WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

What do you think of MCR's "Desolation Row" Cover?
Love it. 19%  19%  [ 21 ]
Ehhh. 43%  43%  [ 46 ]
Hate it. 38%  38%  [ 41 ]
Total votes : 108
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:58 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Ending Goodfellas with a Sid Vicious cover does not, on the surface, seem like a fitting close, either, but that worked out just fine. The combination might seem genuinely perplexing, and borderline retarded, on the surface, but the visual of a downtrodden mafioso getting ready to live his life "as a schnook" matched against the hyper-charged vibe of Vicious' song ended up working quite well. For this reason, not having seen how the synergy between film and music might be cultivated, I don't want to say that this song absolutely cannot, under any circumstances, work to closeout Watchmen.

Last edited by EmPiiRe x on Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:08 pm 
Intrinsic Field Subtractor

It's ok. I'm not a huge fan of listening to Bob Dylan sing his own song, though I like the song. If MCR is Pale Horse...that's pretty cool.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:23 pm 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

this is interesting

http://www.amazon.com/Watchmen-Original ... 370&sr=1-3

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:34 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIBoHaaS ... re=related

This is what SHOULD be the credits song... :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:42 pm 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIBoHaaSz2g&feature=related

This is what SHOULD be the credits song... :twisted:

Love it to bits. But I think arrangement-wise it's too melodic, restful, considered and literary for the wired, messed up, apocalyptic and compromised way events on screen have just turned out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:47 pm 
...you're locked in here with me!

Mister Pain wrote:
Love it to bits. But I think arrangement-wise it's too melodic, restful, considered and literary for the wired, messed up, apocalyptic and compromised way events on screen have just turned out.

that's what makes it perfect, for those who've seen Reservoir Dogs, think of how stunned you were after what just happened and the credits are "You put the lime in Coconut and mix it all up" it's such a perfect juxtaposition of what the people have just seen that it will stick with them for quite some time

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:36 pm 

Dr. Brooklyn wrote:
Mister Pain wrote:

that's what makes it perfect, for those who've seen Reservoir Dogs, think of how stunned you were after what just happened and the credits are "You put the lime in Coconut and mix it all up" it's such a perfect juxtaposition of what the people have just seen that it will stick with them for quite some time

Ok. I PROMISE that when the dvd comes out I will try running the credit sequence against this version of Bob's.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:39 pm 
Thermodynamic Miracle

Mister Pain wrote:
Bad Green Day=good punk rock.

Most of you whiners are either lil' kids who have probably never bothered to listen to the roots of punk, from the late 60's garage movement onwards, and DEFINITELY not to the Sex Pistols era punk that this version is a very good emulation of (Steve Jones' power-chordin' is beautifully revisited here... maybe he guested?). If you had, you wouldn't be complaining. It's perfect for the period NYC of this part of the film, and as a capstone for the last shot. The rest of you sound like old hippies, clinging to Dylan originals like sad ol' housetruckers re-living the past.

Aside from this, there's a Dylan original over the opening titles, ending the film with another Dylan original recording would be lame.

I would have been way happier, mind you, if it was covered by the Fall.

Bob Dylan's favourite version of 'All Along the Watchtower' is Hendrix's live sonic workout. At the time, Dylan fans HATED it. Dylan said 'Now that's how that song's sposed to sound'.
Nice choice, Snyder, good work MCR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16u0wwCfoJ4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXd9OIYL9xM

That's "real punk". My Chemical Romance will never be able to emulate it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:56 am 

Bandy Greensacks wrote:
Mister Pain wrote:

Most of you whiners are either lil' kids who have probably never bothered to listen to the roots of punk, from the late 60's garage movement onwards, and DEFINITELY not to the Sex Pistols era punk that this version is a very good emulation of (Steve Jones' power-chordin' is beautifully revisited here... maybe he guested?). If you had, you wouldn't be complaining. It's perfect for the period NYC of this part of the film, and as a capstone for the last shot. The rest of you sound like old hippies, clinging to Dylan originals like sad ol' housetruckers re-living the past.

Aside from this, there's a Dylan original over the opening titles, ending the film with another Dylan original recording would be lame.

Bob Dylan's favourite version of 'All Along the Watchtower' is Hendrix's live sonic workout. At the time, Dylan fans HATED it. Dylan said 'Now that's how that song's sposed to sound'.

Well, yeah. Those demonstrate two aspects of punk for sure, though I think the Clash's classic Bo Diddley riff on Sonny and the Cricket's 1959 tune is more about paying homage to their influences than anything resembling punk. Maybe the clip for 'London's calling' would have been a better choice. The Clash are arguably the best exponents of Pop-Punk, in that they were all about succeeding in the current music biz, not destroying it.
The 'punk rock' MCR seem to have decided to emulate is the '77 British wave thereof. The Pistols' Steve Jones has been pretty upfront about emulating Johnny Thunders through that whole period, so the NY Dolls influence is actually quite overt there in the MCR tune if you care to listen, particularly in the semi-tone barre-chord slide 4 bar bit after the chorus, and the sound of '77 as defined by the Pistols is all over it bigtime in the double-tracked Gibson wall-of-sound.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:14 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

Speaking of The Clash, does anyone else think that Straight to Hell or Guns of Brixton would've git Watchmen perfectly?

Edit: The Class,pff, I guess I was in serious need of sleep yesterday.

Last edited by TheMovieDude on Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:25 am 
Thermodynamic Miracle

TheMovieDude wrote:
Speaking of The Class, does anyone else think that Straight to Hell or Guns of Brixton would've git Watchmen perfectly?

A lot of songs by The Clash would fit well, really.

This is completely off topic, of course, but I always thought Peter Gabriel's Not One of Us (1980) would fit Watchmen pretty damn well, too. Take a look at the lyrics.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:28 am 

TheMovieDude wrote:
Speaking of The Class, does anyone else think that Straight to Hell or Guns of Brixton would've git Watchmen perfectly?

Yes indeed, 'Straight to Hell' would be great, maybe when Blake is doing the Moloch visits and falling apart.
'Guns of Brixton' has an appropriate mood, but it's so specifically about certain historical events and socio-political situations in Britain that it'd be a hard fit.

Joe Strummer's voice'd fully match Blake's countenance in so many ways.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:32 am 
...I am Pagliacci.

Mister Pain wrote:
['Straight to Hell' would be great, maybe when Blake is doing the Moloch visits and falling apart.

Wow, that would be powerful! Some of the lyrics fit perfectly.

of life to the decoding of the undulation of things."
-Nabokov, "Signs and Symbols"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:29 am 

Warner Bros have had the clip removed. Looks like they have done us all a favour.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:04 am 
Alien Squid Monster

DoomsdayClock wrote:
Just a thought...

Why not use "The Beginning Is The End Is The Beginning" as the end credits song?

1) People love that song from its use in the trailer
2) The title ties in with the end of Watchmen and "Nothing ever ends."

Done.

Speaking of which, wonder if Corgans going to make that music video using the scenes from Watchmen...

Anyway, could I have a link to the article saying Zach Snyder directing the MCR video? The song isn't horrible.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:07 am 
The Watcher

Jman2113 wrote:
DoomsdayClock wrote:
Just a thought...

Why not use "The Beginning Is The End Is The Beginning" as the end credits song?

Done.

Speaking of which, wonder if Corgans going to make that music video using the scenes from Watchmen...

Anyway, could I have a link to the article saying Zach Snyder directing the MCR video? The song isn't horrible.

http://www.watchmencomicmovie.com/12220 ... -video.php

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:29 am 
Gazing into the abyss.

Bandy Greensacks wrote:
Mister Pain wrote:

Well said MisterPain. And Bandy, you just sound like a snob, and not a particularly good one.

Like I said earlier, unless Snyder fudges its placement at the end of the film, this could be great.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:34 am 
Alien Squid Monster

DoomsdayClock wrote:
Jman2113 wrote:
DoomsdayClock wrote:
Just a thought...

Done.

http://www.watchmencomicmovie.com/12220 ... -video.php

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:16 pm 
New Frontiersman

TheMovieDude wrote:

"Straight to Hell", although it is one of my favorite songs, has been destroyed by "Paper Planes" and will leave people only thinking about that song or how it 'took a riff' from M.I.A. -ha!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:35 pm 
Watchmaker

Bandy Greensacks wrote:

That first video is AMAZING.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next