WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 418 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:29 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Plot points I guess are fine, as long as we don't add too much about them. Here's a good Roger Ebert quote on trailers: "Trailers. Have nothing to do with them. Gene Siskel hated them so much he would stand outside a theater until they were over. If he was already seated in the middle of a crowded theater, he would shout "fire!" plug his ears and stare at the floor. Trailers love to spoil all the best gags in a comedy, hint at plot twists in a thriller, and make every film, however dire, look upbeat.."

As long as we don't break any of those rules we're good to go.

EDIT: AYBGerrardo's outline sounds awesome, I would suggest though to have this line right before Veidt's: We were supposed to make the world a better place (Dan). We should also make it sound echoey, there are plenty of free programs that can do this pretty easily.

This TV spot is pretty good, click here to check it out. Your trailer was pretty similar to that near the end, or at least I got the same vibe.

Technically you really don't need plot elements, it depends on what kind of trailer you want to make. A teaser trailer, like the first Watchmen trailer, is just there to make the movie look damn cool. Loads of people loved the first trailer, and no one knew what the hell it was about. It didn't have many themes either, but man was it cool. I think we're gunning for something more like the theatrical trailer (based on the outlines). Which is fine too. Maybe something with a good balance between cold war, and assassination, even if only for the fact Snyder already nailed the pure assassination angle.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:41 am 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

InfinityQuantum wrote:
Your trailer was pretty similar to that near the end, or at least I got the same vibe.

Heh yeah it's hard to tell when you're being influenced by what you've seen before. Looking back up the thread I just saw my idea to open the trailer is almost exactly the same as Dog Carcass's! Curi's ideas, great though they were, seemed to me like a pick-and-mix from the official trailers. Even your echo suggestion was exactly the same as the TV spot you linked to :D

InfinityQuantum wrote:
I think we're gunning for something more like the theatrical trailer (based on the outlines).

Yup, or more specifically a Red-Band third trailer had there ever been one. I think we should deliberately include some of the gorier shots from the film, because it really gets across the message that it's not a normal superhero movie. But the task of picking them comes later... in a bit I'll go through the second half of the film and pick out some more ready-isolated dialogue. Then I'll read through everyone's suggestions here to avoid the embarrassment of accidentally stealing their ideas again(!)

Meantime, does anyone who has the DVD think they could rip in the audio track? I'll find some freeware for that and I can't imagine the process taking more than a couple of hours... pleeeeeeeeassssssee...? ;)

Last edited by AYBGerrardo on Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:56 am 

I couldn't find as many suitable lines in the second half of the film, but that's understandable as there are spoilers to avoid and it's at the beginning of the film that the plot and themes are established...

But here's some lines that we could use:

'We don't do this...thing...'cos it's permitted. We do it because we have to. We do it because we're compelled.'
1:41:00
This is Kovacs in prison, of course, so we can't show him saying it but it'd be good as a voice over perhaps. Especially over some violent clips (e.g. Knot Top alley), again it's the not-your-average-superhero angle... Also if it's too long it could be abbreviated fairly easily at the cost of some of its dramatic impact...

'God doesn't make the world this way. We do.'
1:49:50
Same as above.

'I'm tired of being afraid.... afraid of war... afraid of the mask killer... and afraid of this goddamn suit, and how much I need it.'
1:56:45
I think we pretty much have to use this one - it ties together the Cold War and the superheroes in one sentence. The way I imagine it, we could use it as a voice over ('afraid of war' over either the nuclear explosion in his dream or the Jonergy in New York, 'afraid of the mask killer' could be over any of them being attacked) then it cuts to the video (with him facing his costume) for the last part.

'You have to stop this. Everyone will die.'
'And the Universe will not even notice.'
2:27:30
Nuclear War is a real threat, but Dr M's reply is a real hook.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:05 am 
Alien Squid Monster

AYBGerrardo wrote:
I couldn't find as many suitable lines in the second half of the film, but that's understandable as there are spoilers to avoid and it's at the beginning of the film that the plot and themes are established...

But here's some lines that we could use:

'We don't do this...thing...'cos it's permitted. We do it because we have to. We do it because we're compelled.'
1:41:00
This is Kovacs in prison, of course, so we can't show him saying it but it'd be good as a voice over perhaps. Especially over some violent clips (e.g. Knot Top alley), again it's the not-your-average-superhero angle... Also if it's too long it could be abbreviated fairly easily at the cost of some of its dramatic impact...

'God doesn't make the world this way. We do.'
1:49:50
Same as above.

'I'm tired of being afraid.... afraid of war... afraid of the mask killer... and afraid of this goddamn suit, and how much I need it.'
1:56:45
I think we pretty much have to use this one - it ties together the Cold War and the superheroes in one sentence. The way I imagine it, we could use it as a voice over ('afraid of war' over either the nuclear explosion in his dream or the Jonergy in New York, 'afraid of the mask killer' could be over any of them being attacked) then it cuts to the video (with him facing his costume) for the last part.

'You have to stop this. Everyone will die.'
'And the Universe will not even notice.'
2:27:30
Nuclear War is a real threat, but Dr M's reply is a real hook.

Sounds good! Right now I just started ripping the audio, so it'll be done in a couple of hours.

EDIT: The codecs in Premiere Pro are acting up, so I guess I won't be able to extract the audio, anyone else wanna give a shot at it?

Last edited by InfinityQuantum on Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:10 am 

Awesome, thanks! You're getting the 5.1 right?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:17 am 
Alien Squid Monster

AYBGerrardo wrote:
Awesome, thanks! You're getting the 5.1 right?

:cry: Adobe premier pro for some reason isn't displaying the watchmen footage properly. I know it has something to do with codecs, until I get figure out how to fix it, someone else is going to need to rip the audio.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:23 pm 

Here's a free trial that I've tested and the result is reasonably good (once you've isolated the right channel you can still hear music etc but it's a lot quieter, much like that isolated audio from the trailers pack released for that fan trailer contest). I think perhaps that's as good as we can get. If someone with the DVD does the following, we'll see what we can do.

1. Download and install:
http://www.castudio.org/download.php
2. Run and click Register Later
3. On the left tick the Title with the proper run time - for Watchmen this'll be 03:06:00 or thereabouts. Below, make sure a 6ch track is selected. Then with the ticked title selected, tick a chapter with music we want the dialogue from and hit next.
4. Set output format to OGG. Under channels, select 5.1 Surround (IMPORTANT!). Here you'll get an estimate of how big the file will be. For one scene it should be pretty small. Hit next.
5. Untick Create M3U playlist. Choose an output location so you'll know where to find the file. Hit next
6. Click Start and wait.
7. Email me the OGG and I'll work my magic :)

So if you'd be so kind as to do the Comedian vs Veidt fight scene, I'll see if I can separate "Just a matter of time I suppose" etc and the sound effects from Unforgettable...
Thanks v much :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:02 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Does it work for Blu-Ray?

EDIT: Checked the link, I'm guessing it doesn't. Luckily I have a friend who has the DVD version, I think he's out of town atm, but he should be back soon.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:28 pm 

Can't someone help a fellow Watchfan out here? Anyone? :)
It'd only take 5 minutes!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:12 pm 
Tired of Earth.

so i just saw this today, the syncing is pretty good, even though i don't like one piece

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPnEtFi- ... grec_index

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:04 pm 
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.

i want to make a trailer. doing short character homages/intros (10 seconds per character) then capping it off with "who will save us now?" *superimpose* WATCHMEN

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:01 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

found this pretty well made

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X65e1HR6IvY

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:20 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Project862006 wrote:

i stopped when requiem for a dream came on. everything up to that point was superb, and definitely should have been used for the film, which i felt kinda failed to keep the cold war bit in unless it was straight up mentioned.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:10 am 
Alien Squid Monster

Made this the other night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gDcmCFpfaE

Let me know what you guys think!

It was more of an experiment in editing then trying to capture the mood of the book. None the less I still like it.

I might make a few more if anyone has suggestions on music or something.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:38 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

Thorni52 wrote:

It was more of an experiment in editing then trying to capture the mood of the book. None the less I still like it.

Pretty good !

Probably needs a little smoothness to some of the cuts, and I would've just had The Comedian's "speech" at the beginning as voice-over for the next scenes, just a suggestion.

Other than that, I loved Rorschach's memorable line right at the end !

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:53 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

feliciano182 wrote:
Thorni52 wrote:

Pretty good !

Probably needs a little smoothness to some of the cuts, and I would've just had The Comedian's "speech" at the beginning as voice-over for the next scenes, just a suggestion.

Other than that, I loved Rorschach's memorable line right at the end !

Thanks man. Yeah it was hard because sometimes the score gets in the way of the dialogue and it's hard to drown that background noise out.

Back when the film was getting released they had a Trailer contest and there was this site that allowed you to download the individual files of each trailer, tv spot , etc.. I think it got taken down though so I just used a downloaded cut of the movie to put that together.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:10 am 
I don't think there is a god. And if there is I'm nothing like him.

I got the urge to make another one after seeing the pretty awesome one above.

Its not as good, but given the fact it was made in under an hour on WMM, I think its okay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc1h9Sev ... e=youtu.be

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:23 am 
Tired of Earth.

this reminds me, i've always been meaning to make one of these, i had it all perfectly planned out, too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 418 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21