WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:37 am 
Gazing into the abyss.

As per the Rorschach thread, what do people think about the Matthew Goode's casting. My comment in that thread veered off a little after Jude Law was suggested for Rorschach and I mentioned my similar distaste for him in the role of Ozymandias. After seeing Goode in Match Point and also that puff piece Chasing Liberty I was impressed at his confidence and how natural he seemed in both films. He also showed a remarkable presence in rather slight roles (unlike Law) and I look forward to seeing what he can do with a much bigger one. Apparently he's excellent in the Lookout, showing off a more menacing side to his character.

As a sidenote, I would have loved to have seen Peter O'Toole circa Lawrence of Arabia as Ozymandias. That to me is dream casting at its best.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:34 am 
Watchmaker

I'm all for the casting decision should the character not die. :| Matthew won my devotion because of his remarkable and commanding presence in Match Point, a film I happen to dislike very much.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:57 am 
Gazing into the abyss.

Yeah, absolute rubbish isn't it. And yet, somehow Goode came out of it smelling like roses. Surprised, but very happy when I heard he was cast as Ozy and in process made me more confident about Snyder being at the helm.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:05 am 
New Frontiersman

i only watched Match Point because Scarlett Johansson was in it (not even the whole movie, just fowarded to a few 'scenes' that interested me). ;)

Now i have to see it as a whole. Now im interested in Goode's acting skills.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:09 am 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

I loved Johansson in Lost in Translation. Find her style aggrevating, otherwise. Must confess that I don't remember Goode in Match Point at all. Some impression he made on me. :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:22 am 
Minuteman

Hi guys,

Here's a link to a youtube clip...of an interview Matthew did for The Lookout....he he....he called his director a bastard :P Interview!!!

Enjoy

Suzette

The World of Matthew Goode

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:33 am 
Watchmaker

Soupdragon wrote:
I loved Johansson in Lost in Translation. Find her style aggrevating, otherwise. Must confess that I don't remember Goode in Match Point at all. Some impression he made on me. :oops:

His story was cut up in the editing room and salvaged in the final cut. He doesn't have much dialogue actually. :arrow:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:18 pm 
Vigilante

Kingmob wrote:
As a sidenote, I would have loved to have seen Peter O'Toole circa Lawrence of Arabia as Ozymandias. That to me is dream casting at its best.

Love that idea.

"Jesus, Adrian. You caught the bullet! Doesn't it hurt?"

"Of course it hurts."

"What's the trick, then?"

"The trick is not minding that it hurts."

While we're casting from across the time/space continuum, I'm getting chills imagining how Orson Welles (circa "Citizen Kane" and/or "The Third Man") would have delivered Adrian's "I did it 35 minutes ago" speech.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:08 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Or Welles circa The Muppet Movie.

I think Goode is an excellent choice for Veidt. I was originally banking on Jude Law, but after seeing the Lookout, I became far more comfortable seeing Goode in the role. The film itself wasn't amazing, but the fact that his character seemed far more three dimensional kept me watching. The guy knows how to play alterior motives.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:59 pm 
Vigilante

Cranston wrote:
I'm getting chills imagining how Orson Welles (circa "Citizen Kane" and/or "The Third Man") would have delivered Adrian's "I did it 35 minutes ago" speech.

WhitIH wrote:
Or Welles circa The Muppet Movie.

Yeah, that's a different kind of chills....

[shudder]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:21 am 

O'Toole as Egon in Ratatouille was superb. What a class act.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:32 am 
Gazing into the abyss.

I think O'Toole's performance in Lawrence of Arabia is arguably the best in cinema history.

In fact, I don't think I'm going to be able to watch the film anymore without picturing him as Ozymandias. Bugger.

I know it will get Americans goats, but I do think casting an Englishman was the right way to go with Veidt. Thoughts? (Or was Veidt English anyway, and I just really need to re-read the book?)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:40 am 

Travelled US citizen.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:23 am 
Vigilante

Soupdragon wrote:
Travelled US citizen.

True. But he also seems the type who might have developed -- or intentionally cultivated -- a "worldly"-sounding, somewhat British accent.

Although, frankly, Hollywood shorthand being what it is, casting a British actor as Ozymandias would be about the same as putting a "This guy's the megalomaniacal supervillain" sign above his head....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:18 pm 
Gazing into the abyss.

Cranston wrote:
Soupdragon wrote:
Travelled US citizen.

True. But he also seems the type who might have developed -- or intentionally cultivated -- a "worldly"-sounding, somewhat British accent.

Although, frankly, Hollywood shorthand being what it is, casting a British actor as Ozymandias would be about the same as putting a "This guy's the megalomaniacal supervillain" sign above his head....

Yes, it is rather sad how insular Hollywood and cinema has got. It's their own fault for being so damn lazy in both the productions they set up (remake, remake, remake) and how they cast.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:36 pm 
Vigilante

Kingmob wrote:
Cranston wrote:
Soupdragon wrote:
Travelled US citizen.

Yes, it is rather sad how insular Hollywood and cinema has got. It's their own fault for being so damn lazy in both the productions they set up (remake, remake, remake) and how they cast.

Ack. Having said this, I finally just looked at a YouTube clip of Goode. I hadn't realized before that he is, in fact, a British actor.

Does anyone know if he's playing Ozy as a Brit or as an American?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:50 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Suzikane wrote:
Hi guys,

Here's a link to a youtube clip...of an interview Matthew did for The Lookout....he he....he called his director a bastard :P Interview!!!

Enjoy

Suzette

Thank you for the link, Suzi.

I had known absolutely nothing of Goode before I saw this clip. Call me easily convinced or gullible or whatever, but I think that this man is absolutely perfect for Ozymandias. Just watching him answer the questions... it's exactly how I imagine Veidt would look and act in an interview.

But to repeat an earlier sentiment, I don't care about who plays him so much as I care whether or not Veidt lives.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:56 pm 
Watchmaker

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Suzikane wrote:
Hi guys,

Enjoy

Suzette

Thank you for the link, Suzi.

I had known absolutely nothing of Goode before I saw this clip. Call me easily convinced or gullible or whatever, but I think that this man is absolutely perfect for Ozymandias. Just watching him answer the questions... it's exactly how I imagine Veidt would look and act in an interview.

But to repeat an earlier sentiment, I don't care about who plays him so much as I care whether or not Veidt lives.

I'm almost sure that Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman saved the film.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:17 am 
Minuteman

You guys are welcome :mrgreen: !

Suzette

The World of Matthew Goode

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:42 pm 
Vigilante

Kingmob wrote:

An amazing cast choice he would have been.

So far I have seen nothing of Matthew Goode's acting ability, but he looks a bit too young for the part, and doesn't have the "strong faced" look to him. But I plan on watching a few films he's in (I saw Match Point mentioned a few times) and giving him a chance before I can really say.