WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:54 pm 
The Watcher

Katsuro wrote:
I kind of agree with his revised petition. A three hour cut in and of itself doens't mean anything to me. I just want it to be a good movie, however long that might be.

I'd have to see the three hour cut to know whether any of it could be trimmed down or not, or whether it needed to be. It seems kind of silly to stick to some arbitrary running time as if that's what Watchmen needs to be at. I mean, didn't one of Snyder's recent interviews indicate that he himself was trying to cut it down a bit, just because he felt it was a little too long?

I support the "Let Snyder make Watchmen as long as it needs to be to be a good movie" petitiion.

Then you missed the point to. The petition is for those in support of a 3 hour Watchmen. From all that Synyer has said in the past, it seems that the studio is attempting to whittle down his 3 hour cut shorter and shorter because they feel its better if the film is shorter. We as fans are voicing support for Zack Snyder and want WB to give him the runtime he feels his film needs to still be Watchmen - which again, he had said time and again, is three hours.

But apparently you, like the guy over at 1O9, feel we just want a 3 hour runtime for the sake of it. Nice.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:10 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Careful, DD. The last thing we need right now is to start attacking our own.

For my part, I signed the petition because Snyder appears to be having difficulty in cutting the movie to be less than three hours. I believe that if he needs three hours, he should get three hours. It's understandable, given the source material's length and complexity. It's feasible, given the tremendous success of LotR, Titanic, TDK and other films that either crossed three hours or flirted with that length.

Hopefully, with this petition, we can show WB that audiences will still come to see a 3-hour movie.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:11 pm 
Vigilante

Katsuro wrote:
I'd have to see the three hour cut to know whether any of it could be trimmed down or not, or whether it needed to be. It seems kind of silly to stick to some arbitrary running time as if that's what Watchmen needs to be at.

We're not. The 3-hour running time was suggested not because of some arbitrary lucky charm criterion, but because it's a reasonable, "serious" running time, and also because of Snyder's own comments on his current cut.

Katsuro wrote:
I mean, didn't one of Snyder's recent interviews indicate that he himself was trying to cut it down a bit, just because he felt it was a little too long?

Not quite. He's grudgingly trimming it to meet studio demands. Every interview I can remember has been quite clear on this and on the fact that he really doesn't feel he can comfortably drop much more from the film.

Katsuro wrote:
I support the "Let Snyder make Watchmen as long as it needs to be to be a good movie" petition.

Um... The definition of "good movie" is problematic. Apart from the fact that Snyder has already expressed that his Watchmen done right is three hours long, it's not being trimmed down in order to make it a good movie. It's being made shortened by the studio in order to have a more popcorn-friendly product, easier to sell to those members of the audience who seem to feel that the sooner a film is over, the better.

Based only on comments made by Mr. Snyder himself, both petitions are asking for pretty much the same thing. Snyder wants this to be a three hour movie. That we know. On the other hand, I still don't understand how a film is better if it's shorter.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:22 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

This is the second Watchmen movie article that authors recently written, and to me he comes off as a complete douche on both occasions

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:23 pm 
The Watcher

I commented over at io9, but apparently they need to "approve" you as a commenter. Fucking communists. Let's see if my post makes it through.

You're all right. I'm not posting a rebuttal on this site. Fuck them.

And Curi, I'm not attacking Katsuro, it's just his comments piss me off.

Anyone who has been on this site for a while and keeps up with all of the interviews and news should know Snyder supports a 3 hour cut.

And this whole "I support a good Watchmen movie" crap. WTF? That makes no sense at all. Who wants a bad movie?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:35 pm 
Tired of Earth.

DoomsdayClock wrote:
I commented over at io9, but apparently they need to "approve" you as a commenter. Fucking communists. Let's see if my post makes it through.
That's bullshit. I appreciate the effort for quality control, but you'd think a news site would know where to draw the line in regard to freedom of speech.

DoomsdayClock wrote:
You're all right. I'm not posting a rebuttal on this site. Fuck them.
Good call.

DoomsdayClock wrote:
And Curi, I'm not attacking Katsuro, it's just his comments piss me off.
I know, my friend. It's just that I don't want a major debate happening here. We shouldn't be fighting each other over this. We shouldn't have to convince each other that Zack Snyder should be given the creative freedom he needs to make the best movie possible.

We should be trying to convince WB, and if necessary, we should be trying to fight io9. God forbid that should be necessary, though.

DoomsdayClock wrote:
Anyone who has been on this site for a while and keeps up with all of the interviews and news should know Snyder supports a 3 hour cut.

And this whole "I support a good Watchmen movie" crap. WTF? That makes no sense at all. Who wants a bad movie?
No one wants a bad movie. There are some, however, who want a shortened movie. There are some who believe that a shorter Watchmen movie will be a better and more profitable movie.

I believe that they are wrong.

I believe that a three-hour Watchmen adaptation will be a better, closer, more faithful adaptation. I believe that a three-hour cut of Watchmen will make for a far better movie. I believe that Zack Snyder needs all the help and freedom he can get to make the best film that he can. Last but not least, I believe that even if the movie breaks three hours, I will still be there to buy my ticket on opening day, and I will likely go back to watch the movie multiple times.

My signature on that petition is my declaration of these beliefs, for all at Warner Brothers and the Watchmen production to see.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:28 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

if it does get cut down i would be happy with 2 :50

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:56 pm 
Oh how the ghost of you clings...

I've signed it already. I hope many of you do too! I started a thread of this on another forum with a link to the petition. People over there don't really seem interested though. . .

And yes, FUCK that whole "fans for a good Watchmen movie" bullshit. Just sign the damn petition and shut the fuck up.

*I got your back, DD*

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:07 pm 
A brother to dragons.

I don't get the "good Watchmen movie" nonsense either. Zack tells us he needs three hours for a faithful cut. We make a petition to give him three hours.

End of story.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:30 pm 
Minuteman

Quote:
Ideally, we'd like that to be less than three hours because, come on, three hours for a movie? That wasn't any fun for any of the Lord Of The Rings movies, and at least they didn't feature radioactive glowing blue men showing off their man junk. Most people don't really like long movies; look at Robert Downey Jr.'s reaction to The Dark Knight. Do you really want to make a movie that'll confuse Robert Downey Jr. even more than The Dark Knight?
This excerpt from IO9's suggested petition undermines any credibility they might have. I have trouble believing that they aren't joking, due to the fact that there have been several great 3+ hour movies and many of them have performed well at the box office.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:33 pm 
A brother to dragons.

A Watchmen movie makes little sense. However, if you're going to go ahead and make a movie out of Watchmen, why not lend your chosen director the creative license to make a fucking Watchmen movie?

Logical, yeah?

Don't make me call you "douchebags".

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:22 pm 
The Watcher

Broken Finger wrote:
Don't make me call you "douchebags".

Tom Stechschulte told me you don't have the balls to that.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:26 pm 
A brother to dragons.

I've already e-mailed Big Tom my challenge to bare-knuckle box.

Not for charity or anything, mind you. Just bare-knuckle boxing, for bragging rights.

Let's hear Tommy's "Laurie" voice after I've landed a couple of jabs to the throat, you know what I'm saying?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:31 pm 
Vigilante

That guy at Io9 really hasn't been paying attention. We all know that Snyder has a cut around three hours at the moment, and that the studio wants him to cut it down further. Anyone else remember reading in one of the comic con interviews about how he's not quite ready to cut out Hollis Mason, but basically that the next thing the studio would want to be cut out. Does anybody really want to watch a Watchmen movie without the original Nite Owl? I know I don't.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:16 am 
Vigilante

Quote:
I DONT HAVE FUCKING ADD, MAKE IT 3 HOURS

That has to be my favourite comment so far - we're at 2,200 - pretty good going. I hope for more silly io9 articles to help us out. By the way does anyone have an account over at Batman-on-film? I've never been able to get registered there and I think they would be very interested in our little venture...

S

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:23 am 
A brother to dragons.

servator wrote:
Quote:
I DONT HAVE FUCKING ADD, MAKE IT 3 HOURS

That has to be my favourite comment so far - we're at 2,200 - pretty good going. I hope for more silly io9 articles to help us out. By the way does anyone have an account over at Batman-on-film? I've never been able to get registered there and I think they would be very interested in our little venture...

S

Holy shit, 2200! Wow. It probably was the io9 article that helped us... eh heh heh.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:28 am 
A brother to dragons.

I WILL BARE-KNUCKLE BOX GRAEME MCMILLAN, FOR HE IS A WHINY LITTLE DOUCHEBAG WITH TOO MUCH TIME ON HIS HANDS!

Does little Graeme think he's man enough to start a problem? The site that he "writes" for is filled with pinks and lavenders. Even the html hyperlink text is lavender. Pinks and lavenders are not threatening, my friend. How about stark black with orangey text? That's some scary Halloween shit, right there.

Graeme is not smart enough to understand Watchmen, nor can he type out a whiny little editorial without using spellcheck. Is there a spellcheck option here? Fuck no! We either spell it right the first time or we embarass ourselves. Even editing here leaves you with an eternal brand of shame.

Graeme, go back to writing articles about how your favorite brand of panties clash with your favorite brand of tampon, and incur my wrath no more.

Dooms, can we get this on the front page?

Brief edit: The commenter who calls himself "Hookey" is an ignorant asshole who deserves to be run over by a car. A clown car. Then, the clowns will all get out and urinate on his face as he screams for help.

Don't fuck with me when I'm hung over, "Hookey".

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:17 am 
The Watcher

2,382!

EDIT: Wait... 2,401!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:12 pm 
Crimebuster

Signed. Posted link on Gaia.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:14 pm 
Watchmaker

We're almost there.

Okay. Not really. But amazing work thus far, everyone!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next