WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 508 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 26  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:53 am 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

Total Film has word as well:

http://www.totalfilm.com/movie_news/new ... e_screened

The film is currently 2hrs45mins, the footage is apparently outstanding ("Yes, Snyder has done the impossible. He’s made us all even more excited to see this thing.") and there's apparently a new trailer soon! Fantastic!
Oh, DDC you're gonna have a hellava time!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:20 am 
Existence is random.

I'm now convinced that the movie will blow my mind away literally.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:24 am 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

damn him. I mean, god bless him.

well, he's a member...i wouldn't expect him to post here and wouldn't expect someone to ask him since our dear dd will be there and his scoop will be hell cool, I'm sure.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:37 am 
New Frontiersman

From ComingSoon's post:

Quote:
Doctor Manhattan shakes hands with President Kennedy (using actual footage) and we then see his assassination by the Comedian (standing on the grassy knoll). Lesbian superheroine Silhouette kisses a nurse at the end of World War II (parodying the LIFE magazine photo) and then a shot of her subsequent murder.

I never thought I would be so excited for a movie's opening credits, but damn that sounds great.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:48 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Not much coverage on how good are the scenes with lines though. Please tell us more about the delivery of the lines in your report, would you DD? It'll be greatly appreciated. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:54 am 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

yes, definitely.

loved the report and i could almost feel what he felt when he saw the opening credits and the fight scene (veidt x blake)...the using of the ad and Unforgettable...brilliant.

well, recently i watched dark knight again...and man, those 2h24 min felt like forever. not that was boring, but I mean, they felt so much longer than that. way more. i bet 2h45 min, woosh...i can't even describe, then...however, 15 more minutes wouldn't be that bad :mrgreen:

the 10min. 'compression' of doc's origin: beautiful. exactly what i always thought, the precise amount of time needed in my opinion, to portray it. the reference devin made about scott mccloud statements on time flow in comic books work so well here - because we have, say, 30 pages of doc's origins it doesn't mean we must have a loooong aproach in its adaptation. small panels don't mean quick moments neither big panels mean long moments.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:18 am 
Gazing into the abyss.

'I burst into laughter (the good kind) seeing Silhouette in Times Square on V-E Day grabbing a young girl and kissing her, making an alternate reality lesbian version of that famous picture of the girl and sailor kissing.'

Brilliant

'Perhaps the biggest shock of this scene was learning that Billy Crudup's voice is totally unprocessed as Dr. Manhattan. Asked about it in the Q&A, Snyder said that he figured since Manhattan could do anything he would keep his voice normal so as to not freak people out, but also that Crudup's voice, which is so calm and soothing, would be freaky and perfect coming from this god.'

Brilliant x 2. How unnerving was HAL in 2001?

'The film's current running time is two hours and forty five minutes, meaning that the 25 minutes I saw was a minor sampling.'

Hmmmm not bad. Still feels like a compromise rather than a win though.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:20 am 
New Frontiersman

Damn, reading this just reminds me how close and yet how far March is. I'm glad he got to see Jon's origin story; that's my favorite part of the comic. I am also pretty psyched about the opening credits, and Blake's fight. Don't care too much about the prison riot myself, but it'll probably look cool.

I'm excited to hear DDC's take on these scenes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:25 am 
Gazing into the abyss.

'Snyder uses the speed ramping technique to pull out and emphasize certain moments - a kick, a punch, an impact - although this time it does feel like it comes closer to the 'cool' visuals of 300. Still, it's a restrained bit of action in a film that will have very little of it.'

Ok, I skipped past this in the opening paragraph or so because I liked Faraci's explanation for it, but here it's almost like he's trying to zip past it. I didn't like it in 300, and I don't want to see that kind of easy technique used in the fight sequences. I want to see hard, brutal action, and slo-mo in a '300' sense just comes off as candy wrapped rubbish.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:33 am 
Dog Carcass in Alley

Kingmob wrote:
The film's current running time is two hours and forty five minutes, meaning that the 25 minutes I saw was a minor sampling.'

Hmmmm not bad. Still feels like a compromise rather than a win though.

That's still not that bad. Stuff will no doubt be cut, but I think you can cram a lot of story in that time frame.

Kingmob wrote:
I want to see hard, brutal action, and slo-mo in a '300' sense just comes off as candy wrapped rubbish.

Agreed. The action doesn't have to be fast, just kind of brutal and dirty.

Uhh.....the fighting that it :?

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:34 am 
New Frontiersman

Only major complaint: it sounds like "the cogs faling on Brooklyn" is out, which was, in my opinion, a major part of Jon's life that could have been shown in about a minute on screen. Maybe it'll be on the extended DVD or something, who knows.

But of course, all this sounds very exciting.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:19 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

You know that Futurama episode where Fry discovers he has a million dollars in his bank account? That's pretty much how I reacted after reading these reports. And damn, I thought we'd have to wait until next year for another trailer but one before freaking Quantum of Solace?! I was going to see it anyway, but now, thanks to that trailer, I MUST see it.

One question I feel embarassed to ask, what is that song "Unforgettable"? I don't think I've heard it before.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:22 am 
Gazing into the abyss.

Does anyone else think Snyder is trying to make a point with his use of slo-mo? I highlighted Faraci's comments in the first paragraph and the connection to the comic book panel, but that prison fight just seems to be him regressing back to the cool factor.

My idea of cool is the brutal, compact fighting in Bourne or Bond. This is exactly the Snyder we see in interviews when every other word is 'Awesome'. Personally I didn't need to see the Spartans fighting in slo-mo to know how 'cool' they were. It's a lazy technique used there. If he wanted to show how 'cool' they were he could have emulated that compact style, and used the edit to create a far more intoxicating rhythm than the up/down wave you get from slo-mo.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:25 am 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

Nat King Cole's Unforgettable

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:30 am 

What the fuck?!!
Something you guys haven't picked up on yet, and that surprises me - why does Rorschach have his mask at the prison scene?!!

Edit: Before the thread merge, it was clearer that I was referring to the Chud article in which Devin describes the prison scene, and says that it gave the best look so far at Rorschach's mask and it's motion.
Now doesn't that particularly strike anyone as odd?!

Last edited by AYBGerrardo on Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:32 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Thank You!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:12 am 
Alien Squid Monster

AYBGerrardo wrote:
What the fuck?!!
Something you guys haven't picked up on yet, and that surprises me - why does Rorschach have his mask at the prison scene?!!

Edit: Before the thread merge, it was clearer that I was referring to the Chud article in which Devin describes the prison scene, and says that it gave the best look so far at Rorschach's mask and it's motion.
Now doesn't that particularly strike anyone as odd?!

If Rorschach has his mask during the prison escape then that means that the scene when he and Dan go back to his apartment and confront the landlady might not be in the film. I hope it is as I really want to see the moment when Rorschach sees himself in the child.

- OZYMANDIAS - interview in NOVA/EXPRESS
Aug. 1977

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:24 am 

So does Dan bring Rorschach the mask to prison? Or is Rorschach allowed to keep his mask? Either way doesn't really make much sense...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:24 am 
Alien Squid Monster

AYBGerrardo wrote:
What the fuck?!!

I did it two pages ago (adopts creepy Veidt grin) I feel like I've been ignored...it's probably because I'm just so impotent :( *edit - I've just found out I'm a minuteman...yay!*

I basically underlined that Rorschach (in full get up) drowns Big Figure, which confuses me as that would mean Kovacs would have had to have taken a detour to reclaim his face and coat from the prison stores or that Nite Owl brought his spare gear for him (bless!) but if Kovacs does take that detour then he wouldn't really be following Big Figure unless he tracks him down after. Is confused.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:28 am 

Ah apologies, I didn't quite understand your post. But we're in agreement.
DDC, this is clearly an error, either on Devin's part or on Zack's (and I don't know how Devin managed to pick up on a couple of Dan's lines being cut, and not this), but if it turns out to be the latter could you ask Zack about it at the Q&A?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 508 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 26  Next