WatchmenComicMovie.com Forum

Talk about the Watchmen comic book mini-series and film
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:09 pm 
So impotent.

Sasso wrote:
Very nice post, jokerboy1991. It's well written and the passion you have for the opening credits really shines through.

I do have a few comments, if you don't mind. A few point out some hidden "Easter Eggs" that you missed, so don't read the rest of the post if you want to find them yourself.

jokerboy1991 wrote:
* Hollis Mason stopping a mugging of the Wayne family. This practically stops Batman from existing. We see Hollis Mason punching the mugger, blood is soaring from his mouth, and we also see the mugger shoot the gun and a bullet fly by Hollis Mason's head. A man is taking a photograph of the entire event.

If you didn't catch the name of the building they're at, you should keep an eye out for it during your next viewing. It reinforces the theory that Hollis is stopping the mugging of the Wayne family.

jokerboy1991 wrote:
* The Comedian stopping a bank robber as he flees the scene. The Comedian smiles wildly, as photographers take his picture, him gladly welcoming it. The bag with the money is being held, while the robber shoots off his gun in anger.

After reading what everyone had to say about this shot, I think I need to point something out. I don't think that this shot is supposed to represent the Comedian stopping an actual bank robber -- note that Blake and the robber are standing perfectly posed in front of the bank's banner, almost as if they were placed there to achieve the best photograph possible.

Also take into account the robber's goofy expression and the fact that he's firing a tommy gun into the air with no one caring, even the photographers. While on the subject of them, isn't it weird that at least two photographers happen to be at the scene just as Blake nabs the crook? One of the photographers even has a large camera on a tripod -- which is the last thing a passer-by would be carrying, let alone actually being able to set it all up to snap a photo.

I think that this shot was supposed to be The Comedian having his photograph taken by the press for a news story about the sudden emergence of the superhero "fad." Hence the well-posed robber (who could of been a professional model or actor) firing a gun. Now, to clear something up, I don't think that a robbery was staged; I think that there was no robbery. I think that what we see is nothing more than a professional photography session, much like the shot preceding this one: Sally being photographed with the cops by the press.

Note the symmetry:

Sally: Intentionally posed and being photographed by two photographers (with each one occupying the bottom corner of the frame).

Blake: In a perfectly-done pose being photographed by two photographers (with each one occupying the bottom corner of the frame).

Admittedly, it's just a theory. I could be wrong.

On a different topic, and this probably just a fanboy grasping at straws, but this event could also be what gave the bank the idea to hire their own superhero mascot, Dollar Bill.

jokerboy1991 wrote:
* We see Rorschach's victims, two men bloodied and beaten dead, tied to a fire hydrant. The cop viewing them with a flashlight, lowers it to reveal Rorschach's symbol on a piece of paper, which is blown away by the wind.

Reading this gave me two ideas:

1: I always assumed that the two men were unconscious, not dead. Now that you bring it up, I'm actually not sure which they're supposed to be. Interesting.

2: I doubt this was intentional, but the wind blowing away Rorschach's symbol could be read symbolically -- that no matter how many criminals Rorschach brings down, his effect and imprint on the city (and to a larger extent, the world) will eventually be "blown away" and forgotten, as if it had never existed in the first place.

jokerboy1991 wrote:
* The Apollo 11 moon landings, a mishap has taken place, and the spaceship is broken. Stranded on the moon, Dr. Manhattan assists in repairing it. He is seen in the reflection of one of the astronaut's suits holding a piece to fix it.

I think that Manhattan is holding a camera in his hands, not a piece of the shuttle.

jokerboy1991 wrote:
* Ozymandias taking pride in himself, he nods to the media and walks over to shake hands with David Bowie and Mick Jagger, which happens to be in front of Studio 54.

In addition to Bowie and Jagger, there's a few more famous musicians in this shot.

;)

Nice easter eggs! Thanks for those! There is something I would like to point out. If you watch the Watchmen WB Ultimate Experience on Blu-ray Disc, you get to see the storyboards Zack Snyder drew, and it shows The Comedian running to tackle a bank robber.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:05 pm 
Labored long to build a heaven.

jokerboy1991 wrote:
Nice easter eggs! Thanks for those! There is something I would like to point out. If you watch the Watchmen WB Ultimate Experience on Blu-ray Disc, you get to see the storyboards Zack Snyder drew, and it shows The Comedian running to tackle a bank robber.

Interesting...

Sasso wrote:
Godziller66 wrote:
Then why the hell would they have him shooting a gun?

To make it a really awesome picture, of course.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:52 am 
So impotent.

According to Zack Snyder, there are missing scenes. They filmed them but, the opening credits "just got too long."

2 that I know of are:
[*] The Comedian putting up the Iwo Jima flag by himself
[*] Richard Nixon getting sworn in

Does anybody know of any other "missing scenes" in the opening credits?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:38 am 
Labored long to build a heaven.

jokerboy1991 wrote:

I know that there's a storyboard of Einstein crying after the use of the atomic bomb but I don't know if it was filmed or not.

I think that would have been a cool addition.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:20 pm 
So impotent.

Godziller66 wrote:
jokerboy1991 wrote:

I know that there's a storyboard of Einstein crying after the use of the atomic bomb but I don't know if it was filmed or not.

I think that would have been a cool addition.

In all honesty, I think that was filmed. That would have been cool. :(

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:31 pm 
So impotent.

jokerboy1991 wrote:
* We see Rorschach's victims, two men bloodied and beaten dead, tied to a fire hydrant. The cop viewing them with a led flashlight, lowers it to reveal Rorschach's symbol on a piece of paper, which is blown away by the wind.

Are you sure that was a flashlight ? I think it was a led torchlight :-P

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8