WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:09 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Here's an interview of Alan Moore I stumbled across on YouTube, discussing about his thoughts on superheroes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a72aqEwjYOg

From 3:27 onwards, Moore talks about Batman, and how if he exists in the real world, he'll be like Rorschach. Warning to Batman fans though, Moore doesn't use very kind words when talking about Batman. :P

There are quite a few hilarious moments in the interview, like one when he was approached by a Rorschach fan:

I have forgotten that actually to a lot of comic fans, 'smelly', 'not having a girlfriend', these are actually kind of heroic! So Rorschach actually became the most popular character in Watchmen, when I meant him to be a bad example. But I have people come up to me saying, "I AM Rorschach! That is MY story!" And I'll be thinking, "Ya great. Could you just like, keep away from me, never come anywhere near me again as long as I live." :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:38 am 
I DID IT!

Nostalgia wrote:
I have forgotten that actually to a lot of comic fans, 'smelly', 'not having a girlfriend', these are actually kind of heroic! So Rorschach actually became the most popular character in Watchmen, when I meant him to be a bad example. But I have people come up to me saying, "I AM Rorschach! That is MY story!" And I'll be thinking, "Ya great. Could you just like, keep away from me, never come anywhere near me again as long as I live." :lol:

Haha! That's wonderful. Oh Alan Moore, you delightfully snarky bastard. :D

I like Rorschach and I still don't get why there are people who want to be him either. The second I hear someone say they like how Rorschach handles things or that they agree with his views, I will begin making my way toward the other side of the room, thanks.

"Under no circumstances should anyone encourage the ordinary person to be funny."
--Bob Mackey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:53 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Circusdog wrote:
Haha! That's wonderful. Oh Alan Moore, you delightfully snarky bastard. :D

I like Rorschach and I still don't get why there are people who want to be him either. The second I hear someone say they like how Rorschach handles things or that they agree with his views, I will begin making my way toward the other side of the room, thanks.

My feelings exactly. I think these are people who are getting off on the adolescent power fantasy of being able to anonymously scare people and break their fingers, and failing to notice that Moore is actually sending up the notion of vigilante violence.

Rorschach is definitely a de-glammed, morally-confused version of Batman, although I don't think he's necessarily as far down as the vigilante rabbit-hole goes. One could imagine all historical and fictional vigilantes as existing on a line going from the comparative moral uprightness of the '70s-era post-camp/pre-Dark Knight Batman all the way down to characters like Travis Bickle or real-life nuts like Bernie Goetz or the KKK at the bottom. Personally, I think Rorschach would lurk somewhere in the middle of this line -- he's certainly de-romanticized from the Batman ideal, but he's still not as destructive as some of the real-life freakshows that have come along over the years.

But speaking of Batman, I wonder what Moore thinks of Frank Miller's "The Goddamn Batman!" from All Star B&R.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:02 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

DrFünkehattan wrote:
But speaking of Batman, I wonder what Moore thinks of Frank Miller's "The Goddamn Batman!" from All Star B&R.

Not a lot, I hope. If he's read it, that is. It's god-awful.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:45 pm 
Crimebuster

Not to bring back old boards but if im not mistaken Alan may have just put the "Rorschach is gay" thing to rest. When he was talking about how Batman would be in real life and how he used those thoughts to form Rorschach he said how he would smell, have stilted speech, and not have time for a girlfriend. I dont know, it may not be very specific but Alan reveals his basic guidelines for the character. I mean its not like he said if but man were real hed be a secret homosexual! ... I dont know just a thought.

Rorschach, 1985 wrote:
I mean its not like he said if but man were real hed be a secret homosexual!

"batman" not "but man", lol if buttman were real he probably would be gay :mrgreen:. Worst typo EVER!