WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next

What do you think of MCR's "Desolation Row" Cover?
Love it. 19%  19%  [ 21 ]
Ehhh. 43%  43%  [ 46 ]
Hate it. 38%  38%  [ 41 ]
Total votes : 108
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:34 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

sounds like bad green day, I couldn't care less...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:08 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Kingmob wrote:
Can't say I love it, but it doesn't sound too much like the more commercial emo MCR stuff. Got enough rock in it to make it more than tolerable and I think a punky track is perfect for the way I see the film ending. It's a Scorsese ending.

Never thought I'd agree with Kingmob on anything (Have we, before?) but I do. I don't hate the song, but I don't like it either but I can see it fitting for some kind of Scorsese-type ending. Hopefully it's edited perfectly so it can work that way.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:29 pm 
New Frontiersman

Honestly, as much as I dislike MCR, it's not a bad song, in and of itself - mostly because I know what they were trying to accomplish in how they've adapted the song.

However, the only way I think it'll work is if - like Kingmob suggests - it's used a la Scorsese.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:06 pm 
Vigilante

yo, i hear someone found the full version of MCR's Desolation Row. Is it true? I can't find it anywhere, so i hope that guy's not bluffing. I'm not going to request the mp3 but can whoever that lucky user is please send me a pm saying WHERE he found it or at least a link? Thanks!

Rorshack101

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:29 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

namuras wrote:
Well, now I got it in mp3 :)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WFDGQ4DF

I didn't check the link, because I don't want this song, but this was posted on page three for all those wondering

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:30 pm 
Vigilante

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
namuras wrote:
Well, now I got it in mp3 :)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WFDGQ4DF

I didn't check the link, because I don't want this song, but this was posted on page three for all those wondering

no, that's the 30-second preview from youtube. i was talking about the full song in mp3 format. Someone mentioned on page 4 of this thread that he has it, but is too big of a Scrooge to share the link with us.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:32 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Long before My Chemical Romance existed, or I knew what Watchmen was, Highway 61 Revisited was one of my favorite albums. Desolation Road closed it out perfectly. I wish they'd end with the real version.
I always thought if they were going to make a movie, they could condense some time by starting the movie with Blake's attack, and the second Blake hits the ground, start Desolation Row, and splice together history, Dan talking with Hollis (with dialogue over the music), history, the detective banter, history, Rorschach's journal, history, Rorschach in his proper position for the "at midnight" line, Rorschach's investigation spliced with Dan leaving Hollis', history, Dan arriving home and noticing the lock at the line, "around the time the doorknob broke," carefully looking around his place, and looking in the kitchen door as the lyrical part of the song ends, and cue music fade at the line, "Rorschach?" That takes eleven minutes plus four for the fight, another five for the dialogue between Rorschach and Dan , and in twenty minutes, Rorschach's already off to Happy Harry's. That's roughly the span of time it takes in the movie, supposedly, right?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:36 pm 
A pretty butterfly.

Rorshack101 wrote:
yo, i hear someone found the full version of MCR's Desolation Row. Is it true? I can't find it anywhere, so i hope that guy's not bluffing. I'm not going to request the mp3 but can whoever that lucky user is please send me a pm saying WHERE he found it or at least a link? Thanks!

Rorshack101

Yo, that be AYBGerrardo. He ain't sharing, though.

If I had to venture a guess I'd say check a site that has to do with pirates and bays.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:42 pm 
Vigilante

Sasso wrote:
Rorshack101 wrote:

Rorshack101

Yo, that be AYBGerrardo. He ain't sharing, though.

If I had to venture a guess I'd say check a site that has to do with pirates and bays.

just sent him a pm asking why he's being a jerk as to not saying where he got it from. I'll let you guys know if he says anything.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:44 pm 
Vigilante

AYBGerrardo wrote:
Smiley wrote:
AYBGerrardo wrote:
I've found the full mp3. But I think I'll keep it to myself.

PM it to me.

Didn't you hear me? The answer's no.

FLARG YOU AND THE HORSE YOU CAME ON! He was just asking nicely and you blow him off! It's gonna be released sooner or later, so just spill it!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:00 pm 
Tired of Earth.

Rorshack101 wrote:
FLARG YOU AND THE HORSE YOU CAME ON! He was just asking nicely and you blow him off! It's gonna be released sooner or later, so just spill it!

You're not going to find it here, Rorshack. This site and this forum will not be used for pirating the Watchmen movie or any songs from the soundtrack.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:02 pm 
Vigilante

Curiosity Inc. wrote:
Rorshack101 wrote:

You're not going to find it here, Rorshack. This site and this forum will not be used for pirating the Watchmen movie or any songs from the soundtrack.

fair enough :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:23 pm 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

videodrone wrote:

Bad Green Day=good punk rock.

Most of you whiners are either lil' kids who have probably never bothered to listen to the roots of punk, from the late 60's garage movement onwards, and DEFINITELY not to the Sex Pistols era punk that this version is a very good emulation of (Steve Jones' power-chordin' is beautifully revisited here... maybe he guested?). If you had, you wouldn't be complaining. It's perfect for the period NYC of this part of the film, and as a capstone for the last shot. The rest of you sound like old hippies, clinging to Dylan originals like sad ol' housetruckers re-living the past.

Aside from this, there's a Dylan original over the opening titles, ending the film with another Dylan original recording would be lame.

I would have been way happier, mind you, if it was covered by the Fall.

Bob Dylan's favourite version of 'All Along the Watchtower' is Hendrix's live sonic workout. At the time, Dylan fans HATED it. Dylan said 'Now that's how that song's sposed to sound'.
Nice choice, Snyder, good work MCR.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:25 pm 
Nothing ever ends.

Mister Pain wrote:
...there's a Dylan original over the opening titles, ending the film with another Dylan original recording would be lame.

I'd call it a "fitting bookend", actually.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:27 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

I'm not much of a fan of Dylan unless it's a cover (All Along the Watchtower by Hendrix and RT4 are amazing), but I'm not liking MCR's much better. Oh well though; not a biggie. It's not like I stay for the credits or anything.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:33 pm 
...I am Pagliacci.

Mister Pain wrote:
Most of you whiners are either lil' kids who have probably never bothered to listen to the roots of punk, from the late 60's garage movement onwards, and DEFINITELY not to the Sex Pistols era punk that this version is a very good emulation of (Steve Jones' power-chordin' is beautifully revisited here... maybe he guested?). If you had, you wouldn't be complaining. It's perfect for the period NYC of this part of the film, and as a capstone for the last shot. The rest of you sound like old hippies, clinging to Dylan originals like sad ol' housetruckers re-living the past.

Aside from this, there's a Dylan original over the opening titles, ending the film with another Dylan original recording would be lame.

Bob Dylan's favourite version of 'All Along the Watchtower' is Hendrix's live sonic workout. At the time, Dylan fans HATED it. Dylan said 'Now that's how that song's sposed to sound'.

I would be forced to disagree here. It doesn't matter if MCR gets the stylistic elements right, or if it fits the time period. The fact is, punk does not fit Watchmen. There's nothing remotely punk about it. And I sort of resent being called an old hippie. I'm 23. That, I think, allows me to compare Dylan and MCR objectively as opposed to die-hard fans who've defended him vigorously for decades.

And I think starting and ending the film with Dylan songs - sung by Dylan - would fit the book's themes of symmetry, instead of being "lame."

I agree about the song being covered by the Fall.

But I disagree about Snyder making a nice choice. You can say what you will about MCR. But I think it's a horrible decision for the movie.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:37 pm 

HappyHarry wrote:
Mister Pain wrote:
...there's a Dylan original over the opening titles, ending the film with another Dylan original recording would be lame.

I'd call it a "fitting bookend", actually.

I'd call it a 'default, unworked idea with it's heart in the right place, that obviously hadn't had a proper visualisation or think-through as to whether it works dramatically in the context of the action '.

And the Top-Knots, are they not... slightly... punk? Are not MCR playing Pale Horse in the music video of the song?
Nice.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:40 pm 
...I am Pagliacci.

Mister Pain wrote:
And the Top-Knots, are they not... slightly... punk? Are not MCR playing Pale Horse in the music video of the song?
Nice.

The Top-Knots don't end the movie. It would be jarring.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:46 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

Mister Pain wrote:
videodrone wrote:

Bad Green Day=good punk rock.

I grew up listening to punk bands ranging from Dead Kennedys, Bad Brains and Conflict, to The Clash, and yeah, even Green Day (from way back in the Lookout! days). I don't personally like MCR's version, but that aside, my biggest gripe with not just using the original song is that its anachronistic. My Chemical Romance, much like The Smashing Pumpkins, didn't exist in the mid-80's, and to maintain the feel, I think they should only use music that existed up to that point.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:49 pm 

Ominick wrote:
Mister Pain wrote:
Nice.

The Top-Knots don't end the movie. It would be jarring.

Reckon? NYC is visited by an apocalyptic disaster in the vicinity of Madison Square Gardens while Pale Horse are playing.. in the GN we see piles of fan's corpses spilling onto the street. You can bet your booties the prescence of MCR will have been attached to Pale Horse at some stage earlier in the film (in the GN, the lead singer is on tv at one point, just before Veidts acrobatic display?). Sounding better all the time, to me.

It would be anachronistic if MCR were playing/sounding like themselves. They aren't. They are Pale Horse. Read the thread about the music video.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next