WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

What do you think of MCR's "Desolation Row" Cover?
Love it. 19%  19%  [ 21 ]
Ehhh. 43%  43%  [ 46 ]
Hate it. 38%  38%  [ 41 ]
Total votes : 108
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:47 am 
Nothing ever ends.

Someone posted it on youtube again. Let's see how long it stays up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VYHFjCXxwU

If done right, I think I'd be ok with this...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:27 pm 
Minuteman

Sue me. I like it. Rorschaches Journal is an image of future anarchy.

ANARCHY!!!

Music fits that perfectly.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:47 pm 
New Frontiersman

egosheep wrote:
I'm disappointed that it had to be a new song, with a new music video all that goes with it.

Whats wrong with using a song that fits as best as possible?

Nothing, but then you can't have any cross-product promotion. It's no coincidence that MCR is with Warners... it's not like Snyder randomly picked this band to create a song out of everyone out there in the world.

-Bill Watterson

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:18 pm 
Vigilante

Well, ever since I heard the news about MCR doing "Desolation Row", for the end credits I've been extremely dubious about it. At the time it was announced, someone posted a Youtube clip of them doing it live and I thought it was truly awful. But having listened to the above clip I actually thought it wasn't too bad - very different to the original but any good cover should be. And I understand what Mr. Pain and others say about this working ala "Goodfellas". It would be jarring but it might just work.

However the "Watchmen" GN ends with a song quote from John Cale's "Sanities", which in my opinion would work just as well, if not better. And as for my thoughts on where to use Dylan's original "Desolation Row" .....

TelepathicCephalopod wrote:
Long before My Chemical Romance existed, or I knew what Watchmen was, Highway 61 Revisited was one of my favorite albums. Desolation Road closed it out perfectly. I wish they'd end with the real version.
I always thought if they were going to make a movie, they could condense some time by starting the movie with Blake's attack, and the second Blake hits the ground, start Desolation Row, and splice together history, Dan talking with Hollis (with dialogue over the music), history, the detective banter, history, Rorschach's journal, history, Rorschach in his proper position for the "at midnight" line, Rorschach's investigation spliced with Dan leaving Hollis', history, Dan arriving home and noticing the lock at the line, "around the time the doorknob broke," carefully looking around his place, and looking in the kitchen door as the lyrical part of the song ends, and cue music fade at the line, "Rorschach?" That takes eleven minutes plus four for the fight, another five for the dialogue between Rorschach and Dan , and in twenty minutes, Rorschach's already off to Happy Harry's. That's roughly the span of time it takes in the movie, supposedly, right?

What he said.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:19 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

As a song, I like it. I normally hate MCR but it doesn't sound like them, so I could roll with it. If the movie ends anything like the book, I don't see how it could work but ya never know. I dug the use of "Sympathy With the Devil" at the end of V For Vendetta, so if it works like that, it could work. But I'm not going in expecting it to work. At least it doesn't happen during the movie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:34 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

MrEgotistical wrote:
As a song, I like it. I normally hate MCR but it doesn't sound like them, so I could roll with it. If the movie ends anything like the book, I don't see how it could work but ya never know. I dug the use of "Sympathy With the Devil" at the end of V For Vendetta, so if it works like that, it could work. But I'm not going in expecting it to work. At least it doesn't happen during the movie

Wasn't it "Street Fighting Man"? And I believe they used the Stones' original version, right?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:37 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

It was Street Fighting Man, and it was indeed the original one.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:11 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Whoops, mistook the 2 songs. But yeah, I meant Street Fighting Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:27 pm 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

Walter K. wrote:
However the "Watchmen" GN ends with a song quote from John Cale's "Sanities", which in my opinion would work just as well, if not better. And as for my thoughts on where to use Dylan's original "Desolation Row" .....

Long before My Chemical Romance existed, or I knew what Watchmen was, Highway 61 Revisited was one of my favorite albums. Desolation Road closed it out perfectly. I wish they'd end with the real version.

What he said.

Yeah, but sadly, he said 'Desolation Road'.

I love John Cale. Two of my favourite concerts were Cale shows. 'Sanities' is a chilling piece of nightmare pretending to be a song, and I would have loved to hear the lyrics in the film... but as film music, I don't think so. Well, it would work for a particular kind of sequence. There are long, long seconds between sounds, and long pauses between delivery of the chunks of lyrics. You'd get a fragment into a Hollywood movie, but never the whole thing.

And as for using the whole Dylan song, there's already a whole Dylan song for the opening sequence. If there was another long sequence set to an early period Dylan tune it'd start to feel like 'Here's Watchmen... set to the words and music of Bob!'.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:34 pm 
Vigilante

Mister Pain wrote:
Napoleon Wilson wrote:
Rancid isn't NEW anything, man. They peaked in the late '90's--their time is beyond over.

Indeed. But they will keep trying, instead of just... going the hell away.

I really could not have said it any better myself. Nice, MP.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:21 am 
Alien Squid Monster

knowthyself wrote:
Sue me. I like it. Rorschaches Journal is an image of future anarchy.

ANARCHY!!!

Music fits that perfectly.

I'm gonna agree. This song is growing on me more and more with each play (and I've listened to it a ridiculous amount of times).

It does fit very well for the impending anarchy and chaos that awaits with the publication of the journal. The song is crazy and energetic. A good fit.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:31 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

They just hired a popular band to do a punk song to fit with the 80s era. The fact that it's originally Dylan sort of ties it to the GN, but really it's just a chance for Warner to make people talk about their band. Mission accomplished.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:39 pm 
...I am Pagliacci.

I can't help myself but to think that this is a generic cover made by a generic band.

The only revolution that My Chemical Romance can cause is in teenagers hairstyle.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:51 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

I heard it today on the radio... I like the sound of punk but for this song it is a terrible, terrible call

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:23 pm 
...I am Pagliacci.

Personaly, I am a fan of MCR and believe it or not enjoyed the cover, I think the lines did fit Alan Moores novel when looked at seperately BUT if this song came on directly after then ending I would be confused. >_>;;

I think it will be a fine ending song if they do a slower song and ease into this one, but we'll have to see. :)

Though reading your post's talking about anarchy and ect. KINDA makes it make sence, but I do not agree with people calling MCR genaric. They have put out some pretty cool songs and albums. Sure they may not be as original and intersesting as Say the Dresden Doll's, but they are not genaric in my humble opinion, genaric would be something along the lines of Hanna Montana or The Jonas Bros. Be glad they picked a semi decent band I say!

I know a 17 year old's opinion may not mean much but I hope you take some of my ideas into concideration. :geek:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:30 pm 
Tired of Earth.

well, after finally listening to it, i like it as a single. definitely works to be played at the credits - the only place they're using it in the movie.

Manuel wrote:
I can't help myself but to think that this is a generic cover made by a generic band.

The only revolution that My Chemical Romance can cause is in teenagers hairstyle.

QFT.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:38 pm 

WJK wrote:
well, after finally listening to it, i like it as a single. definitely works to be played at the credits - the only place they're using it in the movie.

Manuel wrote:

QFT.

That's actually a major revolution. That and getting guys to wear makeup. Bowie would be proud. Remember, when Bowie appeared starrring in Nicholas Roeg's 'The Man Who Fell To Earth', most Americans loathed him, citing that his shallow, effeminate, makeup-wearing hairstyle glitter-rock was inconsequential and frivolous, like his performance, and would never last.

Pop culture keeps moving in circles. It's fun watching the people who don't get it get left behind.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:41 pm 
Tired of Earth.

i quoted that cuz i thought it was funny.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:43 pm 

WJK wrote:
i quoted that cuz i thought it was funny.

Like Homer J. says...
"It's funny because it's true..."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:26 pm 
Vigilante

Mister Pain wrote:
Walter K. wrote:

What he said.

Yeah, but sadly, he said 'Desolation Road'.

Good point. Very clever of you. Of course if you'd have shown the whole quote that I posted you'll see that in the next paragraph he correctly calls it "Desolation Row", so I'm sure it was just a slip of the keyboard - I've made plenty of them in my short time on the Internet, even if you never have. ;)

I always thought if they were going to make a movie, they could condense some time by starting the movie with Blake's attack, and the second Blake hits the ground, start Desolation Row, and splice together history, Dan talking with Hollis (with dialogue over the music), history, the detective banter, history, Rorschach's journal, history, Rorschach in his proper position for the "at midnight" line, Rorschach's investigation spliced with Dan leaving Hollis', history, Dan arriving home and noticing the lock at the line, "around the time the doorknob broke," carefully looking around his place, and looking in the kitchen door as the lyrical part of the song ends, and cue music fade at the line, "Rorschach?" That takes eleven minutes plus four for the fight, another five for the dialogue between Rorschach and Dan , and in twenty minutes, Rorschach's already off to Happy Harry's. That's roughly the span of time it takes in the movie, supposedly, right?

(My emphasis)

Mister Pain wrote:
I love John Cale. Two of my favourite concerts were Cale shows. 'Sanities' is a chilling piece of nightmare pretending to be a song, and I would have loved to hear the lyrics in the film... but as film music, I don't think so. Well, it would work for a particular kind of sequence. There are long, long seconds between sounds, and long pauses between delivery of the chunks of lyrics. You'd get a fragment into a Hollywood movie, but never the whole thing.

I also like Cale. "Music For A New Society" is one of my favourite albums, and "Sanities" is a beautiful piece that fits Watchmen's coda perfectly (which is probably why Moore used it). Start it as Sally opens the door to Laurie and Dan - the opening lines seem particularly apt here:

She was so afraid
Since her mother, white with time,
Told her
She was a failure.

Then play it over the rest of the scene in the background, and the following scene with Seymour , fading it up at the end so we get:

All so that it would be a stronger world
A strong though loving world
to die in.

as the ketchup drips down Seymour's shirt, and his hand hovers over the crank file....

Well it works in my head anyway. :)

Mister Pain wrote:
And as for using the whole Dylan song, there's already a whole Dylan song for the opening sequence. If there was another long sequence set to an early period Dylan tune it'd start to feel like 'Here's Watchmen... set to the words and music of Bob!'.

Well that brings us (eventually!) back to the point of my original post, and the reason I quoted Telepathic Cephalapod's musings about "Desolation Row" in the first place. If you use "Desolation Row" instead of "The Times They Are A-Changin'" at the beginning of the film (closer to where it was used in the book), then you can use "Sanities" at the end, making the film more faithful. Snyder himself has said that they had problems making "The Times They Are A-Changin'" fit because it was too short for the montage - not a problem with the 11 minute "Desolation Row" I feel.

I know, I know, it's pathetic nit-picking, but "Watchmen" is so close to my heart, and I've had this vision in my head for 20 years of how it should be filmed (like a few other people here I bet) and every deviation from it is really painful to bear. And Snyder and Co. have got so much right! The look of the film is fantastic! But while I know much of the visual detail is there, it seems they've been more cavalier with the writing side of things - especially the dialogue (maybe that's Moore's fault for not getting involved, I don't know.)

It's just that while parts of "V for Vendetta" were well done other bits were excruciating to sit through because of how much they deviated from the spirit of the original. I don't want to experience that feeling again while watching "Watchmen"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9