WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:22 am 
The Watcher

Dave Gibbons answers some of the most pressing fan questions about the comic and dishes details of his Watchmen movie screening.
http://www.watchmencomicmovie.com/110308-watchmen-movie-dave-gibbons.php

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:39 am 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

Wooohoo!

I'd completely forgotten this was up for today!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:48 am 
Gazing into the abyss.

Nice, thought the Arabic saying put that particular point in perspective. Looking forward to seeing the opening more now.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:09 pm 
I DID IT!

I was hoping we'd get a little more from the Rorschach-awkward-handshake question. I guess Rorschach's sexuality remains an object of speculation/interpretation for the foreseeable future.

Very cool interview, though. I'm reassured by Dave's discussion of his opinion of the film.

"Under no circumstances should anyone encourage the ordinary person to be funny."
--Bob Mackey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:13 pm 
Gazing into the abyss.

Circusdog wrote:
I was hoping we'd get a little more from the Rorschach-awkward-handshake question. I guess Rorschach's sexuality remains an object of speculation/interpretation for the foreseeable future.

Very cool interview, though. I'm reassured by Dave's discussion of his opinion of the film.

He gave his angle on it. What more do you want? What's this obsession with Rorschach being gay anyway?

He rarely bathes, eats nothing but sugar cubes, he is clearly a repressed ho-mo-sex-ual.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:16 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Circusdog wrote:

I was surprised at that question and wondered how much else the asker had not understood about the book. I never thought the handshake had anything to do with his sexuality. Just the handshake of an awkward guy who has no friends.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:41 pm 
A brother to dragons.

Circusdog wrote:

I never understood how anyone could read that scene as saying anything about Rorschach's sexuality. I know this isn't the place to get into that, though.

Great interview, either way.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:44 pm 
I DID IT!

Kingmob wrote:
He gave his angle on it. What more do you want? What's this obsession with Rorschach being gay anyway?

He rarely bathes, eats nothing but sugar cubes, he is clearly a repressed ho-mo-sex-ual.

There's more than one weird little thing in the book that seems to point that way (and there are a lot of things I think point in the opposite direction, too). It's just interesting and adds another lens through which to view Rorschach's actions. Sex and sexuality are Big Things in Watchmen, and with Rorschach, considering his backstory, it's an even bigger thing than it is for everyone else. I think it's a valid question and a valid line of discussion.

That said, Dave's answer to me says that maybe it was never really discussed with Alan while working on the book (I might have expected a little comment if he thought there was anything to Rorschach being gay or was quite certain that he was not gay). And that's fine. I was just hoping he'd have something to tell us about it is all.

"Under no circumstances should anyone encourage the ordinary person to be funny."
--Bob Mackey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:48 pm 
...I am Pagliacci.

great interview... can't wait more 122 days!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:04 pm 
Watchmaker

Amazing interview.

I loved hearing about his chat with Joel Silver.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:14 pm 
Dog Carcass in Alley

VforVacation wrote:
I was surprised at that question and wondered how much else the asker had not understood about the book. I never thought the handshake had anything to do with his sexuality. Just the handshake of an awkward guy who has no friends.

I kind of have to agree here. We even see him do the same thing in a flashback to his early days working with Dan (Dan is shaking Rorschachs hand, while his other hand looks to be trying to free himself from his grip). Maybe I'm being petty because my question wasn't asked, (actually, that is probably the case), but this question wasn't one I was dying to know the answer to. I kind of thought it was obvious it was just due to him being socially awkward.

"Heard them Walthers like to jump some" "As will you, with one in your elbow."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:18 pm 
...I am Pagliacci.

Rorsach wrote:
Amazing interview.

I loved hearing about his chat with Joel Silver.

hahaha yes! that part was great.

joel: woah doc manhattan doc manhattan we SHOULD put Arnold to play this role, with lots of guns and explosions and stuff!

alan and dave: :shock: :| :roll:

I really would like to see Alan's face during this chat with Joel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:19 pm 
Minuteman

Great interview! Very interesting, both the questions and the answers. I'm glad that there are people here who could think of way better things to ask than me. A joy to read, and thanks a million for scoring the chance to do this interview, DDC!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:30 pm 
I DID IT!

Excellent interview there, thanks DDC.
I knew I was looking forward to something today but had forgotten what it was :)

It's good to know that Dave was asked to comment on an early draft of the script and wasn't just treated as a visual consultant.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:32 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Very much enjoyed the series and the deliberation of Mr. Gibbons' answers to the movie questions. I Appreciated his thorough effort for proper word choices :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:41 pm 
Existence is random.

That was great interview. :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:53 pm 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

FANTASTIC!!

Okay, maybe I'm biased because my question was chosen (thanks Curi and DDC!), but that interview really lived up to Curi's hype!
Its great that Gibbons himself has cleared up our debate over the Comedian's death...we were all wrong and all right :D
Love that arabic saying...
When I asked my question I wasn't expecting an answer that long!! :D
Juicy stuff in there!

"I’m not going to say anything that’s going to give away specific questions about what’s in or what’s out, because I don’t really think that’s helpful to anybody."

I think he's been reading the board some more! Now that I think about it, he's probably right... if we comprehensively found out tomorrow for example that the squid isn't in, most of us would be angry! But none of us would have any idea whether the replacement ending would work and, because no-one related to the film can possibly go into details explaining publicly why the squidless ending works, we wouldn't know until the film's released! So what we'd get is 4 months of people moaning about how the film is going to be awful...
Alternatively, you can choose to interpret Gibbons' words as saying the squid as out...but he wouldn't recommend you do

"Some scenes aren’t."

It's pretty inevitable...does that mean that a few of the best scenes in the comic are going to be cut? He says that a lot of his favourite scenes are in, but the film wouldn't make sense if it was just a "best of Watchmen"...He names the Black Freighter, but I think he's trying to avoid naming what we don't already know has been cut...see above...

"There are scenes in the movie that weren’t in the graphic novel."

Don't know what to think of this...I was hoping that the new stuff would be limited to the opening montage, but apparently not... I can trust Zack and co. that the new scenes are necessary, though....

I'm very glad to hear that Zack's apparently nailed the uniqueness of the eras..."very clearly identifiable" sounds great... I'm sure they'd have to do more than a comic to do this, because there's no benefit of turning back a page or two here... if Zack's achieved the clarity Dave is talking about, I'll be very happy... DDC, do Gibbons' words ring true to you having seen Chapter 4 in film? Is he exxagerating a little, or is his praise deserved?

It's good to hear about the performances...dear old Malin won't be crap according to Dave, so that's good news...(neither will Goode, for those that dislike him)
I would love to see a powerhouse performance or two, though, so I'm hoping Dave is merely trying to protect the feelings of those who aren't JEH for example... ;)

So all in all, it sounds like we're going to be very pleased with the full product, even if there'll be a couple of changes at specific points...
Quite refreshing that the legend who is Dave Gibbons is saying that they don't really matter...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:03 pm 
A pretty butterfly.

Awesome! I wasn't expecting my question to be chosen. Mr. Gibbons' answer gave me a whole new way of viewing Blake's murder. The Arabic saying really drove the point home. Needless to say I'm pretty happy that Snyder chose to have Blake fight back and to actually show it.

I'm Sean Bourke, for those curious.

And...

Quote:
So rest easy. Rest easy, WatchmenComicMovie.com people, I really don’t think you’re going to be disappointed. I certainly wasn’t.

Easily the most reassuring thing I've heard about the film. I, for one, trust Gibbon's judgment. If he was very happy with the film I'm fairly confident that I'll be happy.

Thanks, DDC and Curiosity Inc., for getting this fantastic 3-part interview.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:12 pm 
The Watcher

AYBGerrardo wrote:
DDC, do Gibbons' words ring true to you having seen Chapter 4 in film? Is he exxagerating a little, or is his praise deserved?

Everything I've seen so far has me excited for this movie. I haven't seen anything yet that has me worried.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:21 pm 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

DoomsdayClock wrote:
AYBGerrardo wrote:
DDC, do Gibbons' words ring true to you having seen Chapter 4 in film? Is he exxagerating a little, or is his praise deserved?

Everything I've seen so far has me excited for this movie. I haven't seen anything yet that has me worried.

While that's great to hear, I was referring to the effectiveness of jumping from one time period to another... Dave suggests that it's very clear, I was wondering if you got the same impression...
I'm wondering if they managed to do it without confusing the uninitiated....