WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:56 am 
Genetically-Altered Lynx

I don't know if anybody's noticed this or mentioned it yet, but the version that was up for download (before it was taken down) is actually different that what is in the film.

The video is all the same, but the music syncs up differently.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:25 am 
So impotent.

The protests in the titles may not be Kent State (1970) but the march near The Pentagon on 21 October 1967 (where no shooting took place in our timeline).

That is where indeed the photo that inspired the shot was made :

http://festival.magnumphotos.com/60_years_1967.php described on Wikipedia : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Rose_Kasmir

BTW those events involved both the National Guard. Why are MPs shown in the sequence ?

Here is also the V-J Day photograph :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vj_day_kiss.jpg

I failed to see who is nearby Castro nor did I found an imaged it is based upon. The military parades in Moscow are on Labour Day also, there should be no snow.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:08 am 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

It's been covered that the 'Kent State' shot is an amalgam of events, a hybrid designed to illustrate the social mood of the period.
It's Kruschev with Castro.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:24 am 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

It looks like we're not the only ones comparing the opening titles to some of the best ever made:

http://www.totalfilm.com/features/6-unf ... -sequences

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:58 am 
Alien Squid Monster

Sorry if I'm a little late in responding here. I'm pretty new to the board.

Anyway, I too got a little misty eyed at the openning titles. I thought they were terrific and I got chills.

Loved the Last Supper picture!

Also got misty eyed at the Rorschach final "Do it" scene. Sniffles.

I have to say though, that though I do think that Dylan song, "Times they are a Changin'", was a fitting pick, I absolutely cannot stand that song! Argh. About a year ago some danged commercial featured it and it was played again and again to the point that I had to run to change the channel. That song was stuck in my head for the longest time. And now, it's back, torturing me. Argh!

Last edited by Biosynth on Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:09 am 
…a puppet who can see the strings.

Biosynth wrote:
I have to say though, that though I do think that Dylan song, "Times they are a Changin'", was a fitting pick, I aboslutely cannot stand that song! Argh. About a year ago some danged commercial featured it and it was played again and again to the point that I had to run to change the channel. That song was stuck in my head for the longest time. And now, it's back, torturing me. Argh!

All you have to do is admit that the waters around you have grown.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:48 pm 
Gazing into the abyss.

(Re: Pulling down in the video) Boooo! Well...does anyone have any screencaps of the sequence at least?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:57 pm 
...I am Pagliacci.

Interesting that the actual titles are reflected in the astronaut Neil Armstrong's visor on the moon, as though they are a part of the "universe" itself.

Commentary on the art of comic books versus film?

of life to the decoding of the undulation of things."
-Nabokov, "Signs and Symbols"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:02 pm 
New Frontiersman

It's difficult to compare the art style of a GN to a film, where the more artistic touches of the book are realistically limited to the boundaries and budget of a movie. It was awesome that Watchmen's principle artist, Dave Gibbons, assisted the film crew with storyboard designs and such. His involvement was clear.

Visually, Watchmen is a treat.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:36 pm 
So impotent.

I could watch the Watchmen opening credits over and over again, too. I also love the opening credits for Zombieland. I also heard that Halo might be getting the same type of opening credits sequence in the beginning of the movie. Can't wait to see that! The Watchmen opening credits to me is the best part of the movie. Though I loved the Watchmen movie and it is my favorite movie, I honestly have to add that this was a great part of the movie. It completed the film. It's sort of like how J.K. Simmons made Burn After Reading by being in the film. It's all there and it makes the film go brighter. Same as Watchmen, we see exclusive details and plot, which builds the film's interest. In other words, the Watchmen opening credits is my favorite part of the entire movie.

What's in the Watchmen opening credits:

* Hollis Mason stopping a mugging of the Wayne family. This practically stops Batman from existing. We see Hollis Mason punching the mugger, blood is soaring from his mouth, and we also see the mugger shoot the gun and a bullet fly by Hollis Mason's head. A man is taking a photograph of the entire event.

* Sally Jupiter being recognized by the police for fighting crime. Notice that some of the cops behind her begin to look at her private areas. This continues to show that Sally Jupiter was a huge sex symbol.

* The Comedian stopping a bank robber as he flees the scene. The Comedian smiles wildly, as photographers take his picture, him gladly welcoming it. The bag with the money is being held, while the robber shoots off his gun in anger.

* The Minutemen photo is taking place. Before the man takes the picture, the group prepares to pose for the shot. In the shot: Sally Jupiter, Hollis Mason, The Comedian, Hooded Justice, Captain Metropolis, Mothman, Dollar Bill, Silhouette.

* The Enola Gay dropping the bomb on Hiroshima. In the background, we see the mushroom cloud. Painted on the side, is none other than Sally Jupiter holding the American Flag, reading "Miss Jupiter". This is ironic, due to the fact that Hiroshima killed so many people, and this happens at the end of the movie.

* In the V-Day celebration in the streets, Silhouette watches happily as women celebrate. Rather than a Navy sailor, Silhouette walks up to a nurse and kisses her passionately. This ends up being Silhouette's girlfriend, who is later murdered with her. A man takes a photo of this while a sailor smiles at it walking by, and a woman points at it in amazement, laughing in happiness.

* Dollar Bill's cape is stuck in a revolving door. He was trying to stop a bank robbery from taking place. Waiting at the door, his cape got stuck in the entrance's revolving door. When the robber arrived, Dollar Bill was violently shot down. Cops discuss the crime scene, as a photo for investigation is taken. Curious citizens watch from the other side of the street through the glass of the revolving door.

* The celebration for Sally Jupiter retiring due to her pregnancy. A man takes a photo of the event. Sitting at the table is Sally Jupiter, Hollis Mason, The Comedian, Hooded Justice, Captain Metropolis, Mothman, Silhouette, Laurence Schexnayder, Silhouette's girlfriend. Notice that to the far right of the table, Hooded Justice and Captain Metropolis are talking away gleefully. Keep in mind that it was later revealed Hooded Justice and Captain Metropolis both had a homosexual relationship between one another. Sally Jupiter, The Comedian, Mothman, and Laurence Schexnayder are having an argumentative discussion about something. Hollis Mason raises his arm up to Laurence Schexnayder to calm him down. This is a reference to The Last Supper.

* Mothman being taken away to an asylum up in Maine. He struggles as people curiously watch on the streets and sidewalks; police try to hold them back. Mothman bites one of the doctors, but, does not refuse to let go. Mothman falls backwards into a hospitalized coat before he is taken away in the car.

* Silhouette and her girlfriend are seen dead on the bed, blood everywhere. The V-Day photo in the newspaper is lying on the bed. Silhouette's girlfriend, whom is a nurse, has her hat lying on the nightstand next to the bed. On the wall, written in blood, reads "Lesbian whores". The villain Liquidator supposedly had murdered them.

* A man holding a newspaper reading: "Russ have a-bomb". A man walks out of a room, a woman is seen semi-undressed. She smiles. The man puts on his hat as he is walking out the door and rubs Rorschach on the head. Rorschach looks up at him angrily, and in a depressing way. Her next customer begins to stand up. Ironically, Rorschach's apartment lady sees him later on in the book. He would just have killed her, but, he sees her kids standing there, which stops him. He sees himself in one of those kids and is reminded of what he had to go through, so he lets it alone since she tells him they don't know.

* Dr. Manhattan and John F. Kennedy shake hands. Jackie Kennedy tries to settle her kids down; they are all neatly dressed. Wally Weaver and Dr. Glass watch as they shake hands and congratulate, as well as complement, one another.

* John F. Kennedy's assassination takes place. John F. Kennedy's bodyguard tries to protect the president, as Jackie Kennedy motions around. He tells her to stay seated, hold the president, and duck. The bodyguard is looking around for where the bullet might have come from as he leans on the car. We actually see where The Zapruder Film was shot, rather than having the vantage point of the film itself. We see people jumping for protection as they realize what has happened. As the car comes out of sight, we see The Comedian smiling with a gun, cleverly turned the other way. He turns back around and hides out by going to join the crowd.

* We see Sally Jupiter and Laurence Schexnayder arguing, their marriage coming to an end. We see a young Silk Spectre making her way down the hallway, watching her parents argue and fight. The snow globe from the book is sitting on top of the TV. The TV is showing somebody setting themselves on fire protesting Vietnam War.

* We see Rorschach's victims, two men bloodied and beaten dead, tied to a fire hydrant. The cop viewing them with a flashlight, lowers it to reveal Rorschach's symbol on a piece of paper, which is blown away by the wind.

* Castro, as planes fly overhead, he smiles smoking his cigar. In the background, missiles are stocked.

* Kent State Shootings takes place. A woman places a flower resembling peace in the cap of a gun. The guns fire off. We hear people scream.

* Andy Warhol standing next to his costume paintings of the current crop of superheroes. The press and media are asking him questions. A male model walks by.

* The Apollo 11 moon landings, a mishap has taken place, and the spaceship is broken. Stranded on the moon, Dr. Manhattan assists in repairing it. He is seen in the reflection of one of the astronaut's suits holding a piece to fix it.

* Ozymandias taking pride in himself, he nods to the media and walks over to shake hands with David Bowie and Mick Jagger, which happens to be in front of Studio 54.

* The Watchmen photo. In the shot: The Comedian, Rorschach, Nite Owl, Ozymandias, Dr. Manhattan, Silk Spectre.

* Inside a TV store, we see some TVs. On them are: Richard Nixon, a news segment on the banning of masked vigilantes, and the Doomsday Clock. We zoom out and see taking place in front of the TV store, is The Riots. A man throws a flammable and explosive substance or mixture into the TV store, which blows up the place. We see the rioters ducking for cover.

Like I said, the Watchmen opening credits are amazing. IMO, the best part of the movie.

You can watch the Watchmen opening credits here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=573XmVOdD2Q

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:29 pm 
A pretty butterfly.

I always wondered why the robber that the Comedian had around by the neck still had his gun at the time of the photograph lol. Pretty risky taking a photograph with a still armed bank robber firing off a machine gun. Heh

http://vimeo.com/korireaymackey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:48 pm 
Tired of Earth.

T.V. wrote:
Interesting that the actual titles are reflected in the astronaut Neil Armstrong's visor on the moon, as though they are a part of the "universe" itself.

Commentary on the art of comic books versus film?

the titles have a shadow when we see Dollar Bill's corpse being photographed.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:35 pm 
Labored long to build a heaven.

Lil' Bernie wrote:
I always wondered why the robber that the Comedian had around by the neck still had his gun at the time of the photograph lol. Pretty risky taking a photograph with a still armed bank robber firing off a machine gun. Heh

Yeah...If I were a vigilante then the first thing I would do would be to discard any firearms or other weapons.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:56 pm 
Vigilante

fspades wrote:
Little Kovacs and his mother.

That's the one. The one scene I will always remember from that movie. In fact it was the first scene of the film that made me think I was going to enjoy it.

What the hand, dare seize the fire?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:41 am 
A pretty butterfly.

Very nice post, jokerboy1991. It's well written and the passion you have for the opening credits really shines through.

I do have a few comments, if you don't mind. A few point out some hidden "Easter Eggs" that you missed, so don't read the rest of the post if you want to find them yourself.

jokerboy1991 wrote:
* Hollis Mason stopping a mugging of the Wayne family. This practically stops Batman from existing. We see Hollis Mason punching the mugger, blood is soaring from his mouth, and we also see the mugger shoot the gun and a bullet fly by Hollis Mason's head. A man is taking a photograph of the entire event.

If you didn't catch the name of the building they're at, you should keep an eye out for it during your next viewing. It reinforces the theory that Hollis is stopping the mugging of the Wayne family.

jokerboy1991 wrote:
* The Comedian stopping a bank robber as he flees the scene. The Comedian smiles wildly, as photographers take his picture, him gladly welcoming it. The bag with the money is being held, while the robber shoots off his gun in anger.

After reading what everyone had to say about this shot, I think I need to point something out. I don't think that this shot is supposed to represent the Comedian stopping an actual bank robber -- note that Blake and the robber are standing perfectly posed in front of the bank's banner, almost as if they were placed there to achieve the best photograph possible.

Also take into account the robber's goofy expression and the fact that he's firing a tommy gun into the air with no one caring, even the photographers. While on the subject of them, isn't it weird that at least two photographers happen to be at the scene just as Blake nabs the crook? One of the photographers even has a large camera on a tripod -- which is the last thing a passer-by would be carrying, let alone actually being able to set it all up to snap a photo.

I think that this shot was supposed to be The Comedian having his photograph taken by the press for a news story about the sudden emergence of the superhero "fad." Hence the well-posed robber (who could of been a professional model or actor) firing a gun. Now, to clear something up, I don't think that a robbery was staged; I think that there was no robbery. I think that what we see is nothing more than a professional photography session, much like the shot preceding this one: Sally being photographed with the cops by the press.

Note the symmetry:

Sally: Intentionally posed and being photographed by two photographers (with each one occupying the bottom corner of the frame).

Blake: In a perfectly-done pose being photographed by two photographers (with each one occupying the bottom corner of the frame).

Admittedly, it's just a theory. I could be wrong.

On a different topic, and this probably just a fanboy grasping at straws, but this event could also be what gave the bank the idea to hire their own superhero mascot, Dollar Bill.

jokerboy1991 wrote:
* We see Rorschach's victims, two men bloodied and beaten dead, tied to a fire hydrant. The cop viewing them with a flashlight, lowers it to reveal Rorschach's symbol on a piece of paper, which is blown away by the wind.

Reading this gave me two ideas:

1: I always assumed that the two men were unconscious, not dead. Now that you bring it up, I'm actually not sure which they're supposed to be. Interesting.

2: I doubt this was intentional, but the wind blowing away Rorschach's symbol could be read symbolically -- that no matter how many criminals Rorschach brings down, his effect and imprint on the city (and to a larger extent, the world) will eventually be "blown away" and forgotten, as if it had never existed in the first place.

jokerboy1991 wrote:
* The Apollo 11 moon landings, a mishap has taken place, and the spaceship is broken. Stranded on the moon, Dr. Manhattan assists in repairing it. He is seen in the reflection of one of the astronaut's suits holding a piece to fix it.

I think that Manhattan is holding a camera in his hands, not a piece of the shuttle.

jokerboy1991 wrote:
* Ozymandias taking pride in himself, he nods to the media and walks over to shake hands with David Bowie and Mick Jagger, which happens to be in front of Studio 54.

In addition to Bowie and Jagger, there's a few more famous musicians in this shot.

;)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:09 pm 
The Watcher

Sasso wrote:
jokerboy1991 wrote:

If you didn't catch the name of the building they're at, you should keep an eye out for it during your next viewing. It reinforces the theory that Hollis is stopping the mugging of the Wayne family.

It's supposed to be a "homage" to the infamous fictional Wayne family mugging, but that is not the actual Wayne family. This event is taking place in New York City, not Gotham, plus, there are ads for the Batman comic book on the wall behind them.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:12 pm 

DoomsdayClock wrote:
Sasso wrote:
jokerboy1991 wrote:

It's supposed to be a "homage" to the infamous fictional Wayne family mugging, but that is not the actual Wayne family. This event is taking place in New York City, not Gotham, plus, there are ads for the Batman comic book on the wall behind them.

Yeah the idea that Nite Owl is actually saving Wayne's parents makes absolutely no sense.

Sasso wrote:
jokerboy1991 wrote:

Reading this gave me two ideas:

1: I always assumed that the two men were unconscious, not dead. Now that you bring it up, I'm actually not sure which they're supposed to be. Interesting.

Actually, it wouldn't make any sense to tie them up if they're dead.

Also, I'm pretty sure this was supposed to be the scene from the comic where Rorschach tells Dr. Long that he used to let criminals live. It then shows a panel with two criminals tied up to a fire hydrant with the Rorschach symbol by them on a piece of paper.

Sasso wrote:
jokerboy1991 wrote:

After reading what everyone had to say about this shot, I think I need to point something out. I don't think that this shot is supposed to represent the Comedian stopping an actual bank robber -- note that Blake and the robber are standing perfectly posed in front of the bank's banner, almost as if they were placed there to achieve the best photograph possible.

Also take into account the robber's goofy expression and the fact that he's firing a tommy gun into the air with no one caring, even the photographers. While on the subject of them, isn't it weird that at least two photographers happen to be at the scene just as Blake nabs the crook? One of the photographers even has a large camera on a tripod -- which is the last thing a passer-by would be carrying, let alone actually being able to set it all up to snap a photo.

I think that this shot was supposed to be The Comedian having his photograph taken by the press for a news story about the sudden emergence of the superhero "fad." Hence the well-posed robber (who could of been a professional model or actor) firing a gun. Now, to clear something up, I don't think that a robbery was staged; I think that there was no robbery. I think that what we see is nothing more than a professional photography session, much like the shot preceding this one: Sally being photographed with the cops by the press.

Then why the hell would they have him shooting a gun?

Way to go the extra mile, photographers.

Last edited by Godziller66 on Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:55 am 

I was just about to reply to Mister Pain's post but then it magically disappeared...

:(

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:21 am 
...look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

I realised there was a strong possibility I was blowing chalk dust around with ass-wind. Or, that I was basing my comment on faulty and erroneous memories that cannot be verified due to the distance between me and my copy of the GN... whichever image you find most easy to work with.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:41 am 
A pretty butterfly.

DoomsdayClock wrote:

Ah. That does make a lot more sense. Thanks for clearing that up.

Godziller66 wrote:
Then why the hell would they have him shooting a gun?

To make it a really awesome picture, of course.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next