WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:39 am 
Alien Squid Monster

Surely this thread should be merged with the new improved thread DDC made

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:14 am 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

WTF? No way am I looking at the whole opening sequence before I have seen the thing in a cinema. :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:25 am 
The Watcher

Well, WB has had the video pulled. It seems that Motionographer.com did not have clearance from WB to post it. If you missed it, sorry.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:52 am 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

Hooded Justice wrote:
Surely this thread should be merged with the new improved thread DDC made

It should be, and don't call me Shirley.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:50 am 
Alien Squid Monster

Anyone mention this? :)

Edit: Yep they did, but nice for the comparison anyway.

Last edited by Tim12345 on Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:54 am 
Alien Squid Monster

Yojimbo wrote:
ROR-SHACK wrote:
Cool, I just noticed that in the bacgkround of the first Nite Owl shot, you can see Batman #1 (1940) hanging on the wall.

I wonder why they didn't use Superman instead. That would have been more appropriate.

Nite Owl: 'normal' human, gadgets, vehicle.

Batman: 'normal' human, gadgets, vehicles.

Get it?

plus the iconic origin story of young bruce´s parents killed by a robber fits perfectly into the "watchmen" universe and thus into the tile sequence with nite owl I saving "mr. and mrs. wayne".

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:55 am 
Minuteman

The video is still online on one website.
It's not very hard to find, google is your friend.

I just wish I could download it off the internet before it gets taken down.
edit- It's been taken down.

Last edited by GonSmithe on Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:18 pm 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

I downloaded it before lol, but I won't be watching it outside the cinema...

In reply to whoever, I meant the recent one. Apparently the alternative one planned traced James Bond's career (in the navy etc) up to the point that he's in M.I.6...that would have been so much better. If you've ever seen the UK show Hustle you'll know how generic opening titles like the one they used was. It just looked like someone imitating James Bond openings with no budget.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but se7en had amazing opening titles.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:01 pm 
So impotent.

EDIT - NEVER MIND :mrgreen: GRATZI.

Hi there! first time poster, but LONG time watchmen fan. great discussion here ive been browing through tho.

ill admit I was a bit worried going in to the theater @ 1201 on thrusday, but the opening titles immediately calmed me down, and left me riveted pretty much the entire movie- what more can I ask for. I knew the story backwards nad forwards and was still @ the edge of my seat. bad-ass.

and of course, it all starts with the opening credits. which it seems I missed when they were posted online!! can't belive WB took them down already but makes sense a day after the premiere. although, still, wtf, not a bad way to keep people talkign and passing around links whatever. they were gorgeous and i think a lot of people would go see the movie who were on the fence after seeing it.

anyway, cause of work, I can't go back to the theater until next week, and i really really really really wanna see the opening titles before then. on repeat for the next 5 days prob. especially want to see the look on the comedian's face after he takes out JFK from the grassy knoll. that made me freeze up in my seat. soo realistic.

so if anybody downloaded them and would be willing to email it to me or like use rapidshare or something - PM me for my emaily addy. I would be ever so appreciated. also, don't 'worry about WB cause it's not copyright infrigment if it's only personal use.

thankkkkkkks!

Last edited by nicoblu710 on Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:45 pm 
Alien Squid Monster

DoomsdayClock wrote:
Well, WB has had the video pulled. It seems that Motionographer.com did not have clearance from WB to post it. If you missed it, sorry.

Ah, fuckin' lame.

It's not like seeing the opening credits online is going to stop people from going to see the movie.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:49 pm 
Gazing into the abyss.

You know what I just noticed watching the opening titles for the twentieth time? Hooded Justice caresses Metropolis' cheek just a LITTLE but. It's so subtle. I love it!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:51 pm 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

Pagliacci wrote:
DoomsdayClock wrote:

Ah, fuckin' lame.

It's not like seeing the opening credits online is going to stop people from going to see the movie.

If anything it would encourage them. A few years back I watched the (generous) opening 20 minutes (or something like that) of A Scanner Darkly that had been put up online officially and it got my bum on the cinema seat. But rules are rules and WB were right to pull the video. Marketing the film is their job, even if they didn't do such a great job this time.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:13 pm 

AYBGerrardo wrote:
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but se7en had amazing opening titles.

Arrrhhh. Kyle Cooper, who founded the awesome Imaginary Forces company. Great designer. They have done a hell of a lot of good stuff over the years and have grown considerably as a company. Their online archive is worth a browse.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:54 pm 
Minuteman

The opening credits were beautiful.

Why do I feel like the image where Dollar Bill is shot, was a frame that came out of the comic? but I'm looking in my copy of watchmen and I can't find it, maybe it's just my imagination.

did anyone else feel this way? with this particular scene in the opening or any other?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:56 pm 
New Frontiersman

My favorite scene in the credits would have to be the peace protest condemning Nixon, where the girl places a flower on the gun before all of the soldiers shoot at the mob of citizens. Who else feels that way?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:15 pm 

swedishskinjerr wrote:
My favorite scene in the credits would have to be the peace protest condemning Nixon, where the girl places a flower on the gun before all of the soldiers shoot at the mob of citizens. Who else feels that way?

Yes it was a very nice touch having the Kent State debacle in there. A really good example of Snyder's desire to 'culture-ise' the film, as is the re-enactment of the classic V-day Times Square photo substituting Silhouette for the sailor, and the Sally Jupiter for Enola Gay bombing Hiroshima. Two real stand-out shots for me. Both got murmurs of appreciation at the screening I went to.

Last edited by Mister Pain on Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:17 pm 
Silk Swinger of Suburbia

What I don't understand is if that protest is specifically supposed to be Kent State or not. If it is, that's not how it really happened, but it's also (I think) the only segment of the titles in which no superhero or superhero-related items are present. Are we to assume that perhaps the Comedian was present or something? Otherwise that segment doesn't make as much sense as the rest.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:33 pm 
Crimebuster

It's used to illustrate in this changed history that the Man really don't give a fuck...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:41 pm 
So impotent.

I was chocked up too! :geek:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:29 am 
Tired of Earth.

audiothief wrote:
Why do I feel like the image where Dollar Bill is shot, was a frame that came out of the comic? but I'm looking in my copy of watchmen and I can't find it, maybe it's just my imagination.

Dollar Bill's murder only happened off-panel. Still, that shot does look like something Gibbons could have drawn, doesn't it?

Hell, I could say the same thing for 90 percent of the shots in that opening montage. It really was kind of like "Watchmen: The Lost Panels."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next