more hackneyed. Bottom line, this is shit writing not at all worthy of the WATCHMEN mantle.

My personal interwebz:
Facebook (regular Carl™)
Twitter (caffeinated Carl™)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:48 pm 
I DID IT!

And in this week's installment of "WTF? Did I Really Just Read/See That?!?!"...

In the latest issue of Rorschach, our titular hero rides in the back of a cab and has a conversation with the driver, who is Travis Bickle (Robert DeNiro's character from TAXI DRIVER). I shit you not.

They're just trolling us, right???

My personal interwebz:
Facebook (regular Carl™)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:05 pm 
The Watcher

Comedian Carl wrote:
And in this week's installment of "WTF? Did I Really Just Read/See That?!?!"...

In the latest issue of Rorschach, our titular hero rides in the back of a cab and has a conversation with the driver, who is Travis Bickle (Robert DeNiro's character from TAXI DRIVER). I shit you not.

They're just trolling us, right???

That's just all kinds of stupid.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:12 pm 
I DID IT!

And it takes up 3 full pages of the issue!

My personal interwebz:
Facebook (regular Carl™)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:44 pm 

Comedian Carl wrote:
And it takes up 3 full pages of the issue!

He's never once called Travis Bickle, it's just an easter egg. He doesn't have the mowhawk or anything so it's just a guy who looks like young DeNiro, and it's not like they did a team up of Travis and Rorschach, you're just looking for reasons to be upset, and I will concede that there are plenty of reasons to be upset with these prequels... but this easter egg isn't one of them.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:57 am 
I DID IT!

He didn't have the mowhawk the entire film. Besides... an "Easter Egg" that lasts 3 full pages of a 22 page comic?? Come on. That's about as subtle as a bull in a china shop. It's not an Easter Egg if it's this obvious and in your face.

What's next? 5 pages of Rorschach attending the NYC premiere of STAR WARS?

My personal interwebz:
Facebook (regular Carl™)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:27 pm 

Comedian Carl wrote:
He didn't have the mowhawk the entire film. Besides... an "Easter Egg" that lasts 3 full pages of a 22 page comic?? Come on. That's about as subtle as a bull in a china shop. It's not an Easter Egg if it's this obvious and in your face.

Dude, you realize that there are probably a lot of people out there reading this comic... that have never seen taxi driver? I know he doesn't have the mowhawk the whole film, but the most iconic images from that movie are when he has the mowhawk near the end. The fact is, that it's an easter egg because to a good chunk of readers... it's just a guy in a cab that illustrates that Rorschach isn't really different from the average Joe other than taking action, and that will over whelm him later.

I do agree though, having Rorschach see Star Wars would almost be as bad as having Adrian Veidt go to Studio 54, what if that happened? I would burn every copy of the prequels if they had a character from Watchmen attend something from our world to further establish the time period of the comics.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:14 pm 
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Comedian Carl wrote:

Dude, you realize that there are probably a lot of people out there reading this comic... that have never seen taxi driver? I know he doesn't have the mowhawk the whole film, but the most iconic images from that movie are when he has the mowhawk near the end. The fact is, that it's an easter egg because to a good chunk of readers... it's just a guy in a cab that illustrates that Rorschach isn't really different from the average Joe other than taking action, and that will over whelm him later.

I do agree though, having Rorschach see Star Wars would almost be as bad as having Adrian Veidt go to Studio 54, what if that happened? I would burn every copy of the prequels if they had a character from Watchmen attend something from our world to further establish the time period of the comics.

:lol: *hands Dr.B a can of lighter fluid* get started buddy. the end is nigh.

Edit: I just had to see it. So I downloaded the issue. First one I've actually downloaded too.
I don't think that bit was a total travesty. Dr.B is right. It is an Easter Egg. And I chuckled at it. Those panels look like they're straight out of Taxi Driver promo art. On the whole the very concept of pairing these two up is just bugger. But I thought this was a neat little nod. Especially how they wrote his dialog. I can just picture Deniro saying that.
"Trouble back there?"
"Trouble back there?"
"I said trouble back there?"

Though this works better in something like... fanart. Like the pairing I did of Bronson and Alex DeLarge.
If anything this cemented the fact I'm genuinely just... not into this entire "Before Watchmen" thing.
I wish I could say it's because I'm sticking by Moore or some noble shit like that. But honestly... it's just not interesting me. *shrug*

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:20 pm 
Labored long to build a heaven.

I don't completely and utterly hate Before Watchmen. I think Minutemen and Rorschach (the two series I'm still reading) are pretty fun fan-fiction.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:35 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

"If Moore wanted the rights to Watchmen, he would sue, or he would have taken the deals DC offered recently, or if it really mattered to him at the time, he would have read his original contract more carefully."

Maybe. But in them days, the publishers called the shots, and if you wanted to be published in the major leagues, you pretty much had to take what was offered, which was a "work for hire" arrangement. It took the efforts of Moore and other noted creators to change that, and the scary rise of the indie publishers. But the change came too late to affect the Watchmen deal. That was perhaps the last time creators got stiffed like that, altho' Moore and Gibbons made out better still than most other creators of that period. But if Moore and Gibbons had asked for ownership rights to the characters of Watchmen, DC would probably have refused, and that would have been the end of that. I don't know if a smaller publisher would have been interested or capable of doing any better for the book or the creators.

That all said, I have to be selfishly glad Moore and Gibbons accepted the terms and went to work for their meager pittance, or we might never have had Watchmen in the first place and wouldn't be arguing about these things all these years later.

Things haven't changed that much in publishing or the arts in general -- the creators have the least power or control of anyone, unless they're a legitimate Big Name who's earned leverage. Suits call the shots.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:41 pm 
Crimebuster

mm..I see most of you don´t like them at all. Soo...I in my opinion like them, sometimes there are things I don´t like because it´s just like someone of you said: fanfiction writing...
I was suprised about the Dr. Manhattan one and thought I wouldn´t like it but it´s one of my favs, especially with the What-if point of view...
Jon marries Janey...I thought it was an original idea and approach

I do like the Minute man one too, grew fonder of the Silouette...
The Ozymandias ones: I like them half and half.

The latest one I read was the Moloch one and I liked it.

Well I do respect everyone´s point of view and opinion. So here is mine. Maybe I am easily entertained or just like how the writers and painters like to bring their fanfiction to paper? haha. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:46 pm 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

My sentiments?

Mmm. Don't want to come across like some bleeding sad troll, but I have no sentiments whatsoever. Couldn't be bothered to even dl the things for a look-see.

Bleh.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:04 am 
Labored long to build a heaven.

Soupdragon wrote:
Bleh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYw1HyU8V3w&t=25s